* Re: [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-04 11:31 Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2005-05-04 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Catalin wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2005, Russ Cox wrote:
>
>> If you are looking for a config fs prompt, then you
>> are thinking of the old WORM file server in /sys/src/fs.
>> The new file server fossil (built into the 9pccpuf kernel)
>> is quite a bit different.  See the wiki for more on setting
>> up such a system.
>>
>> Russ
>
> For weeks I search how to build one.  From what I read (including wiki) I
> was sure that I must see a configfs prompt.
>
> It's the same way as I build a cpu server (listen on 564 for fossil)?

Yes.

9pccpuf is a CPU server kernel with fossil.  You set up the system as
you do with a CPU server.  (You might want to disable some services in
/rc/bin/service and /rc/bin/service.auth if you already have a
CPU/Auth server).

> It's not really clear to me how it works.

You can mostly follow
http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Configuring_a_standalone_CPU_server/index.html

Just ignore
http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installing_a_Plan_9_File_Server/index.html
because this is about the old WORM file server /sys/src/fs.

When the system is running, you find a 'fileserver' console by
connecting to /srv/fscons.

# con /srv/fscons

See fossilcons(8) for what to do there and how to make fossil listen
to the network.

Hope this helps and isn't too verbose, finally. ;-)
Heiko

* Re: [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-04 11:50 ` Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
From: Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE @ 2005-05-04 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Heiko Dudzus wrote:

> Catalin wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 May 2005, Russ Cox wrote:
>>
>>> If you are looking for a config fs prompt, then you
>>> are thinking of the old WORM file server in /sys/src/fs.
>>> The new file server fossil (built into the 9pccpuf kernel)
>>> is quite a bit different.  See the wiki for more on setting
>>> up such a system.
>>>
>>> Russ
>>
>> For weeks I search how to build one.  From what I read (including wiki) I
>> was sure that I must see a configfs prompt.
>>
>> It's the same way as I build a cpu server (listen on 564 for fossil)?
>
> Yes.
>
> 9pccpuf is a CPU server kernel with fossil.  You set up the system as
> you do with a CPU server.  (You might want to disable some services in
> /rc/bin/service and /rc/bin/service.auth if you already have a
> CPU/Auth server).
>
>> It's not really clear to me how it works.
>
> You can mostly follow
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Configuring_a_standalone_CPU_server/index.html
>
> Just ignore
> http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installing_a_Plan_9_File_Server/index.html
> because this is about the old WORM file server /sys/src/fs.
>
> When the system is running, you find a 'fileserver' console by
> connecting to /srv/fscons.
>
> # con /srv/fscons
>
> See fossilcons(8) for what to do there and how to make fossil listen
> to the network.
>
> Hope this helps and isn't too verbose, finally. ;-)
> Heiko

Thank you very much!

---
Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
catab at deuroconsult.ro
http://kernel.umbrella.ro/

* Re: [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-04  9:01       ` Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
From: Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE @ 2005-05-04  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

catab at deuroconsult.ro
http://kernel.umbrella.ro/

* Re: [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-04  8:32     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-05-04  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you've already got a fossil, you might consider setting up
a venti to go with it, either by putting venti on the other machine
or moving fossil off the cpu server to the file server, which would
also run venti.  (it would probably also run the auth services too,
since that makes booting a little easier.  it can be done the other
way, but it's a little more fuss to do it.)

* Re: [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-04  7:09     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-05-04  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2005-05-04  6:39   ` Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
From: Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE @ 2005-05-04  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> I want to build a kernel for this. In what directory I can find the
>> config? emelie it's still valid? Or should I use pc?
>
> /sys/src/9/pc/pccpuf.
>
> Russ

I used pccpuf on fs, but no lock to get to config fs prompt.

It prompts me with a root from and I give tcp, because fd0/... crash with
something with kfs. Then it asks me about fs address, I give it the
auth/cpu server address (that serves on 564 a fossil) and then it gives me
a conflict because they share the same fs tree.

What I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much!

P.S. So, I have a auth/cpu server that serves on 564 a fossil fs. Now I
try to put up a fs server. But I cannot reach the point when I have to
do "config fs". :(

---
Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
catab at deuroconsult.ro
http://kernel.umbrella.ro/

* Re: [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-03 22:05   ` Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
From: Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE @ 2005-05-03 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Russ Cox wrote:

>> I want to build a fs server (I have already a auth/cpu server).
>
> You should use fossil. (9pcf and 9pccpuf)

I forgot to mention, but I use fossil not kfs.

>> auth/cpu server must start auth/secstored.
>> It is really needed? If I not activate it, the fs server stucks in booting
>> process (tcpdump confirms that it cannot connect to sestore).
>
> Not really needed.  You can write the p9sk1 key into
> nvram instead of the securestore key.  But it's nicer to
> use secstore.

How can I do this?
What/where it's the best way to start  secstored? In /rc/bin/cpurc?

>> I want to build a kernel for this. In what directory I can find the
>> config? emelie it's still valid? Or should I use pc?
>
> /sys/src/9/pc/pccpuf.

So, if I build this kernel and I put it on floppy and boot the fileserver
with it, I fill get config fs prompt?

> Russ

Thanks, Russ!

---
Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
catab at deuroconsult.ro
http://kernel.umbrella.ro/

* Re: [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-03 14:47 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-05-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I want to build a fs server (I have already a auth/cpu server).

You should use fossil. (9pcf and 9pccpuf)

> auth/cpu server must start auth/secstored.
> It is really needed? If I not activate it, the fs server stucks in booting
> process (tcpdump confirms that it cannot connect to sestore).

Not really needed.  You can write the p9sk1 key into
nvram instead of the securestore key.  But it's nicer to
use secstore.

> I want to build a kernel for this. In what directory I can find the
> config? emelie it's still valid? Or should I use pc?

/sys/src/9/pc/pccpuf.

Russ

* [9fans] fs server kernel
@ 2005-05-03 10:51 Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
From: Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE @ 2005-05-03 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello!

I want to build a fs server (I have already a auth/cpu server).

Seems that some stuff is missing from documentation:

auth/cpu server must start auth/secstored.
It is really needed? If I not activate it, the fs server stucks in booting
process (tcpdump confirms that it cannot connect to sestore).

I want to build a kernel for this. In what directory I can find the
config? emelie it's still valid? Or should I use pc?

I checked both dirs, but I can't find ne2k driver. Can I use it from
/sys/src/9/pc?

Also, When I boot the auth/cpu server, I must re-run ip/dhcp so it can be
used.

Thank you very much!

P.S. All this stuff is run under qemu cvs.

---
Catalin(ux aka Dino) BOIE
catab at deuroconsult.ro
http://kernel.umbrella.ro/