* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16 19:54 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-16 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Have you tried using a shielded vga cable or shielding it yourself
> with aluminium foil?.
>
> Sometimes our good old pal Faraday has the solution... :-).

Don't forget to shield your head with alumin(i)um foil.
This will protect you from the Government Mind Control
rays.  I read about this on the Internet.

[Sorry, just couldn't resist!]

* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16 21:32 ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-11-16 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hey you makin' fun of me.... :-)

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, David Gordon Hogan wrote:

> > Have you tried using a shielded vga cable or shielding it yourself
> > with aluminium foil?.
> >
> > Sometimes our good old pal Faraday has the solution... :-).
>
> Don't forget to shield your head with alumin(i)um foil.
> This will protect you from the Government Mind Control
> rays.  I read about this on the Internet.
>
> [Sorry, just couldn't resist!]

--sam

* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16 19:51 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-16 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've experienced similar phenomena in the past.  I'd put
it down to temporal correlations in address bus usage,
leading to an audio frequency spike in the frequency
domain of the EM signal that it emits.  The address bus
is the antenna, and you can't really tie a knot in it :-)

You just need better sound hardware.  Most PC sound
cards are crap.  They are not adequately shielded (in
fact, generally not shielded at all).

One possibility is one of these new-fangled USB->SP/DIF
convertors, and plug the SP/DIF (digital audio) into a
modern amplifier that supports it.  Sape's working on the
driver support for this I believe.

Perhaps USB powered speakers would do the trick.

You could also get a professional quality audio card; I
think there's one made by a company called Turtle Beach
or something; some music stores here sell them.  No idea
if they are Plan 9 compatible.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1611 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:15:26 +0900

This is just from curiosity. :-)

My DEC PC leaks small sound to my speaker␣boxes when I move the mouse.
When I do it on an acme window, it sounds in lower pitches than on
a raw rio windows.  Yes, the difference is considerablly large.  I suppose
this may reflect the rate of something related to detect the mouse event.
If so, that is higher in raw rio than in acme.   Is this right?  :-)

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16  3:45 ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2001-11-16  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rob pike writes:
 > Tie a knot in the mouse cord near the connector on the PC box.
 > Better, wrap a ferrite core around the cord, again near the PC.
 > The idea is to damp the RF noise coming up the cable, which is
 > acting like an antenna.

May or may not be. If it is "chattering" more than just making noise,
the problem may not be on the mouse but on the vga cable or somewhere else...

My keyboard cord made my speaker chat and it already had a ferrite
core on it (it came with it). In this case it was just low-frec noise
coming through the line in of the soundcard which was conected to a tv
card. Adjusting the mixer and separating physically the two wires made
this noise more bearable.

If there is a distinct noise on each event, I would expect the noise
to be from the mouse acting as a low-frec source or generated by
some hi-frec source triggered by the mouse events like a variation on
the screen produced by moving the mouse.

There may also be some armonics generated by the mouse circuitry or something
which you may stop with the ferrite core, ... so try the ferrite anyway...

HTH
---
			Saludos,
		                 Gorka
"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16  3:01 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-11-16  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Tie a knot in the mouse cord near the connector on the PC box.
Better, wrap a ferrite core around the cord, again near the PC.
The idea is to damp the RF noise coming up the cable, which is
acting like an antenna.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16  2:35 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-11-16  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>talking about. Move the mouse -- noise. Type a char in a terminal -- noise.

It's intersting, you say it "noise", I say it's "chattering".  :-)

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16  2:35     ` andrey
From: andrey @ 2001-11-16  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

paurea@dei.inf.uc3m.es wrote:

> Have you tried using a shielded vga cable or shielding it yourself
> with aluminium foil?.

i'm not having any other problems with the machine (a wiNTel station).. the speaker
'speaks' only when on 'eXcursion'...

There's hidden Zen in the whole thing, but i'm yet to find it...

andrey

* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16  2:26   ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2001-11-16  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16  2:06 ` andrey
From: andrey @ 2001-11-16  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have an old piece of DEC software called 'eXcursion' here, that supposedly
allows me to connect to remote X servers. It makes the same noises you're
talking about. Move the mouse -- noise. Type a char in a terminal -- noise.
Connect to a server -- a 30 minute symphony...

I've been trying to make it stop forever but it doesn't give in...

It's bearable when I have twm as my window manager, but trying anything more
graphicky (i'm not even touching kde/gnome) could make a polar bear run in
circles... Needless to say, my colleagues love me!

andrey

@ 2001-11-16  1:43 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-11-16  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Actually, that sound may be a reflection of working CPU.
When I send a mail, a very short sound with higher pitch arise, too.
Yes, I have chattering PC here.  :-)

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2369 bytes --]

From: Skip Tavakkolian <fst@real.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 17:34:02 -0800

Time for a vacation!

@ 2001-11-16  1:34 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2001-11-16  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Time for a vacation!

At 10:15 AM 11/16/2001 +0900, you wrote:
>This is just from curiosity. :-)
>
>My DEC PC leaks small sound to my speaker␣boxes when I move the mouse.
>When I do it on an acme window, it sounds in lower pitches than on
>a raw rio windows.  Yes, the difference is considerablly large.  I suppose
>this may reflect the rate of something related to detect the mouse event.
>If so, that is higher in raw rio than in acme.   Is this right?  :-)
>
>Kenji

* [9fans] sound of moving mouse ^_^
@ 2001-11-16  1:15 okamoto