* [9fans] Win32 9p, rangboom, etc
@ 2009-07-20 20:56 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2009-07-20 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What is the current state of NT 9p filesystem drivers?

I know Rangboom has one in their product (although I think
perhaps its not really used?).  Do they plan to release
it in the future?  Is the Rangboom fs driver reusable with
plan9 or inferno servers?  If so, does anyone have information
on how to use the driver?  Does anyone have any insights
into Rangboom's progress - ie. are they still around, and
making commercial progress?

Is anyone working on an open source 9p filesystem driver
for NT?

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] Win32 9p, rangboom, etc
@ 2009-07-21  6:48 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-07-21  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the installable filesystem (IFS) for windows hasn't been worked on in
over a year.  it really has gone as far as it needs to in the current
state.  there is a wish list of enhancements, but no time (or reason)
to work on them now.

the last major filesystem integration was done by brucee when he added
support for FUSE (based on rsc' 9pfuse).  i'm cleaning up the agent
sources (mainly file arrangement) and will be putting up the sources
in the near future.  it will include everything BUT the IFS interface;
no decision on releasing that.

my main focus now is on improving namespace access through browsers
rather than worrying about importing via 9p into native file systems.
however the agent uses 9p to serve the namespace.  i'm moving the web
ui to GWT which should allow more features/flexibility.  fgb finished
a major component for this (cgifs) to ease feature development.

a few people are working on integrating rangboom into their
environment.  perhaps they would describe their project if they wish.

Rangboom is progressing, but it is competing with other priorities and
commitments.

-Skip