* [9fans] Let's get functional?
@ 2003-04-08  7:14 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-08  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

Here's a question that I need answering -- do people care for a port of a
functional language compiler to Plan9?

I browsed through the comp.os.plan9 archives and found a very old (ca. 1996)
post from Russ Cox regarding attempts to bring Lithp to P9. Not much else.

The language that I had in mind is Haskell. I can't figure out a way Haskell
could fit nicely with the Plan9 paradigms (everything is a file, private
namespaces, etc), but, say, a haskell->draw() module could be of some use...
somewhat...

I'm looking at this simply as a way of bringing some color to the C/rc
(perl?python?) world we live in :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Let's get functional?
@ 2003-04-08  7:38 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2003-04-08  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Here's a question that I need answering -- do people care for a port of a
> functional language compiler to Plan9?
>
> I browsed through the comp.os.plan9 archives and found a very old (ca. 1996)
> post from Russ Cox regarding attempts to bring Lithp to P9. Not much else.

There are already a couple of ML dialects available.  I've also got an
interpreter for Iverson's J language if you want something really esoteric.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] Let's get functional?
@ 2003-04-08 15:13 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-08 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The language that I had in mind is Haskell. I can't figure out a way Haskell
> could fit nicely with the Plan9 paradigms (everything is a file, private
> namespaces, etc), but, say, a haskell->draw() module could be of some use...
> somewhat...

moscow ml is in /n/sources/extra.  maybe that's what you meant by
lisp-like languages, but if so neither the ml nor the lisp people would
agree with you.

* Re: [9fans] Let's get functional?
@ 2003-04-08 15:38   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-04-08 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Russ Cox wrote:

> moscow ml is in /n/sources/extra.  maybe that's what you meant by
> lisp-like languages, but if so neither the ml nor the lisp people would
> agree with you.

Haskell is in the same ballpark with ML, but has a somewhat bigger
following. I admit I didn't think of ML when I asked the question, but
seeing how often it is used within Plan9 (outside bell-labs at least) pretty
much answers my question about needing to bring yet another functional
language here...

@ 2003-04-08 15:52     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-04-08 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Haskell is in the same ballpark with ML, but has a somewhat bigger
> following. I admit I didn't think of ML when I asked the question, but
> seeing how often it is used within Plan9 (outside bell-labs at least) pretty
> much answers my question about needing to bring yet another functional
> language here...

if you want to play with Haskell, by all means port it.
i didn't port ML to write better Plan 9 programs.
i ported ML so i could use Plan 9 to work on a project
that was written in ML.

but you're right not to entertain notions that somehow
if we had ML or Haskell we'd write half our scripts in it.
they just don't lend themselves easily to such things.  for some
kinds of big programs, they're great.

* Re: [9fans] Let's get functional?
@ 2003-04-08 16:27       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-04-08 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

FYI, the ML port is fine.  There's also a Scheme port (look for the
sxm interpreter, but I believe I had to mess with it to get it to
build correctly).  Porting HUGS should be easy; porting something
like GHC won't.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Let's get functional?
@ 2003-04-08 21:37   ` a
From: a @ 2003-04-08 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// I've also got an interpreter for Iverson's J language

ooo! i'm *very* interested. i've tried porting various APL
interpreters before but always gave up in frustration. i'd
still rather that (c'mon... an APL interpreter in a system
with good unicode support!), but J is in the right
direction. care to send it along, or a link, or some such?
ア

* Re: [9fans] Let's get functional?
@ 2003-04-08 21:59         ` George Bronnikov
From: George Bronnikov @ 2003-04-08 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Dan Cross wrote:

> FYI, the ML port is fine.  There's also a Scheme port (look for the
> sxm interpreter, but I believe I had to mess with it to get it to
> build correctly).  Porting HUGS should be easy; porting something
> like GHC won't.

There's also SCM (http://swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/SCM.html).  I ported it
about a year ago, and Aubrey Jaffer (the author) even included the port
in the distribution.  But then I got distracted from Plan 9 before I wrote
a mkfile for it.  SCM's own build system is rather complex, but there's a
build script generator at the homepage.

	Goga