* [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2009-02-20  8:38 hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2009-02-20  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi there,
I am using plan9port on linux, and I want to be able to read mail from
some account I have in some server running IMAP.
Since this is the first time I try to configure a mail client (gmail
is just so easy) I have no clue on what exactly I should do or if it
is even possible to read mail using plan9's utilities on linux.
The wiki has something about reading email on plan 9, but I do not
know if this should work also for plan9port (to begin with I cannot
find upas/fs).
Probably this a stupid question, so I hope someone could give me some
pointers to start with.

--
Saludos

Hugo

* Re: [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2009-02-20 11:06 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-02-20 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I am using plan9port on linux, and I want to be able to read mail from
> some account I have in some server running IMAP.
> Since this is the first time I try to configure a mail client (gmail
> is just so easy) I have no clue on what exactly I should do or if it
> is even possible to read mail using plan9's utilities on linux.
> The wiki has something about reading email on plan 9, but I do not
> know if this should work also for plan9port (to begin with I cannot
> find upas/fs).
> Probably this a stupid question, so I hope someone could give me some
> pointers to start with.

I didn't bring over upas/fs.
There is a separate program, not installed
by default, in src/cmd/upas/nfs (n=new)
that speaks only imap.  When installed, its
name is mailfs.  It works with the nedmail
and acme Mail that are in the plan9port
distribution; the file tree is slightly different
than the standard upas/fs (more faithful to imap).
It downloads pieces of the message as it
needs them, so if you have big attachments,
they don't get downloaded until you ask for them.
Messages saved with the Save command
go into imap folders, not local files.
I used this setup for a few years against a dovecot
imap server.  It does not work against the
gmail imap server, because gmail imap
will not serve the full mime tree of the message;
it only gives you the raw message bytes.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2009-02-20 16:04 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-20 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi there,
> I am using plan9port on linux, and I want to be able to read mail from
> some account I have in some server running IMAP.
> Since this is the first time I try to configure a mail client (gmail
> is just so easy) I have no clue on what exactly I should do or if it
> is even possible to read mail using plan9's utilities on linux.
> The wiki has something about reading email on plan 9, but I do not
> know if this should work also for plan9port (to begin with I cannot
> find upas/fs).
> Probably this a stupid question, so I hope someone could give me some
> pointers to start with.

there is a very old, very awful, totally unsupported
port of upas to p9p in /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/p9p/upas.tbz.
upas/fs did work.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2009-03-02  7:52   ` 6o205zd02
From: 6o205zd02 @ 2009-03-02  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 03:06 -0800, Russ Cox rsc-at-swtch.com |9fans|
wrote:
> I didn't bring over upas/fs.
> There is a separate program, not installed
> by default, in src/cmd/upas/nfs (n=new)
> that speaks only imap.  When installed, its
> name is mailfs.  It works with the nedmail
> and acme Mail that are in the plan9port
> distribution; the file tree is slightly different
> than the standard upas/fs (more faithful to imap).
> It downloads pieces of the message as it
> needs them, so if you have big attachments,
> they don't get downloaded until you ask for them.
> Messages saved with the Save command
> go into imap folders, not local files.
> I used this setup for a few years against a dovecot
> imap server.  It does not work against the
> gmail imap server, because gmail imap
> will not serve the full mime tree of the message;
> it only gives you the raw message bytes.
>
> Russ

I must be getting dumber, but while I think I successfully built and
installed src/cmd/upas/nfs as mailfs (P9P on debian/testing linux), I
have failed to figure out how to get it to talk to my dovecot server.
Can someone post an example of the command-line they use to run it
(perhaps with a short explanation of the arguments)?

	thanks,
	Peter Canning

* Re: [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2009-03-02  9:38     ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2009-03-02  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/3/2  <6o205zd02@sneakemail.com>:
> I must be getting dumber, but while I think I successfully built and
> installed src/cmd/upas/nfs as mailfs (P9P on debian/testing linux), I
> have failed to figure out how to get it to talk to my dovecot server.
> Can someone post an example of the command-line they use to run it
> (perhaps with a short explanation of the arguments)?

9 mailfs -t mail1.dugeo.com

 mail1.dugeo.com being the imap server, can't remember what the -t
represents. Maybe TLS - I did have to patch imap.c so it could find
stunnel (not being root I installed it in my home dir). Also note that
it wants stunnel-3. stunnel-4, in a remarkable demonstration of
software progress, only accepts one command-line argument: the name of
a config file. There's a third party perl script floating around that
wraps stunnel-4 and accepts stunnel-3 arguments.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2009-03-02  9:40     ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2009-03-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

factotum -g 'key=mykey proto=pass service=imap server=yourserverurl user=yourimapusername !password?'

then

mailfs yourserverurl

or, if you want tls:

mailfs -t yourserverurl

Once it has returned, you can use as a ui the Mail command in acme
for example.

Cheers,
Mathieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5221 bytes --]

From: 6o205zd02@sneakemail.com
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Mail configuration
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 23:52:12 -0800

@ 2009-02-20 15:59 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> distribution; the file tree is slightly different
> than the standard upas/fs (more faithful to imap).
> It downloads pieces of the message as it
> needs them, so if you have big attachments,
> they don't get downloaded until you ask for them.
[..]
> I used this setup for a few years against a dovecot
> imap server.  It does not work against the
> gmail imap server, because gmail imap
> will not serve the full mime tree of the message;
> it only gives you the raw message bytes.

(n)upas/fs imap4 client uses the body[]<n.m> syntax
to download blocks from the message.  this technique
also works on gmail.  however, gmail lies about message
sizes so there's a bit of extra work.

> Messages saved with the Save command
> go into imap folders, not local files.

cool.  (n)upas lacks this ability, but has the framework
for adding it.  it would take a little work to figure out
how to handle defaulting to the imap server or
to another folder.  the folder selection code is
already horrible.

- erik

From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-02-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc, 9fans

@ 2007-04-02 20:37   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-04-02 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 4/2/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> you want to copy it to /mail/lib/rewrite.
>
> i think permissions should be okay.  glenda does own
> this directory, at least on sources.

But not in a Plan 9 installation.
The permissions are set by
/n/sources/plan9/dist/replica/plan9.proto

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2007-04-02 20:30 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-04-02 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Welcome to plan9!

> Where should i copy it. Glenda don't have permissions in this directory.

You need to add glenda to the group sys and upas, though
ideally you really want to create a new username for yourself
and add sys ane upas to this.

Once you have done this you can edit the files in /mail/lib like
/mail/lib/rewrite.gateway. You will probably also want to edit
/mail/lib/remotemail.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2007-04-02 20:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-04-02 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you want to copy it to /mail/lib/rewrite.

i think permissions should be okay.  glenda does own
this directory, at least on sources.

	; ls -ld /n/sources/plan9/mail/lib
	d-rwxrwxr-x M 100 glenda sys 0 Apr  6  2006 /n/sources/plan9/mail/lib

- erik

* [9fans] Mail configuration
@ 2007-04-02 20:24 Stefan Burtscher
From: Stefan Burtscher @ 2007-04-02 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi there,

i'm new to this os and tried to configure Mail. I can read mail, bu t i'm too stupid to send.

"You'll want to start by copying either rewrite.gateway or rewrite.gateway+default from the same directory and editing it to suit" -- from the wiki

Where should i copy it. Glenda don't have permissions in this directory.

Thank you