* [9fans] how to make coexit fossil+venti and fs
@ 2003-07-17  5:29 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-07-17  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm now going to make fossil+venti fileserver to our
Plan 9 network, because now I'm in the summer vacation
season lastly. ☺

I have make strategy at first how to make the two file sertvers
coexit in our Plan 9 network, and I'm wondering it now.

If the fossil+venti is believed to be robust as comparable as
release 4 file server, I have no hesitation on this decision.
When I downloaded the sources two days ago, considerable
amounts of venti and fossil sources were changed.   Furthermore,
I suppose Bell-Labs is still using Release 4 file server as their
primary file server.

Then, I think I should hold our present file server further.
In this case, I have to install new fossil+venti into a temporal
machine which also has local kfs filesystem.  The new fossil+
venti will be used only from that very machine in this case,
which is mostly for testing environment of new fossil+venti
system.   However, I'm not a kernel/operating system person...

What is your configuration of this situation out there?
Any other recommendations to me?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] how to make coexit fossil+venti and fs
@ 2003-07-17  5:57 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-17  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the easiest way for me was to install venti/fossil on a separate machine and
move all data to it. after my confidence in the new venti/fossil system had
increased to a comfortable level I just made it the main file server.

no users and no really important data in my case, and I still keep a kfs
disk handy -- I break things quite often.

andrey

@ 2003-07-17  7:43   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-07-17  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> If the fossil+venti is believed to be robust as comparable as
>> release 4 file server, I have no hesitation on this decision.

Well, in may case, it has proven to be as robust.
We have being using it during a whole semester in production.

We have replaced our 3rd ed. worm (which is now spare) with a venti/fossil/fs
server.