* [9fans] acme to open a 'strange' directory
@ 2010-03-07 13:40 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-07 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

it happened I have some subdirectories named similarly to

rotxy3_[1-5Co6-10Ni]

i.e. having [ ] brackets as a part of the name.

rc works so, that when it encounters such a directory, it is able to
switch to it, since the rule is that if the pattern doesn't match
anything, it is taken literally as itself. But when I have such a
directory in acme and I 3-click it, it is not opened --- I have to
manually copy the name into the tag and press Get. Is there anything
simple that can be done, so that acme opens such directories?

Related question is: I really need names with something like brackets.
But all types have already some meaning, (), [], {}, <>. What do you
use in such a case?

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] acme to open a 'strange' directory
@ 2010-03-07 16:43 ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2010-03-07 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Acme's New command does not parse the file name.  Try New
rotxy3_[1-5Co6-10Ni] with button 2.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] acme to open a 'strange' directory
@ 2010-03-07 17:24   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2010-03-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7 March 2010 17:43, Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:
> Acme's New command does not parse the file name.  Try New
> rotxy3_[1-5Co6-10Ni] with button 2.
>
> -rob

Ok. This works. Nonetheless, it's a question what is better. With your
way you have to write 'New' somewhere (either in front of the
directory, or in the tag line and use the 2-1 chord on it). This may
be even more work then copying the directory to the end of the tag
address and click the Get, which is (for directories) always there...

The other way round. Is there any reason why acme doesn't try the
literal meaning of the name (what other should it, anyway?) as rc
does?

@ 2010-03-07 18:59 ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2010-03-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Related question is: I really need names with something like brackets.
> But all types have already some meaning, (), [], {}, <>. What do you
> use in such a case?

Use unicode. There are lots of alternative bracketing symbols available.

* Re: [9fans] acme to open a 'strange' directory
@ 2010-03-07 19:12     ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2010-03-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 March 2010 17:43, Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Acme's New command does not parse the file name.  Try New
>> rotxy3_[1-5Co6-10Ni] with button 2.
>>
>> -rob
>
> Ok. This works. Nonetheless, it's a question what is better. With your
> way you have to write 'New' somewhere (either in front of the
> directory, or in the tag line and use the 2-1 chord on it). This may
> be even more work then copying the directory to the end of the tag
> address and click the Get, which is (for directories) always there...
>
> The other way round. Is there any reason why acme doesn't try the
> literal meaning of the name (what other should it, anyway?) as rc
> does?
>
> Thanks
> Ruda

It's not acme that's at issue, it's the layers of shell and plumber in
front of it.

-rob