* [9fans] Installing on IBM 760CD locks keyboard after a while
@ 2003-10-17  8:35 Oleg Cherkasov
From: Oleg Cherkasov @ 2003-10-17  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I am trying to install Plan9 4th edition on very old laptop IBM 760.
After I start from the floppy and my VGA card is not recognized (it
was expected) the keyboard is available for a couple of minutes only.
It does not matter what I am doing it will stop accept input from the
keyboard, even if I do not type anything :-(  However plan9 is alive
but keyboard is dead.

Initially I thought it is a hardware problem but I do not remember any
setup I did recently.   It was running WinNT without a single problem
(but deadly slow) and very recently FreeBDS 4.2, it was no problem at
all.

I put 'debug=1' into my plan9.ini but it did not help much to reveal
the problem.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Oleg

* Re: [9fans] Installing on IBM 760CD locks keyboard after a while
@ 2003-10-17 12:38 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-17 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does ctl alt del do anything when its locked up?

* Re: [9fans] Installing on IBM 760CD locks keyboard after a while
@ 2003-10-21 13:37   ` Oleg Cherkasov
From: Oleg Cherkasov @ 2003-10-21 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@closedmind.org (David Presotto) wrote in message news:<adc8f7663531583ea3a882549c5e28c4@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> Does ctl alt del do anything when its locked up?

Yes it does, I may reboot the computer and got 'cpu0: halt' message
indeed.

I managed go up to files copy section in TEXT ONLY INSTALL and it
finished OK but keyboard was locked by that time already :-(

* Re: [9fans] Installing on IBM 760CD locks keyboard after a while
@ 2003-10-21 14:11     ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2003-10-21 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Oct 21 09:48:47 EDT 2003, oleg@tiscali.no wrote:
> presotto@closedmind.org (David Presotto) wrote in message news:<adc8f7663531583ea3a882549c5e28c4@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> > Does ctl alt del do anything when its locked up?
>
> Yes it does, I may reboot the computer and got 'cpu0: halt' message
> indeed.
>
> I managed go up to files copy section in TEXT ONLY INSTALL and it
> finished OK but keyboard was locked by that time already :-(

What is your BIOS revision number and how much memory do you have?

* Re: [9fans] Installing on IBM 760CD locks keyboard after a while
@ 2003-10-21 14:36     ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-21 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If ctl-alt-del works, the keyboard isn't locked up; some part of the system
is.  Try typing ^t^tp and see if it tells you what processes are running.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2451 bytes --]

From: Oleg Cherkasov <oleg@tiscali.no>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Installing on IBM 760CD locks keyboard after a while
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:37:59 GMT

@ 2003-10-27 10:07       ` Oleg Cherkasov
From: Oleg Cherkasov @ 2003-10-27 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote in message news:<1d8958a70db52b9bd5ee9e8e77a9474c@plan9.bell-labs.com>...

> What is your BIOS revision number and how much memory do you have?

Well, I am afraid it is not possible bacause it is IBM ThinkPad ...

During the boot process it shows IBM/ThinkPad logo and a memory
amount, it is 56M by the way. If floppy drive is not connected then it
prints some numbers but I do not know how to interpret them, I guess
it is an error message.

BIOS could be activated by pressing 1 during boot process (it took me
a while to get it).  It has options to test for all devices present
but nothing else.  I run all tests available and it went fine.  It is
funny, I would say the BIOS is completely useless to anybody
nonetheless it has mouse cursors animated!

It looks like during the boot I got 32M memory reported:

  8203 pages  33012K bytes

Could it be a problem?

Think I shall give up with that PC.  It takes so much time of yours
guys and mine, It does not worth it really.

Thank you for your help anyway!

* Re: [9fans] Installing on IBM 760CD locks keyboard after a while
@ 2003-10-27 10:08       ` Oleg Cherkasov
From: Oleg Cherkasov @ 2003-10-27 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@closedmind.org (David Presotto) wrote in message news:<765701e8cf4f1f673fd9b80b15a17b81@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> If ctl-alt-del works, the keyboard isn't locked up; some part of the system
> is.  Try typing ^t^tp and see if it tells you what processes are running.
> --

I tried, it does not work.  It does work before my keyboard/PC will be
locked but it does not work right after it locked.

As I have written into the thread, I shall give up with that PC and
look up for a new one, I mean the OLD one of course :-)  The PC does
not worth it to spend so much time get it work.

Thank you!