* [9fans] xen port
@ 2004-08-12 23:27 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2004-08-12 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, I had some time off but I'm back on the Xen port. And it's getting
pretty far. I hit a few weird issues but worked them out. All I have left
to do is get a virtual enet working and I'll be fully booting Plan 9. It's
mostly there.

I'm off for vacation now. At some point in sep. I will be handing the code
out and will probably be looking for some brave souls to help me turn my
code into something worthwhile, as well as find all the things I got
wrong. So, if you think you might want to help, check out the Xen web
page, set it up on your machine, and let me know.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] xen port
@ 2004-08-12 23:29 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2004-08-12 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> So, if you think you might want to help, check out the Xen web
> page, set it up on your machine, and let me know.

ahh, "crazy" ron minnich [blame f2f] :)

* Re: [9fans] xen port
@ 2004-08-12 23:47   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-08-12 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ahh, "crazy" ron minnich [blame f2f] :)

wouldn't i love to be called 'crazy' in the same context!

* [9fans] venti question
@ 2004-08-17  0:40 ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-08-17  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This "paper" implies feasible attacks against SHA-0:
  http://eprint.iacr.org/2004/199.pdf

and there are (unconfirmed) rumors that the attack has been
successfully extended to SHA-1.

I was wondering what the implications of this would be to venti.
It would seem that it may open the door to malicious corruption
of venti data.  Of the top of my head -- if you could anticipate
some data that will be stored in the near future and have enough
time to calculate a collision for it, you could submit bogus data
with the same hash.  When the data is stored later, it will be
discarded because venti will already think it has the data.

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] venti question
@ 2004-08-17 15:40   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-08-17 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I was wondering what the implications of this would be to venti.

It would not be hard to move a Venti system to a new hash function,
especially if the hash function has 160 bits of output.

Russ