* Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
@ 2006-08-07 21:19 Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-08-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here's a dumb question. I have been copying info from my file server
console. Geoff has mentioned the file server log a couple of times. I
assumed it would be in /sys/log, but I can't find it. In order to get
all of the info from check, I either need a log to cut and paste from
or a paging command to move back on the console.

Greg

* Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
@ 2006-08-07 21:29 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-08-07 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You have to set up console logging yourself on a cpu server, like this:

	aux/clog /mnt/consoles/fileserver /sys/log/fileserver &

where "fileserver" is the name of your file server.  This assumes
you've already got consolefs(4) configured, running and mounted, and
that you've got the file server's serial console configured and wired
up to a serial port on the cpu server doing the logging.  Add this to
your file server's plan9.ini:

console=0 baud=9600

It's a bit of work to set up, but very handy.  Not only do you get a
console log, but you can access the console from any of your Plan 9
machines with:

	C fileserver

* Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
@ 2006-08-07 22:50   ` Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-08-07 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Console setup definitely seems worthwhile, but it will take me a
little time to get to it.

On the off chance I got some useful output from check, here it is. I
don't think too much scrolled by.

check: "/386/bin/upas/filter": xtag: checktag
	tag=Tnone/0; expected Tind1/50352 -- flushed (225420)
check: "/386/bin/upas/list": xtag: checktag
	tag=Tnone/0; expected Tind1/50391 -- flushed (225953)
check: "/386/bin/upas/_marshal": xtag: checktag
	tag=Tnone/0; expected Tind1/50406 -- flushed (226221)
check free list
lo=656348	hi=703242
nfiles=43599
fsize=712733
nused=201282
ndup=0
nfree=38803
tfree=38803
nfdup=0
nmiss=472646
nbad=0
nqbad=0
maxq=167269
base stack=620
high stack=1920 of 16000
deepest recursion=13

That's from the following config. When I did copyworm, I just had h0
as main and w2 as output; otherwise I get the no blocks to copy
message.

config w0
service pinky
filsys main c[w0w1]f{h0h2}
filsys dump o
ipauth 192.168.0.109
ip 192.168.0.108
ipgw 192.168.0.1
ipmask 255.255.255.0

Just for the record, I tried copyworm from h0 to (w2w3) giving me
approximately 100G target. There were no error messages at the end of
copyworm, but when I tried to boot c[w0w1]f(w2w3) I got

tag=Tnone/0; expected Tvirgo/12211541 - flushed (12211541)
panic:fworm:checktag 12211541
cpu 0 exiting

which is like what I started with only apparently reflecting the
larger size

Greg

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2895 bytes --]

From: geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:29:16 -0400

@ 2006-08-07 23:38     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-08-07 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think I understand your problem now.  If you were copying a fake
worm to a device of identical size, you could use copydev from h0, but
when copying a fake worm, you need to use copyworm from fh0 or
possibly even your normal main (c[w0w1]f{h0h2}).

check reports an fsize of 712733, so that's the highest block number
so far consumed by your fake worm, and is what copyworm should print
as your limit (plus or minus a few blocks) when you copy from fh0 or
your normal main.  When you copied from h0, copyworm just used the
size of h0 as its upper limit.

Perhaps copyworm should complain if the source file system does not
contain a worm.

* Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
@ 2006-08-10 12:44   ` Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-08-10 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Just to follow up. When I try to copyworm with c[w0w1]f{h0h2}, or
f{h0h2}, or fh0 I get the following right after `beginning copyworm in
8 seconds'

fworm: read 0
i/o error reading fh0 block 0
panic: no blocks to copy on fh0
cpu 0 exiting

I should say that things like history, yesterday, 9fs dump have
been working as advertised, so I do have a functioning worm.

I also tried to make main h0 and be explicit about the fake worm-ness
of output, which I hadn't been before (filsys output f{w2w3}). This
was definitely different. For one, it took even longer than my other
tries. But, instead of the `copyworm finished ... looping ... reset
any time' message, it had rebooted itself.

I'm going to stop this effort for a little while. At least until I get
console logging set up, so that I can be sure to be accurate when
I report what happened.

Thanks again.

Greg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

From: geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:29:16 -0400

@ 2006-08-07  1:06         ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-08-07  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

copyworm shouldn't copy unwritten blocks.  I'm still not sure that I
know what the problem here is.  Could you run these commands on your
file server console and send us the output?

	cfs main
	check
	printconf

The file server will be unresponsive until check finishes, so don't be
alarmed.

* Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
@ 2006-08-06 15:06       ` Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-08-06 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I hate to be the slowest guy in the room, but it's not clear where
this leaves me. If I understand the paragraph below, the upshot is
that there may be some unwritten blocks that copyworm thinks it has
to copy, but it's not the case that it is just trying to copy all
80G worth, written or not, onto my 50G disk. So, I either really do
have over 50G of blocks that it's trying to copy, or there is some
other problem. I see that the limit() value Geoff asked for is
basically devsize() for my source disk. Does that mean it's just too
much stuff?

Thanks for all the help.

Greg

@ 2006-08-06  4:27         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-08-06  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you're explination made perfect sense to me.  where is the bitmap consulted?

- erik

@ 2006-08-05 23:34           ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-08-05 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Good; when I reread my first message, it looked imprecise enough to
confuse.

/sys/src/fs/dev/fworm.c contains the fake worm implementation and
fwormread() and fwormwrite() consult and maintain the bitmap of
written blocks.

* Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
@ 2006-08-05 23:21       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-08-05 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-08-05 23:13     ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-08-05 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I believe Charles wrote the original version of what is now
dowormcopy() and I probably modified it; Nigel may have also.  It
copes with real and fake worms.  On a fake worm, the block-allocation
bitmap is at the end of the file system, but all blocks can be read.

On a real worm, only already-written blocks can be read and there is
no allocation bitmap (or at least none visible outside the jukebox
hardware).  Because the file server kernel gradually extends the upper
limit of blocks it will allocate on the worm, there will tend to be
both written and unwritten blocks just before the current nominal end
of the file system (but the end is increased when cwgrow() is called).
After the current end there should only be unwritten blocks, and
almost all of the blocks before it should be written.

All sizes are in blocks of RBUFSIZE bytes.  writtensize() gets the
device's size from devsize(), which calls fwormsize() for fake worms
or cwsize() for real ones.  cwsize() just gets the current end of the
file system from the cache device, where it's conveniently stored.
fwormsize() subtracts the size of the allocation bitmap from the size
of the underlying device.  writtensize() works backward from the end
of the device, using the size returned by devsize() as its nominal
size, reading blocks until it succeeds.  This should be pretty quick;
for fake worms, fwormread() just consults the allocation bitmap to see
if a block is allocated and thus readable, so writtensize() will see a
long series of failed getbuf() attempts before reading the last
allocated block before the allocation bitmap.  Real worms are similar,
but starting at the cache's notion of where the file system currently
ends will be much closer to the last-written block than starting at
the end of the non-bitmap fake worm device, so the backward scan will
be short.

* Re: [9fans] Fs64 file server, partition boundaries out of range
@ 2006-08-05 20:24   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-08-05 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'd really be suprised if you had actually used up 50G.  i think that
the problem is that copyworm trys to copy the whole worm --- even
empty blocks.

the relevant check in getbuf combined with written size seems to do
this:

	static Devsize
	writtensize()
	{
		Devsize lim;

		for(lim = devsize(worm); lim > 0; lim--)
			if(blocknum(lim) is "active" OR blocknum(lim) can be read)
				return lim+1;
		return 0;
	}

am i missing something?  it's not obvious to me how to determine the last
block that's actually got data in it.

- erik

@ 2006-08-05 20:19 ` Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-08-05 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-08-05 18:14   ` Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-08-05 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That would be funny if that's all it was. And surprising to me. How
fast does a worm grow under "ordinary" usage?

Greg

@ 2006-08-05 18:11   ` Gregory Pavelcak
From: Gregory Pavelcak @ 2006-08-05 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

limit(h0) = 9768447

I copied all of the devinit  stuff if you need anything else, but I
won't bother typing it unless you want it.

Thanks.

Greg

@ 2006-08-05 14:38 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-08-05 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)