* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  1:34   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-10  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> try it without venti.  I think I'm also running a bleeding edge fossil but
> with no venti and mine doesn't go tits up.

For what it's worth, I did a bleeding-edge install
two weeks ago and then did Venti and it was fine.

I think you have the Venti variable wrong.
It needs to be

	venti=tcp!127.1!17034 tcp!127.1!80

if I recall correctly.

Russ

* [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  1:46 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-10  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, I just installed from the bleeding edge ISO, fossil file system, and
have sent up venti as per the WIKI web page on setting up venti.

I have also done this:

venti -w /dev/sdC0/arenas0 venti.conf
so that the conf is in the venti partition.

Finally, in plan9.ini I have set this:
venti=127.1

Boot suicides on the way up with an invalid address trap.

What kind of general thing should I look for at this point?

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  1:49 ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-10  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

try it without venti.  I think I'm also running a bleeding edge fossil but
with no venti and mine doesn't go tits up.

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  1:58       ` Russ Cox
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-10-10  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Anyway I did just this this exact setting in plan9.ini:
> venti=tcp!127.1!17034 tcp!127.1!80
> [is that really right?]

Actually, no it's not.  I just checked /sys/src/9/boot/local.c.

You want:

	venti=#S/sdC0/venti-conf-disk

where #S/sdC0/venti-conf-disk is the disk you branded
with venti/conf -w.

You can say

	venti=#S/sdC0/venti-conf-disk tcp!127.1!17034 tcp!127.1!8000

but the last two fields are the defaults.

Still, the boot process shouldn't be page faulting,
so this might not solve your problem.
But /sys/src/9/boot/local.c is where you want to look
(and look carefully at any messages before the
page fault).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  2:03   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-10  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, David Presotto wrote:

> try it without venti.  I think I'm also running a bleeding edge fossil but
> with no venti and mine doesn't go tits up.

yup, it's working fine minus venti, I've got one bootmenu entry with and
one without, and the one with is the one that always dies.

So this is a known problem and not something I've set up wrong? (well,
in reality, it could be both ...)

ron

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  2:13     ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-10  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Not a known problem, I just don't happen to run a venti and was running
a new kernel with a fossil so I figured it was worth a try.  Now you
have to figure out what was wrong before.  A crashing PC would help.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2816 bytes --]

From: ron minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 20:03:53 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, David Presotto wrote:

> try it without venti.  I think I'm also running a bleeding edge fossil but
> with no venti and mine doesn't go tits up.

yup, it's working fine minus venti, I've got one bootmenu entry with and
one without, and the one with is the one that always dies.

So this is a known problem and not something I've set up wrong? (well,
in reality, it could be both ...)

ron

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  2:22     ` ron minnich
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-10  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Russ Cox wrote:

> I think you have the Venti variable wrong.
> It needs to be
>
> 	venti=tcp!127.1!17034 tcp!127.1!80

well, ok, but looking at some of the source it looked like processes were
trying to talk to this:
tcp!$venti!venti

which makes some sense.

Anyway I did just this this exact setting in plan9.ini:
venti=tcp!127.1!17034 tcp!127.1!80
[is that really right?]

same problem.

ron

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  2:28     ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-10-10  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I think you have the Venti variable wrong.
> It needs to be

shouldn't there be a loopback address configured before venti can
start on 127.1?  my boot file for pcfl has the following:

	ipconfig loopback /dev/null 127.1

just before venti...

would this work if put in plan9.ini:

	bootargs=tcp loopback /dev/null 127.1

?

then the other ip address can be configured later via dhcp?  or maybe
it has to be configured immediately because fossil needs it...  ugh,
complicated...

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  2:30       ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-10  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It needs the 17034 because until the file system starts up, there is no /lib/ndb/common
to translate venti into 17034.

Of course, this doesn't help since it still doesn't work...

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  2:33       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-10  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, ron minnich wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Russ Cox wrote:
>
> > I think you have the Venti variable wrong.
> > It needs to be
> >
> > 	venti=tcp!127.1!17034 tcp!127.1!80
>
> well, ok, but looking at some of the source it looked like processes were
> trying to talk to this:
> tcp!$venti!venti
>
> which makes some sense.
>
> Anyway I did just this this exact setting in plan9.ini:
> venti=tcp!127.1!17034 tcp!127.1!80
> [is that really right?]

hmm.

OK, I can do this after booting without any venti set up in plan9.ini:

venti/venti -w
vac -h 172.15.239.128 ...

but not

vac -h 127.1 ...

Strikes me as odd because I can
telnet tcp!127.1!venti
just fine.

But the vac -h 127.1 hangs in Syn_sent (as shown by netstat) and finally
times out.

Time to go sleep more. Probably a silly /lib/ndb/local mis-settting.

ron

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  2:41         ` David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-10  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This new venti string should fix all of ron's problems since,
with a correct venti conf disk, he'll get into the if statement
in the boot process that mounts the loopback interface, which
is his second problem.

When he telnetted to 127.1, he was probably going to whatever machine
his default route points to and connecting to its local interface.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2629 bytes --]

From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:58:41 -0400

@ 2003-10-10  3:12         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-10-10  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Russ Cox wrote:

> You want:
>
> 	venti=#S/sdC0/venti-conf-disk

hey, yeah, I do. That did it!

I'm putting together a little 'wiki addition' and this goes in there too.

Now I have to figure out how to get fossil and venti from 'P' to 'Drive'.
:-)

Thanks

ron

* [9fans] kfscmd atime considered harmful
@ 2003-10-10 12:15         ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2003-10-10 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Using disk/kfscmd atime, which reduces disk activity by preventing the
updating of access times when files and directories are accessed for
reading, has an unfortunate side effect of making the effects of wstat
somewhat ephemeral:

term% ls -l d
--rw-r----- M 8 miller miller 0 Oct 10 10:31 d/one
--rw-r----- M 8 miller miller 0 Oct 10 10:31 d/two
term% disk/kfscmd atime
atimes will not be updated
term% chmod 666 d/one
term% mv d/two d/three
term% ls -l d
--rw-rw-rw- M 8 miller miller 0 Oct 10 10:31 d/one
--rw-r----- M 8 miller miller 0 Oct 10 10:31 d/three
term% du >/dev/null
term% ls -l d
--rw-r----- M 8 miller miller 0 Oct 10 10:31 d/one
--rw-r----- M 8 miller miller 0 Oct 10 10:31 d/two

I'll send a suggested fix to 9trouble@plan9.bell-labs.com

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-11  9:29   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-10-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>do not work.  Fossil and venti are run without /lib/ndb so they
>>require numeric ports.

a /lib/ndb by itself wouldn't be enough: ndb/cs would be needed as well,
or they'd need to do the lookup themselves.
(otherwise boot could simply toss something into /net/ndb temporarily
until /lib/ndb turned up.)

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
       [not found] <20031010022403.24764.97956.Mailman@psuvax1.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2003-10-10  3:08 ` David Swasey
From: David Swasey @ 2003-10-10  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I just got venti and fossil (from sources, not a CD) working on a
laptop.  I did not see any invalid address trap while debugging.

It took me an embarassingly long time to realize that network
addresses like

> tcp!$venti!venti

do not work.  Fossil and venti are run without /lib/ndb so they
require numeric ports.

Just in case it helps, I am including my boot, flproto, and
venti.conf.  They are rough.

-dave

#!/boot/rc -m /boot/rcmain
cd /boot
cp '#r/rtc' '#c/time'
bind -a '#I' /net
bind -a '#l0' /net
bind -a '#S' /dev
bind -a '#c' /dev
bind '#p' /proc
bind '#d' /fd
ipconfig
ipconfig loopback /dev/null 127.1
authaddr=`{sed -n 's/	auth=(.*)/\1/p' /net/ndb|sed 1q}
if(~ $authaddr ()){
	echo 'authdom=home auth=12.226.232.158' >> /net/ndb
	authaddr=12.226.232.158
}
factotum -a$authaddr -sfactotum -u
echo -n 'dma on' > /dev/sdC0/ctl
echo -n 'rwm on' > /dev/sdC0/ctl
venti -c venti.conf
fossil -f /dev/sdC0/fossil
echo -n 127.1 > '#e'/venti
mount -c '#s'/boot /root
bind -ac /root /
bind -c /root/mnt /mnt
mount -a '#s/factotum' /mnt
rootdir=/root
rootspec=''
exec /386/init -t

srv -p fscons
srv boot
#listen tcp!*!564
#listen il!*!564
fsys main config /dev/sdC0/fossil
fsys main venti tcp!127.1!17034
fsys main open
fsys main
users -r /active/adm/users

# the name of the index
index main

# the index sections
isect /dev/sdC0/isect0

# the arenas
# We could delete cfs and add a 512MB arenas1
arenas /dev/sdC0/arenas0

# Defaults are 1m, 0, 0
mem 1m
#bcmem 0
icmem 64k

addr tcp!127.1!17034
httpaddr tcp!127.1!80
queuewrites

* Re: [9fans] bleeding edge cd install
@ 2003-10-10  2:44 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-10  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There sure are a lot of chickens and eggs when starting a system that depends on
user level file system that depends on a user level network store that depends on the kernel
loaded that depends on the plan9.ini, all of which can be parameterized.  If you have
multiple machines, it really would be cool to have the venti on a system that didn't
depend on that venti.