* [9fans] New to programming and Plan 9
@ 2006-11-02  1:48 Ryan Petersen
From: Ryan Petersen @ 2006-11-02  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello, I have decided to learn programming, starting with C. I want to cut
my teeth on C and Plan 9 at the same time. I've been using UNIX-like
operating systems for some time now, but I'd really like to get into Plan 9.
Something about it intrigues me, except for the fact that it doesn't support
Dvorak keymapping (to my knowledge). So, does anyone have an idea of how I
can learn to use Plan 9's C compiler? I am assuming that it has a compiler
included by default.

* Re: [9fans] New to programming and Plan 9
@ 2006-11-02  2:29 ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-11-02  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So, does anyone have an idea of how I
> can learn to use Plan 9's C compiler?

``The C Programming Language,'' by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, 2nd Ed.
``The Practise of Programming,'' By Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike.

in that order.

* Re: Re: [9fans] New to programming and Plan 9
@ 2006-11-02  3:01   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2006-11-02  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I would suggest http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/comp.html

-rob

@ 2006-11-02  4:41   ` Ryan Petersen
From: Ryan Petersen @ 2006-11-02  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Excellent Call. The first book is the book I'm using to learn from,
actually.

@ 2006-11-02  8:08     ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-11-02  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

you can go to irc.freenode.net to #plan9 channel, you can get 'live'
help there, if there is someone with free time :)

gabi

@ 2006-11-02  9:54     ` Abhey Shah
From: Abhey Shah @ 2006-11-02  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it does support dvorak (including the single handed variants), do man
kbmap.
On 2 Nov 2006, at 04:41, Ryan Petersen wrote:

> Excellent Call. The first book is the book I'm using to learn from,
> actually.
>
> On 11/1/06, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com > wrote:> So, does
> anyone have an idea of how I
>> > can learn to use Plan 9's C compiler?
>>
>> ``The C Programming Language,'' by Brian Kernighan and Dennis
>> Ritchie, 2nd Ed.
>> ``The Practise of Programming,'' By Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike.
>>
>> in that order.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 632 bytes --]

it does support dvorak (including the single handed variants), do man
kbmap.

On 2 Nov 2006, at 04:41, Ryan Petersen wrote:

<excerpt>Excellent Call. The first book is the book I'm using to learn
from, actually.

On 11/1/06, <bold>Brantley Coile</bold>
wrote:> So, does anyone have an idea of how I

<excerpt>> can learn to use Plan 9's C compiler?

``The C Programming Language,'' by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie,
2nd Ed.

``The Practise of Programming,'' By Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike.

in that order.

</excerpt></excerpt>

* Re: Re: [9fans] New to programming and Plan 9
@ 2006-11-02 10:07     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-11-02 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > So, does anyone have an idea of how I
> > can learn to use Plan 9's C compiler?

>I would suggest http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/comp.html
>-rob

indeed ... because its title is ``How to Use the Plan 9 C Compiler''!

* Re: [9fans] New to programming and Plan 9
@ 2006-11-02 10:17 ` prem
From: prem @ 2006-11-02 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found
plan9.escet.urjc.es/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
very useful while learning programming with Plan9, very well written
(thanks to Nemo)

-Prem

@ 2006-11-06  3:22   ` kabilan p
From: kabilan p @ 2006-11-06  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi prem, where are you from? I am kabilan working in Plan9/Limbo/Inferno. I
am from tamilnadu. India.

With Regards,
Kabilan

@ 2006-11-07 18:02     ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-11-07 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi prem, where are you from? I am kabilan working in Plan9/Limbo/Inferno. I
> am from tamilnadu. India.

Is this some kind-of dating service mailinglist?

@ 2006-11-07 23:26       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-11-07 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 11/7/06, Sascha Retzki <sretzki@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi prem, where are you from? I am kabilan working in Plan9/Limbo/Inferno. I
> > am from tamilnadu. India.
> >

> Is this some kind-of dating service mailinglist?

If it is we're really pathetic :-(

* Re: Re: [9fans] New to programming and Plan 9
@ 2006-11-07 23:37         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-11-07 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Is this some kind-of dating service mailinglist?
>
> If it is we're really pathetic :-(

not satisfied with your current OS? call 999-4 GLENDA ... that's 999-4GL-ENDA
bunnies are standing by.

* Re: Re: [9fans] New to programming and Plan 9
@ 2006-11-08  0:01           ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-11-08  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

on a similar note ...

1-888-LUSTOCK was the Lucent Stock Options Line
1-800-LUSTOCK was a phone sex line

either one entertaining in a perverse way ...

brucee

@ 2006-11-08  0:07             ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2006-11-08  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

honda did the same thing -- even down to the incorrect use of 800. I have a
nice new honda manual which points me to a phone sex line instead of the
NTSB.

ron

@ 2006-11-08  0:26               ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-11-08  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

we never could contrive something to match the numbers,
though LUST was a good start and i liked LUSTMAL.

anyway this is way of any topic.

on another topic, thanks to whoever worked over the
kernel memory detection code (jmk i guess).  my fastest
server only recognized 64M, but i didn't care much as
i only wanted it for grunt.  finally updated the kernel
and now i have 1G.

brucee