* [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-17 17:58 Anthony Sorace
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2008-12-17 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The motherboard in my main server went belly-up yesterday. No POST, no
nothing. Well, the fans spin. Joy.

That particular motherboard isn't carried anywhere any more, despite
being a whopping one year old. I'm looking for a replacement, but
having a hard time finding one with both a supported SATA controller
and supported gigabit ethernet with an AMD CPU and DDR2 RAM (so I
don't have to replace that, too).

Anyone have any recommendations? Bonus points for one that I can get
shipped overnight.

* Re: [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-17 18:09 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2008-12-17 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

perhaps more particularly, anyone know of or working on support for
the RealTek RTL8111/8168B ethernet controller? I've found two boards
with match except for having an 8111 controller, which we don't list
as supported. i have no idea how close realtek's parts are to each
other.

* Re: [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-17 18:46   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-17 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Dec 17 13:10:41 EST 2008, anothy@gmail.com wrote:
> perhaps more particularly, anyone know of or working on support for
> the RealTek RTL8111/8168B ethernet controller? I've found two boards
> with match except for having an 8111 controller, which we don't list
> as supported. i have no idea how close realtek's parts are to each
> other.

i haven't had a problem with any of these working.
you can get a $34 intel pro/pt 1000 if you want something a little
nicer.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-17 18:49 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-17 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Dec 17 13:00:49 EST 2008, anothy@gmail.com wrote:
> The motherboard in my main server went belly-up yesterday. No POST, no
> nothing. Well, the fans spin. Joy.
>
> That particular motherboard isn't carried anywhere any more, despite
> being a whopping one year old. I'm looking for a replacement, but
> having a hard time finding one with both a supported SATA controller
> and supported gigabit ethernet with an AMD CPU and DDR2 RAM (so I
> don't have to replace that, too).

get a sb600 or greater-based machine.  they all have ahci which is
supported by the intel ahci driver.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-17 19:21   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2008-12-17 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

does "sb600 or greater" really mean just by number? sb700 and sb750
seem common, but i'd assumed (probably foolishly) that 6xx was
different (enough) from 7xx.

* Re: [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-17 19:31     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-17 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Dec 17 14:23:23 EST 2008, anothy@gmail.com wrote:
> does "sb600 or greater" really mean just by number? sb700 and sb750
> seem common, but i'd assumed (probably foolishly) that 6xx was
> different (enough) from 7xx.

yes.  i don't know of many significant changes between
sb600 and sb750.  amd really did release them in order.
shocking, i know.

you may have to grab the ahci driver from my contrib
area (/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/src/9/pc/^(sdiahci.c ahci.h))
to recognize the sb7xx parts.  i run a sb600 at home.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-18 21:56       ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2008-12-18 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i've look through the changes and am not clear on how the sb700 will
be handled. it sounded like you were saying all the sb[67]xx chips are
handled the same, but the did is different (439D). it it just a matter
of adding it to the big switch(p->vid) statement?

* Re: [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-18 22:41         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-12-18 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Dec 18 16:58:02 EST 2008, anothy@gmail.com wrote:
> i've look through the changes and am not clear on how the sb700 will
> be handled. it sounded like you were saying all the sb[67]xx chips are
> handled the same, but the did is different (439D). it it just a matter
> of adding it to the big switch(p->vid) statement?

you don't need to.  if the vid is amd's, several chipsets
are recognized as Tsb600 (sic) and the rest are recognized
as Tunk via the fallthrough match on the device type/subtype/pi.
there is no special handling of Tsb600, so Tunk is equivalent,
but the boot message will be a bit odd.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Motherboard recommendations?
@ 2008-12-19  0:14 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2008-12-19  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

K9AGM4-L.
But it has only 100Mbit ethernet onboard.

--
cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2737 bytes --]