* [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-14 18:34 erik quanstrom
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-14 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this is just stupifying:

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1029797&cid=25761431

Due to a strange quirk in the way compilers are designed, it's (MUCH) faster to build a dozen files that include every file in your project than to build thousands of files.

Once build times are down to 5 - 15 minutes you don't need distributed compiling. The link step is typically the most expensive anyway, so distributed compiling doesn't get you much.

sorry for the noise.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-14 18:42 ` ron minnich
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: ron minnich @ 2008-11-14 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

new word, inspired by this:

stupedifying

in the sense of stupid, stupefying, and edifying in all one blow.

I googled it and now feel much less creative.

ron

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-14 20:44 ` David Leimbach
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-11-14 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

reading slashdot is almost never worth the bandwidth or the time of your
life spent looking at it.

@ 2008-11-14 22:09   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-14 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> reading slashdot is almost never worth the bandwidth or the time of your
> life spent looking at it.

if you are looking for technical information, you're
correct.  it's not useful.

if however, you're interested in what people think,
slashdot is a good barometer.

@ 2008-11-15  4:03     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-11-15  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:09 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:

> > reading slashdot is almost never worth the bandwidth or the time of your
> > life spent looking at it.
>
> if you are looking for technical information, you're
> correct.  it's not useful.
>
> if however, you're interested in what people think,
> slashdot is a good barometer.
>
> - erik
>
> My mileage on that has varied as well :-).  Most people I know couldn't
give a rats ass about what slashdotters think, and no one I work for or with
even looks at that site.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-15  6:29 ` John Barham
From: John Barham @ 2008-11-15  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:34 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> this is just stupifying:
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1029797&cid=25761431

I see that this comment has been voted +4 "informative".

Truly a shining example of the web 2.0 wisdom of crowds at work!

  John

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-15  7:09 ` Rogelio Serrano
From: Rogelio Serrano @ 2008-11-15  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:34 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> this is just stupifying:
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1029797&cid=25761431
>
> Due to a strange quirk in the way compilers are designed, it's (MUCH) faster to build a dozen files that include every file in your project than to build thousands of files.
>
> Once build times are down to 5 - 15 minutes you don't need distributed compiling. The link step is typically the most expensive anyway, so distributed compiling doesn't get you much.
>
> sorry for the noise.
>
> - erik

I just dont get it. How does distributed linking not help?

--
Lay low and nourish in obscurity

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-15 12:19   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-11-15 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You don't need the crowds for this kind of  'wisdom', google has been
one of the main pushers for distributed compilation lately... with ken
on board, that is a rather sad thing to waste resources on.

uriel

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:29 AM, John Barham <jbarham@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:34 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> this is just stupifying:
>>
>> http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1029797&cid=25761431
>
> I see that this comment has been voted +4 "informative".
>
> Truly a shining example of the web 2.0 wisdom of crowds at work!
>
>  John

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-17  6:06 ` Enrico Weigelt
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-11-17  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

Hi,

> this is just stupifying:
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1029797&cid=25761431

gcc is a mess, right. But is there an usable alternative ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-17  6:56   ` Rogelio Serrano
From: Rogelio Serrano @ 2008-11-17  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> * erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> this is just stupifying:
>>
>> http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1029797&cid=25761431
>
> gcc is a mess, right. But is there an usable alternative ?
>

> cu

there is llvm

im more inclined towards hacking on ACK though

@ 2008-11-17  8:38   ` thagonzo
From: thagonzo @ 2008-11-17  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

pcc, http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/

> cu

Ideal f�r Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-18  0:44   ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-11-18  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> * erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> this is just stupifying:
>>
>> http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1029797&cid=25761431
>
> gcc is a mess, right. But is there an usable alternative ?

 8c! http://gsoc.cat-v.org/hg/kenc
 (Anant, did you have another port as part of Glendix, or am I getting
mixed up?)
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-18  4:23     ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2008-11-18  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 8c! http://gsoc.cat-v.org/hg/kenc
> (Anant, did you have another port as part of Glendix, or am I getting
> mixed up?)

Yes, 8c & 8l now work on Glendix.

Regards,
Anant

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-18 14:29       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-11-18 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Anant Narayanan <anant@kix.in> wrote:

> 8c! http://gsoc.cat-v.org/hg/kenc
>> (Anant, did you have another port as part of Glendix, or am I getting
>> mixed up?)
>>

> Yes, 8c & 8l now work on Glendix.
>
> Regards,
> Anant

Did you port these to ELF or did you make a loader for Plan 9 binaries?

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-18 14:41         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2008-11-18 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 6:29 AM, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Anant Narayanan <anant@kix.in> wrote:
>
>>  8c! http://gsoc.cat-v.org/hg/kenc
>>> (Anant, did you have another port as part of Glendix, or am I getting
>>> mixed up?)
>>>

>> Yes, 8c & 8l now work on Glendix.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anant
>>
> Did you port these to ELF or did you make a loader for Plan 9 binaries?
>

> Just answered this question for myself by reading the paper at Glendix.
 Nice!

* Re: [9fans] those funny gnu guys
@ 2008-11-15  4:03 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-15  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k, 9fans

> > My mileage on that has varied as well :-).  Most people I know couldn't
> give a rats ass about what slashdotters think, and no one I work for or with
> even looks at that site.

it must be nice to run in such elite circles.  perhaps
one day when i am not employed buidling stuff people
are willing to pay for, i shall be afforded such luxury.

even if only to beg to differ.

- erik