* [9fans] 64-bit usb boot environment
@ 2013-10-21  4:48 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-21  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this isn't perfect, or complete, but there is a minimal
64-bit and/or 386/pae usb boot environment here
http://ftp.quanstro.net/other/usbtest.bz2.  it's only 10mb,
so it should be a quick download.  the reason
for building this was to quickly debug a system that wouldn't
install, but it might be interesting to try out.

a few random notes and gotchas:

0.  with dhcp, one can get to get to the full distribution with:
	ip/ipconfig && ndb/dns && 9fs atom

1.  you will find the usb boot device @ /dev/sdu0, a loopback
device.

2.  there is a bug in kfs (patched in 9atom; patch submitted to
sources) to be aware of.  so be careful if using tools from
sources on 64-bit kernels.

3.  finally, there's (by plan 9 standards) quite a bit of acpi support
in the 64-bit kernel.  power events have been somewhat rashly
turned on, and may cause trouble.

as always, i'd be interested in any reports of success or failure.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 64-bit usb boot environment
@ 2013-10-21  4:53 ` Rubén Berenguel
From: Rubén Berenguel @ 2013-10-21  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Erik, quick question:

how can I go about getting it into one of my USB drives (if possible a
method without needing a working P9, because all I have are virtual
machines and I think they are in my other computer) and testing some of my
"I'd like P9 here but installing got f*ed up"? I think every time I have
tried it something or other has either made it non boot, or pretty similar
(plug, reboot, nothing, repeat)

Thanks,

Ruben

@ 2013-10-21  4:57   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-21  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Oct 21 00:54:51 EDT 2013, ruben@mostlymaths.net wrote:

> Erik, quick question:
>
> how can I go about getting it into one of my USB drives (if possible a
> method without needing a working P9, because all I have are virtual
> machines and I think they are in my other computer) and testing some of my
> "I'd like P9 here but installing got f*ed up"? I think every time I have
> tried it something or other has either made it non boot, or pretty similar
> (plug, reboot, nothing, repeat)

if you have a unix-like system, then
	bunzp2 < usbtest.bz2 |dd of=/my/usbdisk/device
should do.  i think there's something similar for windows, but
i don't use windows much.

@ 2013-10-21  8:07 ` john francis lee
From: john francis lee @ 2013-10-21  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

  Object not found

The object /other/usbtest.bz2 does not exist on this server.

errstr: '/usr/web/ftp/other/usbtest.bz2' directory entry not found
uri host:
header host: ftp.quanstro.net
actual host: ladd.quanstro.net

--
john francis lee
246/3 Moo 22

Hi there, NSA 'analysts', in-house and/or contracted.

Just reminding you that if you are reading this you are committing a crime, that you are felons mocking the 4th Amendment of our US Constitution ...

   "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

... and that someday, really soon I hope, you're going to have to pay for your crimes.

You're breaking international laws as well, so if you're thinking of the 'I was only following orders!' 'defense' ... Please see Nuremberg Principle IV ...

   "The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or of a superior does not relieve him from responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in fact possible to him".

... and start exercising your moral choice. Look upon Thomas Andrews Drake and Edward Snowden as your exemplars and Patron Saints.

* Re: [9fans] 64-bit usb boot environment
@ 2013-10-21 10:12     ` john francis lee
From: john francis lee @ 2013-10-21 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdiaz, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

thanks.