* [9fans] help: boot problem after install
@ 2002-02-26 10:27 emerth
From: emerth @ 2002-02-26 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

I've completed the install procedure succesfully, setup the boot to
occur from the Plan9 partition, but on boot an error occurs:

boot...
<what look like normal messages are printed...>
choose local!#S/sdC0/fs default root option
login as glenda with blank password
system prints "kfs...boot: nop..."
<long pause, the HDD light stays on>
system executes the rc file(s)
some messages are printed very quickly...
system prints over & over: "wrenwrite failed: i/o error"

I cannot quite catch the last few messages before the i/o error because
things happen too quickly. I would imagine this is related to my
plan9.ini, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

The system details are:
PC system
Abit BP6 dual Celeron mobo
2 Intel Celerons @ 366 MHz (not overclocked)
BIOS settings are factory default
384 MB PC100 RAM
no sound card
ATI Rage 128 AGP video (this sort of works with some distortion in the
install screen at 1024x768)
RTL8139 based ethernet card (this isn't supported, but I'll be getting
an Intel)
IBM Deskstar 20 GB disk
Plan9 is installed on 3rd partition, partition size is 1.5GB Partition 1
has PCDOS installed left over from a Netware install, partition 2 has
Atheos installed (the partition table has been worked on by PCDOS,
Netware 6, Linux and Plan9 ;-)

* [9fans] N/P - Re: help: boot problem after install
@ 2002-02-27 10:06 ` emerth
From: emerth @ 2002-02-27 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <3C7B1C9A.7276C679@telusplanet.net>, I wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

But the next morning I found comp.os.plan9 archive, and some past posts on the
same issue.

I can't imagine but the partition table might be messed up, hehehe. What one
gets for installing strange new OSs late at night.

Sorry for posting without doing a properly thorough search for answers.

EM