* [9fans] GSOC proposal
@ 2009-03-28  2:19 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2009-03-28  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just a suggestion,

A good forth system using acme, probably based on fgb's 4th. The goal
is to conquer the Seaforth chip.

I know the dev kit is US$500 but their compiler and simulator, written
in forth, doesn't need hardware.

And at least two 9fans have a kit.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] GSOC proposal
@ 2010-03-25 11:03 ` yy
From: yy @ 2010-03-25 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: plan9-gsoc

2009/3/28 Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>:
> Just a suggestion,
>
> A good forth system using acme, probably based on fgb's 4th. The goal
> is to conquer the Seaforth chip.
>
> I know the dev kit is US$500 but their compiler and simulator, written
> in forth, doesn't need hardware.
>
> And at least two 9fans have a kit.
>
> brucee

Would such a project be interesting for this year gsoc? Is any mentor
interested in Forth?

I really think acme would make a great environment for Forth
development. I have not used 4th except to play a bit with it, but I
have spent the last months porting the Ngaro VM to Go [1], which is
used to run retroForth [2] images, and I think that could be a good
starting point too.

[1] http://hg.4l77.com/gonga/
[2] http://retroforth.org

PS: I'm CCing this to the GSoC list, but since the original message
appeared here I'm replying to 9fans too.

--
- yiyus || JGL . 4l77.com

* Re: [9fans] GSOC proposal
@ 2010-04-18  0:51 Jeff Sickel