* [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 18:52 Aram Hăvărneanu
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2013-06-05 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I want to replace my CPU and file servers. I don't need much
performance, a new Atom is more than enough, but I'd like something
that supports at least 8GB RAM. This board seems nice:
  http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/X9/X9SBAA-F.cfm.

Where to put it though?

I want something completely silent. Think Soekris but 64 bit and
with a faster CPU. That means no PSU fan. Low power Atom boards
consume less power than laptops, I don't understand why nobody seems
to produce a design that does not use a fan for the PSU. The CPU
servers will be diskless, but for the file server I'd like something
that can fit a few drives. That means more than two. Four would be
ideal.

I am not limited to that board nor to Atom CPUs. I am curious what
other 9fans use or would like to use. Thanks.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 19:06 ` erik quanstrom
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-06-05 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jun  5 14:53:56 EDT 2013, aram.h@mgk.ro wrote:
> I want to replace my CPU and file servers. I don't need much
> performance, a new Atom is more than enough, but I'd like something
> that supports at least 8GB RAM. This board seems nice:
>   http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/X9/X9SBAA-F.cfm.

iirc, this motherboard only supports xhci usb, so that might be an issue.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 19:48   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-06-05 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is anyone working on a xhci driver? or is anyone willing to send hardware
so someone who's willing will write a driver for it?

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 19:51     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-06-05 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jun  5 15:49:12 EDT 2013, cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:
> is anyone working on a xhci driver? or is anyone willing to send hardware
> so someone who's willing will write a driver for it?

send me an address.  how many boards do you want?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 20:09 ` Skip Tavakkolian
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2013-06-05 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I use Supermicro 5015A-EHF-D525 1U servers in a 19" cabinet. they are
fairly quiet. you can usually find reasonably priced used 12U or 24U
cabinets at places like RE-PC.

i've not found a good way of mounting Sheeva and RPi cpu's in the cabinet.

@ 2013-06-05 20:35       ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-06-05 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

awesome! can you ship to germany? i'll see when i can schedule vacation
so i have the time :)

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 20:49         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-06-05 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jun  5 16:37:05 EDT 2013, cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote:
> awesome! can you ship to germany? i'll see when i can schedule vacation
> so i have the time :)

ich kanns mir ausrechnen.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 21:03 ` Bakul Shah
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-06-05 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For something low power you can use an external power brick and a "picoPSU" DC-DC converter with 12V in and 5V + 12V out with appropriate connectors. Check out mini-itx.com. Fanless power supplies are also available upto about 480W.

Though I don't worry about fan noise as my fileserver is not too far from a somewhat noisy 'frig! The FS is a standad tower case that can hold 8 disks (holds 6 now). It has large fans that are mostly silent.

On Jun 5, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Aram Hăvărneanu wrote:

> I want to replace my CPU and file servers. I don't need much
> performance, a new Atom is more than enough, but I'd like something
> that supports at least 8GB RAM. This board seems nice:
>  http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/X9/X9SBAA-F.cfm.
>
> Where to put it though?
>
> I want something completely silent. Think Soekris but 64 bit and
> with a faster CPU. That means no PSU fan. Low power Atom boards
> consume less power than laptops, I don't understand why nobody seems
> to produce a design that does not use a fan for the PSU. The CPU
> servers will be diskless, but for the file server I'd like something
> that can fit a few drives. That means more than two. Four would be
> ideal.
>
> I am not limited to that board nor to Atom CPUs. I am curious what
> other 9fans use or would like to use. Thanks.
>
> --
> Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-06-05 21:09 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2013-06-05 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I bought a SuperMicro X7SLA-H a few years ago, 2 1.6Ghz Atoms with 2xGbE,
though only 2GB of RAM. This is my home auth/cpu/file server.

I am very happy with it, it does have a small fan for the glue logic chip
but the cpu is passively cooled. I have this in an mini-ITX case with a pair or
mirrored SATA-3 Enterprise disks; It draws about 25W.

You probably cannot buy these any more but I am sure there is
somthing similar now. I thought must new Atom MBs didn't need fans
due to newer technology chipsets?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-05 21:12   ` Steven Stallion
From: Steven Stallion @ 2013-06-05 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

+1 to this, though I use a different chassis.

Since I'm relegated to an apartment at the moment, I have a desktop rack
mounted in a closet. My development boards are set on top of the cabinet
with 6-32 1/2" standoffs, which rest on an ESD mat grounded to the rack.
It's small, but gives me about 8U worth of space in cramped quarters.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I use Supermicro 5015A-EHF-D525 1U servers in a 19" cabinet. they are
> fairly quiet. you can usually find reasonably priced used 12U or 24U
> cabinets at places like RE-PC.
>
> i've not found a good way of mounting Sheeva and RPi cpu's in the cabinet.
>

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
>
>> I want to replace my CPU and file servers. I don't need much
>> performance, a new Atom is more than enough, but I'd like something
>> that supports at least 8GB RAM. This board seems nice:
>>   http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/X9/X9SBAA-F.cfm.
>>
>> Where to put it though?
>>
>> I want something completely silent. Think Soekris but 64 bit and
>> with a faster CPU. That means no PSU fan. Low power Atom boards
>> consume less power than laptops, I don't understand why nobody seems
>> to produce a design that does not use a fan for the PSU. The CPU
>> servers will be diskless, but for the file server I'd like something
>> that can fit a few drives. That means more than two. Four would be
>> ideal.
>>
>> I am not limited to that board nor to Atom CPUs. I am curious what
>> other 9fans use or would like to use. Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-06-06  5:17 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-06-06  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I don't understand why nobody seems
> to produce a design that does not use a fan for the PSU

In the same league, I was looking for an uninterruptable PSU and found
a single supplier and a price tag, for a single host of >USD 340.
Fanless, I must concede, but then the Li-Ion batteries weren't
included.

Something out there is odd, these are features every laptop gets from
the get-go.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06  5:34   ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-06-06  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jun 6, 2013, at 1:17, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

>> I don't understand why nobody seems
>> to produce a design that does not use a fan for the PSU
>
> In the same league, I was looking for an uninterruptable PSU and found
> a single supplier and a price tag, for a single host of >USD 340.
> Fanless, I must concede, but then the Li-Ion batteries weren't
> included.
>
> Something out there is odd, these are features every laptop gets from
> the get-go.
>
> ++L

Build a psu for my fileserver that has battery back up. It isn't fanless (honestly sounds like a jet taking off) but I have all of those fancy laptop features with about $100. If you have the know how building a psu is the way to go sometimes.

Veety

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06  5:46     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-06-06  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Build a psu for my fileserver that has battery back up.  It isn't
> fanless (honestly sounds like a jet taking off) but I have all of
> those fancy laptop features with about $100.  If you have the know
> how building a psu is the way to go sometimes.

Can you suggest a source for the construction details?  I thought I'd
searched the web pretty thoroughly and came up empty-handed.  Of
course, a UPS+PSU makes so little sense...

++L

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06  6:34   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-06-06  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 07:17:36 +0200 lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> In the same league, I was looking for an uninterruptable PSU and found
> a single supplier and a price tag, for a single host of >USD 340.
> Fanless, I must concede, but then the Li-Ion batteries weren't
> included.

UPSes come in a wide variety. A mate of mine manufacturers
500KVA commercial UPSes that can set you back upwards of
$100K.  And you can also buy a 600VA capacity UPS from Amazon
for $50.

What capacity and features were you looking for?

Typical computer UPSes use lead-acid batteries which are much
cheaper than Li-Ion. You can get a 12V 8Ah replacement battery
for about $15 and up.

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06  6:48     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-06-06  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What capacity and features were you looking for?

I'm looking to eliminate the 220V circuit between UPS and PSU
altogether, I believe it to be archaic and inefficient.  I'm also
looking for multiple inputs, so that eventually it will be possible to
connect the PSU directly to solar panels as well as to any available
generator (this is Africa: lots of sun, but the demand for electricity
outstrips the supply).

I've done some homework and I'm not happy with commercial offerings as
available here.  I'm looking for a circuit that can be built by an
amateur and will power a single conventional desktop computer (let's
say 300W), while at the same time it can be scaled to supply as many
such desktops as needed.  Given the handful of DC supplies required by
the average motherboard, the idea of stacking PSUs makes a lot of
sense to me.

A bit off topic, though.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06  7:31       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-06-06  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 08:48:14 +0200 lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > What capacity and features were you looking for?
>
> I'm looking to eliminate the 220V circuit between UPS and PSU
> altogether, I believe it to be archaic and inefficient.  I'm also
> looking for multiple inputs, so that eventually it will be possible to
> connect the PSU directly to solar panels as well as to any available
> generator (this is Africa: lots of sun, but the demand for electricity
> outstrips the supply).

You might want to google "living off the grid" (which, I am
sure, makes people in the poorer nations laugh). You should be
able to find stuff about 12V appliances, DC-DC converters,
etc. etc.

> I've done some homework and I'm not happy with commercial offerings as
> available here.  I'm looking for a circuit that can be built by an
> amateur and will power a single conventional desktop computer (let's
> say 300W), while at the same time it can be scaled to supply as many
> such desktops as needed.  Given the handful of DC supplies required by
> the average motherboard, the idea of stacking PSUs makes a lot of
> sense to me.

But what is the market? In places with very unreliable
electric supply people either make do without electricity or
if it is affordable use diesel generators (and now roof
mounted solar panels with inverters).

On the RaspberryPi.org site there is an article about setting
up RaspberryPi computers in a rural school in Ghana.  I think
something like that may be a more appropriate solution.  You
can find relatively simple designs for low power supplies but
generating 300W will be nontrivial. Particularly if you are
want to build many....

Still, a laudable goal. Have you checked out various
do-it-yourself sites?

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06  8:47         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-06-06  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Still, a laudable goal. Have you checked out various
> do-it-yourself sites?

I think I have a cultural inability to search the web, but I certainly
did try.

That I actually found a single supplier of Li-Ion battery backed-up
PSUs for desktop computers suggests that there is the engineering
savvy and possibly even a marketplace for such devices.

The marketplace itself is not terribly relevant, I'd be satisfied with
a higher unit cost if in some way it was possible to add capacity in
steps.  Being able to build it from readily available components (deep
discharge lead-acid batteries are one annoyingly unavoidable expense)
is important and one would like modules that can be trusted to last a
long time - if necessary by over-engineering them a little.

I will have a look at off-the-grid suggestions, but I fear they tend
to focus on pre-built modules and in my opinion the hobbyist can focus
on issues that commercial companies prefer to avoid, such as quality
and long-term reliability.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06  8:51         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2013-06-06  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if it is affordable use diesel generators

I have a UPS that won't sync with the generator, there are engineering
excuses for this, but it's ridiculous that two expensive pieces of
equipment can't cooperate to solve the problem they are designed to
address.

It's that type of absurdity that makes me think progress has lost the
plot.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06 13:21   ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2013-06-06 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> For something low power you can use an external power brick and a "picoPSU" DC-DC converter with 12V in and 5V + 12V out with appropriate connectors.

Yes - I use picoPSU with both atom and core i5 (low-power 2500T model),
and find them very reliable.  Besides being fanless they take up hardly
any space in a small case.

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and file servers
@ 2013-06-06 16:49     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2013-06-06 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just use old thinkpads from the scrapyard.
schrotti is an old x20 with broken screen, connected is one sata hdd via pcmcia.
The main file server is an x60 with docking station and pcmcia sata
card, together this gives me 4 sata ports. You just need the right
cables (ebay china).
In terms of webscale there is no power shortage or anything as I have
more thinkpad power converters than light switches. batteries hold
longer than 1 hour, so i don't need special gear. You just have to
plug-in more thinkpads, enable pxe-boot in bios and off you go. 12TB
is easy with 4*3TB drives
Some friends have my backups in their living rooms so they can listen
to my music or watch my films. Of course there is no need for
enterprise-class magnets or jet engines. Redundancy gets created by
creating more demand for my data.

On 6/6/13, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> For something low power you can use an external power brick and a
>> "picoPSU" DC-DC converter with 12V in and 5V + 12V out with appropriate
>> connectors.
>
> Yes - I use picoPSU with both atom and core i5 (low-power 2500T model),
> and find them very reliable.  Besides being fanless they take up hardly
> any space in a small case.

* Re: [9fans] Hardware recommandations for new CPU and
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-06-07  9:19 ` visphatesjava
From: visphatesjava @ 2013-06-07  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans