* [9fans] lisp again.
@ 2009-09-07  7:29 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-09-07  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

lisp has been discuss in 9fans several times already

Anybody started porting clisp, gcl or any of the main lisp compilers?
I have been going at it on-and-off for some time never really
progressed, I was hoping
someone already started and got bored with it. I am hoping to use that
as a starting point.

where can I get the latest gcc port? maybe it's good enough to compile
one of the lisp compiler.

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] lisp again.
@ 2009-09-07 12:47 ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2009-09-07 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well, lisp != common lisp aside, I wouldn't mind a native CL system. I
haven't looked at the SBCL backend in quite sometime, but, assuming it's not
terribly insane, that would be a decent route. Most CL work that isn't
specific to one of the proprietary systems (Allegro, LispWorks, &c.) is
written with SBCL or, to a lesser extent, CCL. If anyone's interested in
working on a CL port to plan9, I'll start a lisp cabal, that can work on
other systems next.

I'll look today...

--
And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.
 -- Ovid

   "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the
joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

   "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

   "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
-- Heraclitus

* Re: [9fans] lisp again.
@ 2009-09-07 12:54   ` John Floren
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: John Floren @ 2009-09-07 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:47 AM, LiteStar numnums<litestar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, lisp != common lisp aside, I wouldn't mind a native CL system. I
> haven't looked at the SBCL backend in quite sometime, but, assuming it's not
> terribly insane, that would be a decent route. Most CL work that isn't
> specific to one of the proprietary systems (Allegro, LispWorks, &c.) is
> written with SBCL or, to a lesser extent, CCL. If anyone's interested in
> working on a CL port to plan9, I'll start a lisp cabal, that can work on
> other systems next.
>
> I'll look today...

One challenge with SBCL and some other implementations is that you
need a Common Lisp system already in place to compile them. I looked
into Clisp, which can be compiled with a C compiler, but after
fighting configure for a while I quit.

John
--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

* Re: [9fans] lisp again.
@ 2009-09-07 13:19     ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-09-07 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM, John Floren<slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:47 AM, LiteStar numnums<litestar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, lisp != common lisp aside, I wouldn't mind a native CL system. I
>> haven't looked at the SBCL backend in quite sometime, but, assuming it's not
>> terribly insane, that would be a decent route. Most CL work that isn't
>> specific to one of the proprietary systems (Allegro, LispWorks, &c.) is
>> written with SBCL or, to a lesser extent, CCL. If anyone's interested in
>> working on a CL port to plan9, I'll start a lisp cabal, that can work on
>> other systems next.
>>
>> I'll look today...
>
> One challenge with SBCL and some other implementations is that you
> need a Common Lisp system already in place to compile them. I looked
> into Clisp, which can be compiled with a C compiler, but after
> fighting configure for a while I quit.

Last time I looked into this, I was comparing different version of a
common lisp systems to see which one might be easy enough to port
during the weekend. I remember I dropped to at least 3
1. gcl-1.0
2. ecl-8.12
3. clisp -- I guess I can remove this from my list

fernan

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] lisp again.
@ 2009-09-07 13:37     ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2009-09-07 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I was going to use SBCL to cross compile SBCL for Plan9.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:54 AM, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:47 AM, LiteStar numnums<litestar@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Well, lisp != common lisp aside, I wouldn't mind a native CL system. I
> > haven't looked at the SBCL backend in quite sometime, but, assuming it's
> not
> > terribly insane, that would be a decent route. Most CL work that isn't
> > specific to one of the proprietary systems (Allegro, LispWorks, &c.) is
> > written with SBCL or, to a lesser extent, CCL. If anyone's interested in
> > working on a CL port to plan9, I'll start a lisp cabal, that can work on
> > other systems next.
> >
> > I'll look today...
>
> One challenge with SBCL and some other implementations is that you
> need a Common Lisp system already in place to compile them. I looked
> into Clisp, which can be compiled with a C compiler, but after
> fighting configure for a while I quit.
>
> John
> --
> "Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

--
And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.

@ 2009-09-07 13:39       ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2009-09-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Clozure might be enough as well; it's C, but I've no idea how many POSIXisms
are in the source...

--
And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.

@ 2009-09-07 13:51     ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-09-07 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM, John Floren<slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 8:47 AM, LiteStar numnums<litestar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, lisp != common lisp aside, I wouldn't mind a native CL system. I
>> haven't looked at the SBCL backend in quite sometime, but, assuming it's not
>> terribly insane, that would be a decent route. Most CL work that isn't
>> specific to one of the proprietary systems (Allegro, LispWorks, &c.) is
>> written with SBCL or, to a lesser extent, CCL. If anyone's interested in
>> working on a CL port to plan9, I'll start a lisp cabal, that can work on
>> other systems next.
>>
>> I'll look today...
>
> One challenge with SBCL and some other implementations is that you
> need a Common Lisp system already in place to compile them. I looked
> into Clisp, which can be compiled with a C compiler, but after
> fighting configure for a while I quit.

maybe the bootstrap can be done with linuxemu.

iru

* Re: [9fans] lisp again.
@ 2009-09-07 13:53       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-09-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> maybe the bootstrap can be done with linuxemu.

wouldn't that just give you yet another linux elf binary?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] lisp again.
@ 2009-09-07 14:10         ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-09-07 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:53 AM, erik quanstrom<quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> maybe the bootstrap can be done with linuxemu.
>
> wouldn't that just give you yet another linux elf binary?

you are right. it must know how to compile correct a.out(6).

iru