* [9fans] Plan9ports lib9p question: serving to a plain 'ol tcp socket
@ 2005-05-24  3:56 Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-05-24  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am starting to look at this but wonder if someone has beat me to it.

I need to make a simple, single-threaded 9p server that will sit on a
normal Unix TCP socket in an accept/serve loop . It seems like the bits
are there to do this in lib9p, but I'm still untangling a few things; I
don't need the /tmp/ns.whatever Unix domain socket stuff, for example, but
all the other superstructure there is really nice. Anybody done this. I
can't use newsham's python server as I am sitting on a nice, bare node and
python is not really an option. I was simply hacking u9fs until a minute
or two ago, and I feel like I'm re-inventing something I'm sure someone
has already done -- must be somebody there who has beat me to this, I
figure.

Thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan9ports lib9p question: serving to a plain 'ol tcp socket
@ 2005-05-24 12:53 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-05-24 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/23/05, Ronald G. Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> I am starting to look at this but wonder if someone has beat me to it.
>
> I need to make a simple, single-threaded 9p server that will sit on a
> normal Unix TCP socket in an accept/serve loop . It seems like the bits
> are there to do this in lib9p, but I'm still untangling a few things; I
> don't need the /tmp/ns.whatever Unix domain socket stuff, for example, but
> all the other superstructure there is really nice. Anybody done this. I
> can't use newsham's python server as I am sitting on a nice, bare node and
> python is not really an option. I was simply hacking u9fs until a minute
> or two ago, and I feel like I'm re-inventing something I'm sure someone
> has already done -- must be somebody there who has beat me to this, I
> figure.

You should be able to use the plan9ports infrastructure just fine,
even if its more than you need.  I'm going to attach a really simple
devcons style driver I wrote using plan9ports as an example.  Almost
all of the code can be thought of as a template.  Search for Qtime and
Qcons to get the parts that really do anything.

One of these days I'll get around to writing a synthetic file systems
SDK to help make stuff like this more straightforward.

     -eric

[-- Attachment #2: devcons.tar --]
[-- Type: application/x-tar, Size: 20480 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan9ports lib9p question: serving to a plain 'ol tcp socket
@ 2005-05-24 14:43 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-05-24 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Attached is a replacement for /usr/local/plan9/src/lib9/post9p.c
(note that it says /lib9/ not /lib9p/!).  If you put that in, then you
should be able to just call threadpostmountsrv with a service
of 'tcp!*!12345' or whatever you want.

If you do this, then the service loop will be single-threaded
(as lib9p service loops always are) and the library will handle
feeding it messages from potentially many different active
connections.

Russ

from postmaster@ethel:
The following attachment had content that we can't
prove to be harmless.  To avoid possible automatic
execution, we changed the content headers.
The original header was:

[-- Attachment #2.2: post9p.c.suspect --]

#include <u.h>
#include <libc.h>

int
post9pservice(int fd, char *name)
{
	int i;
	char *ns, *s;
	Waitmsg *w;

	if(strchr(name, '!'))	/* assume is already network address */
		s = strdup(name);
	else{
		if((ns = getns()) == nil)
			return -1;
		s = smprint("unix!%s/%s", ns, name);
		free(ns);
	}
	if(s == nil)
		return -1;
	switch(fork()){
	case -1:
		return -1;
	case 0:
		dup(fd, 0);
		dup(fd, 1);
		for(i=3; i<20; i++)
			close(i);
		execlp("9pserve", "9pserve", "-u", s, (char*)0);
		fprint(2, "exec 9pserve: %r\n");
		_exits("exec");
	default:
		w = wait();
		if(w == nil)
			return -1;
		close(fd);
		free(s);
		if(w->msg && w->msg[0]){
			free(w);
			werrstr("9pserve failed");
			return -1;
		}
		free(w);
		return 0;
	}
}

* Re: [9fans] Plan9ports lib9p question: serving to a plain 'ol tcp socket
@ 2005-05-24 15:01   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-05-24 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Russ Cox wrote:

> Attached is a replacement for /usr/local/plan9/src/lib9/post9p.c
> (note that it says /lib9/ not /lib9p/!).

yeah, my fingers keep typing lib9p when I mean lib9.

>If you put that in, then you should be able to just call
>threadpostmountsrv with a service of 'tcp!*!12345' or whatever you want.

Perfect. I was going to try this today, now I can be lazy and just use
your code.

@ 2005-05-24 20:20   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-05-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

russ, that code works wonderfully, thanks!

ron