* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
       [not found] <Pine.SGI.4.10.10106111623560.619-100000@irixbum.ca>
@ 2001-06-12 11:39 ` pac
From: pac @ 2001-06-12 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:
>>
>> > nonsense.  physics is a science.  i can predict things with it.
>> >

>> the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics guarantees that there is some
>> space left for art in physics :)
>>
>> andrey

uncertainty "principle" is induced by the method of observation: would you have
a better certainty if you had to observe the macroworld by cannonballs?
science formulates and tests hypotheses... the part of CS that does it is likely a part
of maths; the rest is engineering (I use to say `technology'). BTW, does art test any hypotheses?

peter

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12 12:06   ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-06-12 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, pac wrote:

> BTW, does art test any hypotheses?

Yes, "Do you 'get it'?"

              "...where annual election ends, tyranny begins;"

                               Thomas Jefferson & Samuel Adams

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12 12:55     ` pac
From: pac @ 2001-06-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, pac wrote:
>>
>> > BTW, does art test any hypotheses?
>>
>> Yes, "Do you 'get it'?"

No.

P.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12 13:07       ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >> Yes, "Do you 'get it'?"

err, i think the 'uncertainty principle' posting was a...
joke.  ok?

* [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12 21:13         ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-06-12 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:

> err, i think the 'uncertainty principle' posting was a...
> joke.  ok?

Which is relevant to art being science how?

@ 2001-07-18 15:49           ` Ralph Corderoy
From: Ralph Corderoy @ 2001-07-18 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi George,

> I still writhe with embarrassment recalling an interview for the UK
> N.E.R.C

What's N.E.R.C?

Ralph.

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-29 21:27           ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-29 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Should'a employed him then. Anybody slavish enough to dress up to get a job
> is probably going to work hard for the first 7 months until disallusionment
> sets in.

they should come to france.

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-29  4:30         ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-06-29  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 11:03:57PM +0100, Matt wrote:

> He had a nice suit on though.

You don't get, it then :-)  It's the shoes, what shoes was he
wearing? Were they well polished?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-28 23:20         ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2001-06-28 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

  > We had a CS graduate come for an interview. He was clearly a bit clueless.
  > The questions were scaled down to make him feel a bit better when he left.
  > "What is a hexadecimal number?"
  > "A combination of numbers and letters"

You know, there are contexts where this is the right answer. Like, if you
manipulate them as input/output objects and need to check the datastream
to see if the tokenising input should end.

And, the difference between Hex 0F and Decimal 15 is that both have exactly
the same bit-pattern in memory. Strangely, if you add 2 apples in hex
and 2 oranges in decimal OR octal, you still have 4 bits of fruit. So, you
can do mixed-base sums after all. Why don't they teach you that at
school any more?

I had a chum who'd had a 6th finger cut off early. If they'd left it on, would
he have had any advantages doing finger arithmetic?

  > He had a nice suit on though.

Should'a employed him then. Anybody slavish enough to dress up to get a job
is probably going to work hard for the first 7 months until disallusionment
sets in.

I still writhe with embarrassment recalling an interview for the UK N.E.R.C
to get a junior progroid job onboard the antarctic ships, when asked to
write a solution to pythagoras in pascal, there, in front of the panel. Flop
sweat and memory loss and nicotine withdrawal and sheer fright combined to
make it both humiliating for me, and revealing for them. I think they made
the right decision to quietly let me go. Still, I got to see the steam loco
graveyard at barry island so it wasn't all wasted.

cheers
	-George

PS I suspect that in this niche, people aren't working as a result of a
successful interview. I think they probably know people who know people
who trust people who let them on board. If there is an interview, its
more like dogs sniffing each other, or 'do you wanna be in my gang?' than
joining the army.

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm@apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-28 22:03       ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-06-28 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-28 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I know they've covered Assembler, Java, C++ and Databases.

surely s/he could have picked a 5th worthless subject...

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]   ` <0cc301c0f2c0$78949560$e8b7c6d4@SOMA>
@ 2001-06-16 23:34   ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-06-16 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My friend is on his third year (of 4) of his Computer Science Degree.
I know they've covered Assembler, Java, C++ and Databases.

I mentioned to him that Dennis Ritchie posted to 9fans thinking he might be
interested.

"Who?"

I didn't bother saying
"Those who do not understand Unix are doomed to reinvent it - poorly..."

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12 18:48               ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <10df01c0f357$6fff23b0$e8b7c6d4@SOMA> you write:
>i think i'll have to take feynman's stance:
>
>    physics is to math what sex is to ...
>
>i just can't get a good reference for this 1999? quote.

Feynman was dead in 1999.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12 15:50             ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-06-12 15:13     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Apparantly, some guy did come up with an algorithm that runs in
> better than O(n lg n) using no additional memory.  I don't have
> a literature pointer, though; sorry.

i do.

La Boîte Bleue:

    http://idiot-dog.com/humor/boite-bleue.html

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12 14:18           ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <15141.18819.7956.967025@nido.hilbert.space> you write:
>Would you say Math is a science?.
>Its theoretical foundations are based on turing machines...

Woah, they are?  Mathematics, and many of its theoretical foundations,
existed for a really long time before Alan Turing was born....

>(I believe all physics are written in math simbols...)

Basically, but each discipline seems to invent its own psuedo-
mathematical notation.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but it can
get really confusing (cf. i in mathematics vs. j in engineering).

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
       [not found] ` <Pine.GSO.4.21.0106111803090.26443-100000@spirit>
@ 2001-06-12 14:15   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.0106111803090.26443-100000@spirit> you write:
>how about not being able to sort a list at better than n log n?

Ahem, uhh, I can sort in O(n) if I have auxilliary memory of size
proportional to n.  :-)

@ 2001-06-12 14:12     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-12 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <0cc301c0f2c0$78949560$e8b7c6d4@SOMA> you write:
>nonsense.  physics is a science.  i can predict things with it.

I can predict things with computer science as well: the average
and worst-case running times of an algorithm, for instance, or
the amount of memory used by activation records in a recursive
algorithm.

>does computer science predict anything for me?  i'll give you that
>it does have an axiom that states:
>
>    you will be plagued by bugs in any development effort

This is a software engineering maxim.  Speaking of which....  There
are ``laws'' of software engineering that are kind of like laws of
physics.  Add more programmers to a late project, and it gets later;
etc.

>but that doesn't really predict anything in anything that vaguely
>approaches a _law_ of physics -- pick one.  eg.  the prohibition
>of speeds greater than the of speed of light.

The Church-Turing thesis; NP-complete problems; the halting problem,
just to name a few.

>comp sci is more like an engineering discipline with very few
>fundamentals.

Maybe, but that wasn't even my point.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12  1:08         ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Very true, but the above CS attitude encourages the production of
> drones, while discouraging and even punishing those with the audacity
> to try and do some self directed learning.

i don't disagree, but when you had 2000 students and one 11/780 for
all of them (even with share/hacks giving you a maximum of 128
simultaneous student logins) i guess something had to be done.
more resources would have been nice.

on the other hand, it was always a nice clause to use on password
crackers and others nuisances.

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12  0:42       ` Scott Merrilees
From: Scott Merrilees @ 2001-06-12  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Then you have the occasional CS dept / Computer Centre with a computer
>> usage policy that probihits all use of the univerity computer systems
>> except for specific course work.

>boyd:
>yeah, but some of us got around that and the more you got around
>it the more you learned -- the useful stuff.

Very true, but the above CS attitude encourages the production of
drones, while discouraging and even punishing those with the audacity
to try and do some self directed learning.

Sm

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-12  0:16     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-12  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-06-12  0:09   ` Scott Merrilees
       [not found]   ` <0cc301c0f2c0$78949560$e8b7c6d4@SOMA>
From: Scott Merrilees @ 2001-06-12  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-06-11 23:43 ` Jim Choate
From: Jim Choate @ 2001-06-11 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Boyd Roberts wrote:
>
> > nonsense.  physics is a science.  i can predict things with it.
> >

> the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics guarantees that there is some
> space left for art in physics :)

Ignorance is not art.

But I suspect that Godel's Incompleteness Theorem is a bigger factor.

Computer Science is like Physics, applied mathematics to observable
phenomenon (where the 'science' comes from). When you 'apply' either you
get a 'technology'. So consider them 'applied theory'. 'Engineering' is
applying such an applied theory to real world problems, applied applied
theory.

       [not found]       ` <0cb501c0f2bf$97cacea0$e8b7c6d4@SOMA>
@ 2001-06-11 22:43         ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2001-06-11 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Boyd Roberts writes:
 > From: "Boyd Roberts" <boyd@fr.inter.net>
 > Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
 > Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:43:45 +0200
 >
 > From: "Dan Cross" <cross@math.psu.edu>
 > > Okay, this is getting way off topic for 9fans, but, let me ask
 > > this: at the real abstract, pure level, is science any different
 > > at all from art?  I contend that they're one and the same.
 >
 > nonsense.  physics is a science.  i can predict things with it.
 >
 > does computer science predict anything for me?  i'll give you that
 > it does have an axiom that states:
 >
 >     you will be plagued by bugs in any development effort
 >
 > but that doesn't really predict anything in anything that vaguely
 > approaches a _law_ of physics -- pick one.  eg.  the prohibition
 > of speeds greater than the of speed of light.
 >
 > comp sci is more like an engineering discipline with very few
 > fundamentals.

¿Would you say Math is a science?.
Its theoretical foundations are based on turing machines...
(I believe all physics are written in math simbols...)
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"
--
    /"\
    \ /    ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-11 21:43       ` Boyd Roberts
       [not found]       ` <0cb501c0f2bf$97cacea0$e8b7c6d4@SOMA>
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-11 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "Dan Cross" <cross@math.psu.edu>

@ 2001-06-11 15:38 Laura Creighton
From: Laura Creighton @ 2001-06-11 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cross; +Cc: 9fans, lac

>Dan Cross:
>Okay, this is getting way off topic for 9fans, but, let me ask
>this: at the real abstract, pure level, is science any different
>at all from art?  I contend that they're one and the same.

Only if you do it right.

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-11 15:19     ` Dan Cross
       [not found]       ` <0cb501c0f2bf$97cacea0$e8b7c6d4@SOMA>
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-06-11 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <041601c0f10d$72dabaa0$e8b7c6d4@SOMA> you write:

@ 2001-06-11  8:27     ` pac
From: pac @ 2001-06-11  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

IMHO, CS is to mathematics, as medicine is to biology; personally, I call them both "technology" :-(
Peter

--
Peter A. Cejchan
Dept. Paleobiology, Inst. Geology Acad. Sci.,

A plea:
Please, consider your support to the Public Library of Science initiative at
http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org

* [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-09 18:50 ` andrey mirtchovski
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2001-06-09 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote:

> >>our computer science department has strong roots in algorithmics.
>
> that might be true, but do the students, in the main, write programs
> except those they are required to do for assessments and projects?

* Re: [9fans] Re: the 'science' in computer science
@ 2001-06-09 17:56   ` Boyd Roberts
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-06-09 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i don't think i'd go so far to call it a science -- more like an art.