* [9fans] mDNS
@ 2016-01-02  9:29 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2016-01-02  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

mmmm,

I am confused, are you talking of replacing the interface to dns(1)?

I had no real plan, maybe to just make mDNS accumulate broadcast and
multicast mDNS messages into a virtual file in /lib/ndb format.

more importantly I really need a publish system, which would be just based off
/lib/ndb/local, just a static spec.

my target is porting shairport, and maybe Dnla at a later date.

-Steve

> On 2 Jan 2016, at 03:42, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri Jan  1 19:32:25 PST 2016, marc@boschma.cx wrote:
>>
>>> On 2 Jan 2016, at 7:05 am, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>>> anyone done any work to implement mDNS / bonjour on plan9?
>>
>> No, but I have an interest; just starting out with Plan9 :)
>>
>>> my rough plan is to write a file server which generates /lib/ndb/mdns
>>> which can be included into your /lib/ndb/local.
>>>
>>> I fear the biggest hassle is the clash of UDP port use may mean
>>> mDNS must become part of dns(1) rather than a separate file server.
>>
>> Shouldn’t dns(1) only bind to unicast UDP port and thus mDNS could bind to the multicast UDP port?
>>
>> Are you only considering resolution or also publishing services?
>
> it would make sense to me to make a dnsudp request file server that manages requests, and
> fork (ha!) that task off to it.  this file server would not care if it's querying normal dns,
> or mdns.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] mDNS
@ 2016-01-02 17:41 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2016-01-02 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Jan  2 01:31:36 PST 2016, steve@quintile.net wrote:

> mmmm,
>
> I am confused, are you talking of replacing the interface to dns(1)?
>
> I had no real plan, maybe to just make mDNS accumulate broadcast and
> multicast mDNS messages into a virtual file in /lib/ndb format.
>
> more importantly I really need a publish system, which would be just based off
> /lib/ndb/local, just a static spec.
>
> my target is porting shairport, and maybe Dnla at a later date.

that wasn't what i had in mind at all.  dns(1) does a whole bunch of things,
including.
- answering queries via /net/dns
- answering queries via udp, and tcp,
- maintence of database ndb files
- resursive resolution via udp or tcp
- caching of results

currently these functions are all in ndb/dns, and there isn't even threading.
that seems like a hard structure to maintain.

- erik