* [9fans] mouse dragging
@ 2003-10-08  2:25 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-10-08  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was asked by a very newbie where is "trash can".
Well, we haven't one.   I tried to tell her why we don't need it.
However, in my deep mind, I doubted it to myself.
I really don't need it?

We have no use of mouse dragging.  If we can drag a file object
in a directory window to another window, and if it means copying
the object, or if we have choding of left+middle to a file in a directory
window means to delete the object, we have any problem?

Kenji

[parent not found: <18814d09032655e7112ad11263b117be@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac .jp>]
* Re: [9fans] mouse dragging
@ 2003-10-08  3:12 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2003-10-08  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Oct  8 11:25:35 JST 2003, okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp wrote:
> I was asked by a very newbie where is "trash can".
> Well, we haven't one.   I tried to tell her why we don't need it.
> However, in my deep mind, I doubted it to myself.
> I really don't need it?

if you are discussing about the safety net property of trash-can,
i should say you don't need it as long as you are backed up by
either worm file system or venti/fossil.  you can retrieve it from
/n/dump whenever you want it with specific date.

or if the user interface is in question, you might need the trash-can
for a certain kind of user.

but you can easily achieve some form of the interface in acme(1).
just type `rm' in tag line, select the file name to delete, execute
the `rm' on the tag line with middle-left mouse chording.

furthermore, you can copy rm(1) to whatever you like and use it instead.
eg.  `Gomibako' or `trash'.  even Japanese Kanji command name is fine
in Plan 9. :)

* Re: [9fans] mouse dragging
@ 2003-10-09  9:11 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2003-10-09  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Oct  8 22:40:35 JST 2003, Jim Choate wrote:
> > > rio may be graphical it isn't iconic
> > No, Plan 9 users can read.
> It is often true that a picture is worth a thousand words.

letters are the most useful icons ever invented, imho.
i agree that `x' mark on web browsers is more space saving
than `Stop', though.

P.S.
i'm always fsck'd up when i point an icon which i can't
identify its function and wait a stupid balloon to appear.