* [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18  2:18 Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-18  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello. I tried to see the Inferno document "An Overview of Limbo/
Tk" (inferno_root/doc/limbotk/tk.pdf) with page, and it looks blurry.
So I decided to put it on my Mac OS X, and Adobe Reader didn't open
it. I then found it was a ps file, not a PDF file. Why does Inferno
use the .pdf extension, then?

PS - I converted the PS to a PDF with Mac OS X and it it still
blurry :-( The Inferno distribution doesn't come with any images so I
can't rebuild from the troff source.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 10:00 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-01-18 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This has been discussed in the past in the proper place for it: the
inferno-list.

And no, I don't remember why there are postscript files with .pdf
extension, and obviously have no clue why this has not been fixed.

uriel

On Jan 18, 2008 3:18 AM, Pietro Gagliardi <pietro10@mac.com> wrote:
> Hello. I tried to see the Inferno document "An Overview of Limbo/
> Tk" (inferno_root/doc/limbotk/tk.pdf) with page, and it looks blurry.
> So I decided to put it on my Mac OS X, and Adobe Reader didn't open
> it. I then found it was a ps file, not a PDF file. Why does Inferno
> use the .pdf extension, then?
>
> PS - I converted the PS to a PDF with Mac OS X and it it still
> blurry :-( The Inferno distribution doesn't come with any images so I
> can't rebuild from the troff source.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 11:24 ` Charles Forsyth
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-01-18 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Why does Inferno
> use the .pdf extension, then?

that's what gs produced on plan 9 when i asked for pdf.
i tried another program elsewhere, probably gs on linux, but it didn't fare any better.
i should probably try the adobe site that converts single documents, if that's still there.
i'm reluctant to buy a new acrobat copy just for one file.
they lost my vote when they added javascript.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 13:38   ` Wes Kussmaul
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2008-01-18 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Charles Forsyth wrote:

> i should probably try the adobe site that converts single documents, if that's still there.
> i'm reluctant to buy a new acrobat copy just for one file.

OpenOffice Writer can output to pdf.

--
Wes Kussmaul
CIO

781-647-7178

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive
use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify attorney Mort Hapless at Vulner, Exposed & Wideopen LLP immediately at either (781) 647-7178, or at
ohoh@vulex.com, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. No, really. Really. Listen, we mean it! Hey,
if you don’t stop reading that confidential stuff about our client you’re in big trouble. OK, we’re the ones in trouble
but we’ll find a way to go after you, or at least we think we may be able to. Look, we’re begging you. Just click the
delete button and move on to a message that concerns you, OK? Please?? We'll buy you lunch...

Identity is the Foundation of Security™. Let Authentrus (authentrus.com) ensure that only intended recipients receive
your confidential messages.

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 14:27     ` Martin Neubauer
From: Martin Neubauer @ 2008-01-18 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Wes Kussmaul (wes@authentrus.com) wrote:
> OpenOffice Writer can output to pdf.

But can it input from ps (or troff output?)

	Martin

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 15:15   ` Alexander Sychev
From: Alexander Sychev @ 2008-01-18 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:24:31 +0300, Charles Forsyth
<forsyth@terzarima.net> wrote:

>> Why does Inferno
>> use the .pdf extension, then?
>
> that's what gs produced on plan 9 when i asked for pdf.
> i tried another program elsewhere, probably gs on linux, but it didn't
> fare any better.
> i should probably try the adobe site that converts single documents, if
> that's still there.
> i'm reluctant to buy a new acrobat copy just for one file.
> they lost my vote when they added javascript.

BTW, what a type of source files? Are they the TeX-files? In such case
.pdf might be produced by pdflatex ;-).

--
Best regards,
   santucco

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 15:30   ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2008-01-18 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> that's what gs produced on plan 9 when i asked for pdf.
> i tried another program elsewhere, probably gs on linux, but it
> didn't fare any better.

gs on linux comes with a tool `ps2pdf' which seems to work fine on the
inferno documents.

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-01-18 15:47   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-01-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> that's what gs produced on plan 9 when i asked for pdf.
> i tried another program elsewhere, probably gs on linux, but it didn't fare any better.
> i should probably try the adobe site that converts single documents, if that's still there.
> i'm reluctant to buy a new acrobat copy just for one file.
> they lost my vote when they added javascript.

ps2pdf works fine on Plan 9: I just tested it on tk.ps.
The result is at http://swtch.com/tk.pdf

Judging from the contents of the current tk.pdf, it looks
like you might have slipped and run

	pdf2ps tk.ps tk.pdf

instead of

	ps2pdf tk.ps tk.pdf

The names of the commands are slight misnomers.
Only the ``2xxx'' part matters: they both accept either PS or PDF
as input.  If you type the wrong one, then GhostScript
blindly converts PS -> PS or PDF -> PDF.
The current tk.pdf is definitely the output of GhostScript's PS writer.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 16:16     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-01-18 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Judging from the contents of the current tk.pdf, it looks
> like you might have slipped and run [pdf2ps]

of course, thank you; the error was in the mkfile and i didn't notice the implausible name
when it ran.  perhaps i then dutifully copied the same name if i ran it by hand on linux systems,
although i thought i'd snarfed and sent darren bane's suggested command for plan9ports.
a little mystery but who really cares?  i'll ship the updated pdf

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 16:26       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-01-18 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> a little mystery but who really cares?

in retrospect i'm surprised that pdf2ps didn't complain about the
postscript input but perhaps that operation makes sense (from a computer's point of view)

* Re: [9fans] Inferno /sys/doc: PDFs are actually PS?
@ 2008-01-18 19:50     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-01-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

They are troff(1) source files using the ms(6) macro set (the
extension .ms). Man pages on Plan 9, though :-) TeX is available for
Plan 9, though