* [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-03 10:51 Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
From: Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE @ 2005-05-03 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello!

I want to build a fs server (I have already a auth/cpu server).

Seems that some stuff is missing from documentation:

auth/cpu server must start auth/secstored.
It is really needed? If I not activate it, the fs server stucks in booting
process (tcpdump confirms that it cannot connect to sestore).

I want to build a kernel for this. In what directory I can find the
config? emelie it's still valid? Or should I use pc?

I checked both dirs, but I can't find ne2k driver. Can I use it from
/sys/src/9/pc?

Also, When I boot the auth/cpu server, I must re-run ip/dhcp so it can be
used.

Thank you very much!

P.S. All this stuff is run under qemu cvs.

---
Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
catab at deuroconsult.ro
http://kernel.umbrella.ro/

* Re: [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-04 11:31 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2005-05-04 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Catalin wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2005, Russ Cox wrote:
>
>> If you are looking for a config fs prompt, then you
>> are thinking of the old WORM file server in /sys/src/fs.
>> The new file server fossil (built into the 9pccpuf kernel)
>> is quite a bit different.  See the wiki for more on setting
>> up such a system.
>>
>> Russ
>
> For weeks I search how to build one.  From what I read (including wiki) I
> was sure that I must see a configfs prompt.
>
> It's the same way as I build a cpu server (listen on 564 for fossil)?

Yes.

9pccpuf is a CPU server kernel with fossil.  You set up the system as
you do with a CPU server.  (You might want to disable some services in
/rc/bin/service and /rc/bin/service.auth if you already have a
CPU/Auth server).

> It's not really clear to me how it works.

You can mostly follow
http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Configuring_a_standalone_CPU_server/index.html

Just ignore
http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installing_a_Plan_9_File_Server/index.html
because this is about the old WORM file server /sys/src/fs.

When the system is running, you find a 'fileserver' console by
connecting to /srv/fscons.

# con /srv/fscons

See fossilcons(8) for what to do there and how to make fossil listen
to the network.

Hope this helps and isn't too verbose, finally. ;-)
Heiko