* [9fans] rage 2 driver
@ 2002-06-28  8:52 bigbinc
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: bigbinc @ 2002-06-28  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am using ATI rage 2 driver and I got the install to work, but for
some reason the display is messed beyond usability.  In the upper
right side of the screen, there is a flickering white line.  When I
try to scroll the text over laps the existing text.  On the left side
of the screen it is completely black.  So basically I have what looks
like the plan9 gui, but it is messed up and unreadable.  The funny
thing is that the screen was perfect! when I did the install.  But
once I wanted to use the system every thing went to pieces?

Question 1, what is the best card for plan9?
Question 2, do you think it is my monitor which is generic
640x480(actually a hybrid mac monitor, dont ask)
Question 3, Why would the screen work for install mode from the floppy
but once I get to booting from the harddrive it doesnt work.

Berlin Brown
bigbinc@hotmail.com

* [9fans] Re: rage 2 driver
@ 2002-06-28 16:06 ` bigbinc
From: bigbinc @ 2002-06-28 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hmm, the plot thickens, my thinking is that I can change the settings for my
card.
Since my monitor only supports 640x480x8, I am thinking that the card or
settings
are set at a higher mode.  How would I check that also.  Since plan9 works
in
vga mode, I thought I might just use vga mode.  It may be slower but it is
better than
nothing.

Berlin Brown
bigbinc@hotmail.com

"bigbinc" <bigbinc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am using ATI rage 2 driver and I got the install to work, but for
> some reason the display is messed beyond usability.  In the upper
> right side of the screen, there is a flickering white line.  When I
> try to scroll the text over laps the existing text.  On the left side
> of the screen it is completely black.  So basically I have what looks
> like the plan9 gui, but it is messed up and unreadable.  The funny
> thing is that the screen was perfect! when I did the install.  But
> once I wanted to use the system every thing went to pieces?
>
> Question 1, what is the best card for plan9?
> Question 2, do you think it is my monitor which is generic
> 640x480(actually a hybrid mac monitor, dont ask)
> Question 3, Why would the screen work for install mode from the floppy
> but once I get to booting from the harddrive it doesnt work.
>
> Berlin Brown
> bigbinc@hotmail.com

* [9fans] Re: rage 2 driver
@ 2002-07-01  9:45 ` bigbinc
From: bigbinc @ 2002-07-01  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am excercising my rights to free speech.  I have two disks, one an install
disk, the other a boot disk.  The boot disk has nothing on it except
PLAN9INI.BAK and some other big binary file.  Maybe I need to put plan9.ini
in the boot disk?  My install disk has plan9.ini and vgadb and vgainfo.txt.
I havent looked at my vgadb file on my hard drive, one I dont know how.  And
the plan9.ini file on hard drive, I can seem to find.  Actually I do 'cat'
in console mode but is there a 'less' or 'more'.

Berlin Brown
bigbinc@hotmail.com

"bigbinc" <bigbinc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am using ATI rage 2 driver and I got the install to work, but for
> some reason the display is messed beyond usability.  In the upper
> right side of the screen, there is a flickering white line.  When I
> try to scroll the text over laps the existing text.  On the left side
> of the screen it is completely black.  So basically I have what looks
> like the plan9 gui, but it is messed up and unreadable.  The funny
> thing is that the screen was perfect! when I did the install.  But
> once I wanted to use the system every thing went to pieces?
>
> Question 1, what is the best card for plan9?
> Question 2, do you think it is my monitor which is generic
> 640x480(actually a hybrid mac monitor, dont ask)
> Question 3, Why would the screen work for install mode from the floppy
> but once I get to booting from the harddrive it doesnt work.
>
> Berlin Brown
> bigbinc@hotmail.com

* [9fans] Re: rage 2 driver
@ 2002-07-01  9:46   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2002-07-01  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

bigbinc wrote:
> Since my monitor only supports 640x480x8, I am thinking that the card
> or settings are set at a higher mode.  How would I check that also.

Certainly, if you have told it to drive the monitor beyond its
capabilities you'll see strange artifacts and maybe some Magic
Smoke.

Check the plan9.ini file (in the installed Plan 9 filesystem, not
the diskette nor DOS C: partition).  It specifies the resolution
to be used as well as the monitor type.  This is explained in the
installation guide (last time I looked).

> Since plan9 works in vga mode, ...

Not last I heard.  Maybe it's using CGA mode for console text.
Anyway, not bitmap graphics support in VGA mode.  The reason was
said to be lack of software cursor (which VGA would require).
You can use Plan 9 in a rio-less (text) mode, but it won't be
very satisfying, e.g. no "acme" environment.  The text-mode
editors are "ed" and "sam -d"; usually that's all you really
need to fix things so that rio can be run.

* [9fans] Re: rage 2 driver
@ 2002-07-02  8:53 ` bigbinc
From: bigbinc @ 2002-07-02  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In case anybody is reading my personal thread, I finally went to a 3dfx
card, works great.  And I tried it on 3 different monitors.  Now next step,
learn how to use it.