* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-28 15:06 rog
From: rog @ 2001-11-28 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

maybe you could do an interface in the style of /net,
rather than having channels as literally named files.
i.e. a clone file and a ctl file into which you'd write
"connect #/\/\/\_Hey_/\/\/\#"
and read/write the data file for messages.

in fact, you could event bind it into /net, teach /net/cs about it,
and then you'd be able to do:

telnet 'irc!#/\/\/\_Hey_/\/\/\#'

i know nothing of irc so i don't know if this would make any sense
at all; it's just a thought.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2312 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] IRC
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:14:02 +0000

> why not do it the plan 9 way, if you're going to write a complete client
> anyway? ircfs? sounds right, doesn it?
>
> $ ircfs <mynick> <myserver>
> $ cd /irc/#mychan1
> $ echo "hi all" >> data
> $ cat topic
> $ ls 				# /who #mychan1
>
> (in a different window)
> $ cd /irc/#mychan2
> $ #...
>
> andrey

irc channel names are invalid plan9 file names

You are now talking on #/\/\/\_Hey_/\/\/\#

http://www.rfc.net/rfc1459.html

I've spent a few hours thinking about it but never came up with an elegant
solution that I liked.

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-28 16:10 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-11-28 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm no IRC guru, but couldn't you have:

    /n/irc/[0-9]*/name
                 /data
                 /ctl

and some minimal client to transmogrify the numbered dirs into names?

* RE: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-28 23:32   ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2001-11-28 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>     /n/irc/[0-9]*/name
>                  /data
>                  /ctl
>
> and some minimal client to transmogrify the numbered dirs into names?

I like this approach as it also allows things like "hidden window"
functionality as in BitchX and irssi.  Very convenient for the crazy
folk like I who frequent many channels/servers at the same time.

~Jason

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2003-08-18 22:02   ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2003-08-18 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> > some of us from this list are gathering on #plan9 @
> > irc.freenode.net
>
> when it comes to IRC, I'm green.  have you tried it with irctools?
> what is the port number?  I've tried 59/113 and 194.
>
> p.s.  are there updates to irctools?  btw, i don't see them on rsc's
> page or in sources.

Any object if we post this on the H18 page?

 -- --
      ravage@ssz.com                            jchoate@open-forge.com
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.com

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2003-08-18 18:32   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-08-18 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:

> > some of us from this list are gathering on #plan9 @
> > irc.freenode.net
>
> when it comes to IRC, I'm green.  have you tried it with irctools?
> what is the port number?  I've tried 59/113 and 194.
>
> p.s.  are there updates to irctools?  btw, i don't see them on rsc's
> page or in sources.

I use IRC on unix, unfortunately. There are several irc clients written for
Plan 9 (even I did one back in 2000) but their usability is at best
questionable. Try googling for 9irc. Another one is called 'ircc' but I
haven't had a chance to look at it.

'sirc' is a unix irc client written in Perl, it works fine in Plan 9 after
slight modifications. Email me privately if you want it (or if anyone else
wants it).

Ideally we'd have an ircfs and an Irc module for acme. Nobody willing to
write it, though :)

andrey

ps: the irc port to connect to is 6667, then you'd '/join #plan9'

* [9fans] IRC
@ 2003-08-18 18:18 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2003-08-18 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-29 11:25 ` josh d
From: josh d @ 2001-11-29 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  My name is josh, but you can call me red_vigil SPAM yahoo.com

"Jonathan Sergent" <sergent@io.com> wrote in message
> >  I would appreciate it if you would send me a copy... just so i can see
how
> >you hacked it up.  I was planning on doing a little of this myself,
except
> >for a more in-depth client... with multiple channels, all the RFC stuff
> >taboot.
>
> Might be able to do that if I had your email address.

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-28 15:43 Jonathan Sergent
From: Jonathan Sergent @ 2001-11-28 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-28 15:06 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-11-28 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

/irc/^(1 2 3 ...)
and /irc/*/name

hth

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-28 14:51 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-11-28 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the way i sometimes structure this is similar to acme's: to have the usual connection directory
with clone (or new) and an index.  a ctl request sets a name that shows up in the index.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2316 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:14:02 +0000

@ 2001-11-28 14:14     ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-11-28 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-28 13:27   ` Andrey A Mirtchovski
From: Andrey A Mirtchovski @ 2001-11-28 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

why not do it the plan 9 way, if you're going to write a complete client
anyway? ircfs? sounds right, doesn it?

$ ircfs <mynick> <myserver>
$ cd /irc/#mychan1
$ echo "hi all" >> data
$ cat topic
$ ls 				# /who #mychan1

(in a different window)
$ cd /irc/#mychan2
$ #...

andrey

ps: i'd gladly write it myself have i had a working plan9 installation.
how many times have we heard that excuse :)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, josh d wrote:

>   I would appreciate it if you would send me a copy... just so i can see how
> you hacked it up.  I was planning on doing a little of this myself, except
> for a more in-depth client... with multiple channels, all the RFC stuff
> taboot.

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-28  9:52 ` josh d
From: josh d @ 2001-11-28  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  I would appreciate it if you would send me a copy... just so i can see how
you hacked it up.  I was planning on doing a little of this myself, except
for a more in-depth client... with multiple channels, all the RFC stuff
taboot.

              thanks
             - josh

> On Friday, November 23, 2001, at 04:34 AM, Rob Clews wrote:
> > Are there (and do you have any links for) any IRC clients for Plan 9 or
> > Inferno?
>
> I hacked ircii to compile with APE and use it in dumb mode (irc -d) with
> a rio window.  Works well enough for me...

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-23 15:30 ` andrey
From: andrey @ 2001-11-23 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i had a client written about a year or so ago.. i don't have it anymore,
but someone else might?

it was something like 70 lines of code (one channel only), so why not write
one yourself? it was a good exercise for p9 nwebies like me :)

Rob Clews wrote:

> Are there (and do you have any links for) any IRC clients for Plan 9 or
> Inferno?

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-23 14:31 Jonathan Sergent
From: Jonathan Sergent @ 2001-11-23 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-11-23 12:23   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-11-23 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I contributed a basic irc bot to the repo :
> http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo/

Due to various and miscellaneous other stuff I have been very slack
at maintaining this, but it's all a bit of a moot point because it
will go away soon.

* Re: [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-23 10:22 ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-11-23 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday 23 November 2001 09:34, you wrote:
> Are there (and do you have any links for) any IRC clients for Plan 9 or
> Inferno?

Well there's a project on Sourceforge for an Inferno IRC client and I know
because it's mine.

Sadly it's one of many irc client projects on sourceforge to never get any
source code. I did manage to start a nice homepage for it.
http://jacopo.sourceforge.net

I contributed a basic irc bot to the repo :
http://mapage.noos.fr/~repo/

although the bot is actually at :
http://www.proweb.co.uk/~matt/chugly.rc

it's nothing fancy, I just had to start somewhere :)
It's written in rc shell script which is something I guess.
It also let's remote users execute rm -rf / on your machine among other
nasties

I did want to mount the irc channels as a file system but ran into problems
with disallowed filenames on the various inferno hosts.

Matt

* [9fans] IRC
@ 2001-11-23  9:34 Rob Clews
From: Rob Clews @ 2001-11-23  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Are there (and do you have any links for) any IRC clients for Plan 9 or
Inferno?

A *long* search on the net prodcues nothing.

Cheers