* [9fans] Dual Boot: OpenBSD <=> Plan9
@ 2003-06-06  9:12 Hagen Paul Pfeifer
From: Hagen Paul Pfeifer @ 2003-06-06  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I have a question about dual boot. It is possibly to boot via the
bootloader grub and what are the parameter in menu.lst to start plan9?

Any hint's?

It's also possibly for me to switch to lilo!

Can anyone post some examples, I didn't found stuff in the net.

Hagen

* RE: [9fans] Dual Boot: OpenBSD <=> Plan9
@ 2003-06-08  3:02 John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2003-06-08  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Charles Smith (chas)" <chas@cisco.com>:
>My 11yr & 15yr old daughters mostly boot FreeBSD but I am getting them
>"gently" into Plan9. They refuse to move untill there is a Web Browser
>and the concepts in the rio interface are a bit "out  there" for them at
>the moment. Well as it is they have achieved top marks in Geekdom at
>their schools for running FreeBSD as their desktop. A comment from my 15
>year old this-morning was "Boy dad nethack is such a cool game!", it
>brought a tear to my eye and I am one PROUD DAD :)

This reminds my of a conversation I had with my 8 year old son as I was
installing plan9 on his machine:

	Anthony: What games are there on plan9?
	Me (somewhat embarassed): Well, none actually.
	Long Pause.
	Anthony: Does it have a C compiler?
	Me: Yes.
	Anthony: Okay. Then we can write some.

I must admit that he didn't actually follow through on the last bit.  He
seems to spend most of his time playing freeciv on FreeBSD.
--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics

* Re: [9fans] Dual Boot: OpenBSD <=> Plan9
@ 2003-06-09 17:37 John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2003-06-09 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> > whatever you do, don't get that lunix grub on your disk -- ouch!
>>
>> Why?  just from my curiousity.
>
>i'm no pc guru, but you can get into a state where nothing boots.
>
>well, it boots but is as useful as a 'hot rock';  interesting, but useless.

Indeed.  It did this me a few weeks weeks ago.  My NetBSD partition never
recovered from whatever it did--not that I tried very hard.  Assuming you
don't want to boot an extended partition or a partition on a disk not
recognized by the BIOS the most trouble-free option is a BSD boot sector.
I use a FreeBSD boot manager.  It just sits there in the MBR and never requires
any sort of reconfiguration if you move partitions around, upgrade kernels,
install or deinstall operating systems, etc.
--
John Stalker
Department of Mathematics

* Re: [9fans] Dual Boot: OpenBSD <=> Plan9
@ 2003-06-09 21:19 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-06-09 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've never had any trouble with GRUB.  The only situation when Linux cannot usefully boot from GRUB is if you have corrupted the kernel or the GRUB files on your Linux partition. (If you have trashed other important files, all bootloaders are at a disadvantage.)

The traditional fix for a damaged kernel is a Linux boot floppy that provides the kernel.

Since I have several partitions running different distributions, I tend not to make these floppies any more, and just keep a GRUB boot floppy.  I would repair broken distribution A by booting distribution B, if necessary from the GRUB floppy, and then mounting A's disk.

I find GRUB invaluable - the feature I like best (in Linux) is that GRUB is aware of filesystems (at least ext2/ext3), so it is not necessary to know the physical location of the kernel on disk, only its filename.  You can unpack a filesystem from a tarball, and boot it from the GRUB command line (first changing only /etc/fstab if the tarball was packed from a different partition).

Keith.