* [9fans] $sysname isn't set in the 'live' part of the iso
@ 2007-05-17  7:30 Sander van Dijk
From: Sander van Dijk @ 2007-05-17  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

as Wes noted in his mail "Error booting from latest plan9.iso
download", booting the 'live' part of the iso gives an error, because
$sysname isn't set (booting the installer does work, $sysname is set
to "gnot" in that case).
It seems however that the focus of that thread was, from there on, on
fixing this issue on a freshly installed plan9 system; the fact that
the 'live' part of the iso isn't working either seems to have lost
attention. Since this is the first thing many newcomers (including
myself) are going to see, I guess it deserves a fix. Sorry for the
noise if work is already being done on this.

Greetings, Sander.

* Re: [9fans] $sysname isn't set in the 'live' part of the iso
@ 2007-05-17  9:28 ` David JEANNOT
From: David JEANNOT @ 2007-05-17  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> as Wes noted in his mail "Error booting from latest plan9.iso
> download", booting the 'live' part of the iso gives an error, because
> $sysname isn't set (booting the installer does work, $sysname is set
> to "gnot" in that case).
> It seems however that the focus of that thread was, from there on, on
> fixing this issue on a freshly installed plan9 system; the fact that
> the 'live' part of the iso isn't working either seems to have lost
> attention. Since this is the first thing many newcomers (including
> myself) are going to see, I guess it deserves a fix. Sorry for the
> noise if work is already being done on this.
>
> Greetings, Sander.

See "sorry: termrc-error" on plan9changes list for the fix.
Indeed, It doesn't seem to have been applied yet.

david

* Re: [9fans] $sysname isn't set in the 'live' part of the iso
@ 2007-05-17 10:41   ` Sander van Dijk
From: Sander van Dijk @ 2007-05-17 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/17/07, David JEANNOT <djeannot24@gmail.com> wrote:
> See "sorry: termrc-error" on plan9changes list for the fix.
> Indeed, It doesn't seem to have been applied yet.

Considering it was sorried, I doubt it's going to be applied. I guess
it was deemed an incorrect fix. I lack knowledge to judge whether this
is right or wrong, but regardless of that, the original problem is
still there.

@ 2007-05-21  7:42     ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2007-05-21  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As WorkAround you can use plan9 boot floppy with plan9.ini on it.

[menu]
menuitem=install, Install Plan 9 from this CD
menuitem=cdboot, Boot Plan 9 from this CD

[common]
*nomp=1
*nodumpstack=1
partition=new
mouseport=ask
monitor=ask
vgasize=ask
dmamode=ask
adisk=/dev/sdD0/cdboot
cdboot=yes

[install]
nobootprompt=local!/boot/bzroot
bootfile=sdD0!cdboot!9pcflop.gz

[cdboot]
sysname=gnot
bootargs=local!#S/sdD0/data
bootfile=sdD0!cdboot!9pccd.gz

--
С Уважением
Жилкин Сергей

* Re: [9fans] $sysname isn't set in the 'live' part of the iso
@ 2007-05-21  9:35       ` Sander van Dijk
From: Sander van Dijk @ 2007-05-21  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/21/07, Sergey Zhilkin <szhilkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> As WorkAround you can use plan9 boot floppy with plan9.ini on it.

Thanks for the hint, I guess that's the easiest way for now, since
this doesn't imply any changes to the iso itself.
I'm wondering though what the real solution is going to be. Is this
even the correct list to discuss this, or should I file a bug report
to 9trouble? I sent my mail to 9fans because of the "But probably
using 9fans is a better idea as the persons taking care of 9trouble
are usually very busy" remark on the Mailing Lists page on the wiki,
but I'm not sure if that remark was intended only for people looking
for support, or for bug reports as well...

Gr. Sander.

* Re: [9fans] $sysname isn't set in the 'live' part of the iso
@ 2007-05-21 11:25         ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2007-05-21 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm wondering though what the real solution is going to be. Is this
> even the correct list to discuss this, or should I file a bug report
> to 9trouble?

I've just submitted an alternative patch.

* Re: [9fans] $sysname isn't set in the 'live' part of the iso
@ 2007-05-22 10:04           ` Sander van Dijk
From: Sander van Dijk @ 2007-05-22 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/21/07, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > I'm wondering though what the real solution is going to be. Is this
> > even the correct list to discuss this, or should I file a bug report
> > to 9trouble?
>
> I've just submitted an alternative patch.

I see it is applied already, thanks!

Gr. Sander.