* [9fans] /sys/src/9/ip/ip.h
@ 2009-10-04 16:46 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-10-04 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

perhaps the elimination of all traces of IL is a little too thorough?
it seems easier to leave Logil, Logilmsg in place rather than require
an extra (periodic) merge.  one can't get by simply with bind
before/after.

* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/9/ip/ip.h
@ 2009-10-04 17:17 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-10-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> perhaps the elimination of all traces of IL is a little too thorough?

I see no real harm in IL but, just a suggestion, you could do a pull -s,
and then use diff3 (in my contrib) to do a merge between ip.h.orig,
yesterday(1)'s version and the newly pulled code.

having said this I still have it on my To-do list to add a -m (merge)
option to replica to do just this; one day.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] /sys/src/9/ip/ip.h
       [not found] <<4fe555158822df97a22b2076cc02e52a@9netics.com>
@ 2009-10-04 17:28 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-04 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Oct  4 12:47:55 EDT 2009, 9nut@9netics.com wrote:
> perhaps the elimination of all traces of IL is a little too thorough?
> it seems easier to leave Logil, Logilmsg in place rather than require
> an extra (periodic) merge.  one can't get by simply with bind
> before/after.

+1.

i haven't done this because there's no assurance such a patch
would be accepted so it would just result in a bigger delta,
but if netlog used an interface like flag_install (from the fs
kernel), it would be a step to seperating the protocols
riding on ip.

the protocols are currently imho too intertwined.  and arp is
too bound up with ip.  arp is useful even without an ip stack.

- erik