* [9fans] auth server question..
@ 2001-12-18 19:15 Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-12-18 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i just converted my standalone cpu/auth server to boot from a
floppy and connect to my fileserver for everything else. this
all seems to work fine. i am able to boot and use my terminal
without any issues but i do get the following message when i
boot the auth server:

boot: nop...session...no authentication server (can't
connect to AS: connection rejected (connect 192.168.69.40!566)),
using your key as server key
time...
mount: mount /n/termrc.tmp: can't connect to AS

i believe everything from "boot:" to "time..." is a result of
the 'chicken and egg' problem and can be ignored. please correct
me if i am wrong about that. the question is why do i get the
mount error? should i change the cpurc to have that section of
the script execute after the auth services and the listeners
are running or should i just ignore that as well?

--sam

* [9fans] Plan9 User
@ 2001-12-18 21:26 ` David Simmons
From: David Simmons @ 2001-12-18 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Obiwan - you are our last hope.....

Guys,

In the same vein, I've been researching and learning and hoping to find the
Mecca of OS's....I see Plan9 as a good competitor...and have yet to answer
these questions - can you help?:

1).  Can one machine (possibly a laptop) be all of the sub-componets of a
Plan9 layout (ie. the CPU Server and File Server and User Terminal)?  Want
to do some testing while on the road and need to put all on one machine -
Ok, I know that breaks the premise that Plan9 is a networked OS - just need
for concept testing.

2).  Where can I find User type applications?  As one would expect, the
majority of the apps available are geared toward software development and/or
lab settings.  Is there a base OS that programs can be easily ported from -
the docs say it's easy - but on a User level, can I download the source for
say, Samba, and have it work?  I've seen the various software collections,
but need to find things even as simple as a Tetris clone...I'm sure SOMEONE
has gone down this path and not hand-coded everything?

Thanks in advance,

Hopeful Plan9 User

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 User
@ 2001-12-18 21:35   ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2001-12-18 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 04:26:17PM -0500, David Simmons wrote:

> 1).  Can one machine (possibly a laptop) be all of the sub-componets of a
> Plan9 layout (ie. the CPU Server and File Server and User Terminal)?  Want
> to do some testing while on the road and need to put all on one machine -
> Ok, I know that breaks the premise that Plan9 is a networked OS - just need
> for concept testing.

Yes; this is what kfs is for.

> 2).  Where can I find User type applications?  As one would expect, the
> majority of the apps available are geared toward software development and/or
> lab settings.  Is there a base OS that programs can be easily ported from -
> the docs say it's easy - but on a User level, can I download the source for
> say, Samba, and have it work?  I've seen the various software collections,
> but need to find things even as simple as a Tetris clone...I'm sure SOMEONE
> has gone down this path and not hand-coded everything?

Not really.  Plan 9 != Unix, although some pieces can be ported easily
enough using ape.  Samba in particular has no hope of working.  I did
do a SMB/CIFS client this summer using the new lib9p, but I don't
think it is regularly used or distributed yet.  There are still some
odds and ends left to be done (printing, mounting IPC$ instead of a
specific share, encrypting the link (MD5 challenge/response works),
and multithreading).

 -WJ