* Re: [9fans] fdsik suicide while installing
       [not found] <<575daf1f-ae2d-40e5-88c8-5407c7e82909@37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
@ 2009-10-02 15:59 ` erik quanstrom
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-02 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> sdc0 is reported as a Toshiba MK4026GAX, its a 40gb harddrive. I have
> tried it with out dma and with, no difference. I have tried manually
> running it
> and have had the same result. The number (1040) after fdisk changes,
> is that
> number of the command in rc? i.e. the 1040th command run, but the pc
> number
> stays the same.

the number, e.g., 1040, is the pid of the fdisk process.
the pc unfortunately is not valid.  it is beyond the end
of the text segment.

	; acid /n/sources/plan9/386/bin/disk/fdisk
	/n/sources/plan9/386/bin/disk/fdisk:386 plan 9 executable
	[...]
	acid: end
	0x00016048

could you send the output of
	; cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
you can get an rc prompt by typing !rc at the installer
prompt.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fdsik suicide while installing
@ 2009-10-05  9:31   ` Bob
From: Bob @ 2009-10-05  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Oct 2, 12:12 pm, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> > sdc0 is reported as a Toshiba MK4026GAX, its a 40gb harddrive. I have
> > tried it with out dma and with, no difference. I have tried manually
> > running it
> > and have had the same result. The number (1040) after fdisk changes,
> > is that
> > number of the command in rc? i.e. the 1040th command run, but the pc
> > number
> > stays the same.
>
> the number, e.g., 1040, is the pid of the fdisk process.
> the pc unfortunately is not valid.  it is beyond the end
> of the text segment.
>
>         ; acid /n/sources/plan9/386/bin/disk/fdisk
>         /n/sources/plan9/386/bin/disk/fdisk:386 plan 9 executable
>         [...]
>         acid: end
>         0x00016048
>
> could you send the output of
>         ; cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
> you can get an rc prompt by typing !rc at the installer
> prompt.
>
> - erik

This is with DMA enabled

inquiry TOSHIBA MK4026GAX
config 0040 capabilities 2f00 dma 00550020 dmactl 00550020 rwm 16
rwmctl 16
geometry 78140160 512 16383 16 63
part data 0 78140160

thanks for the help

* Re: [9fans] fdsik suicide while installing
@ 2009-10-05  9:35   ` Bob
From: Bob @ 2009-10-05  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Oct 2, 12:12 pm, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> > sdc0 is reported as a Toshiba MK4026GAX, its a 40gb harddrive. I have
> > tried it with out dma and with, no difference. I have tried manually
> > running it
> > and have had the same result. The number (1040) after fdisk changes,
> > is that
> > number of the command in rc? i.e. the 1040th command run, but the pc
> > number
> > stays the same.
>
> the number, e.g., 1040, is the pid of the fdisk process.
> the pc unfortunately is not valid.  it is beyond the end
> of the text segment.
>
>         ; acid /n/sources/plan9/386/bin/disk/fdisk
>         /n/sources/plan9/386/bin/disk/fdisk:386 plan 9 executable
>         [...]
>         acid: end
>         0x00016048
>
> could you send the output of
>         ; cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
> you can get an rc prompt by typing !rc at the installer
> prompt.
>
> - erik

inquiry TOSHIBA MK4026GAX
config 0040 capabilities 2F00 dma 00550020 dmactl 00550020 rwm 16
rwmctl 16
geometry 78140160 512 16383 16 63
part data 0 78140160

As a side note I did last partition the drive with Haiku. Its an OS
that is still relatively young. I am going to clear out the partition
map and try again.

* Re: [9fans] fdsik suicide while installing
@ 2009-10-05  9:40   ` Bob
From: Bob @ 2009-10-05  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Oct 2, 12:12 pm, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> > sdc0 is reported as a Toshiba MK4026GAX, its a 40gb harddrive. I have
> > tried it with out dma and with, no difference. I have tried manually
> > running it
> > and have had the same result. The number (1040) after fdisk changes,
> > is that
> > number of the command in rc? i.e. the 1040th command run, but the pc
> > number
> > stays the same.
>
> the number, e.g., 1040, is the pid of the fdisk process.
> the pc unfortunately is not valid.  it is beyond the end
> of the text segment.
>
>         ; acid /n/sources/plan9/386/bin/disk/fdisk
>         /n/sources/plan9/386/bin/disk/fdisk:386 plan 9 executable
>         [...]
>         acid: end
>         0x00016048
>
> could you send the output of
>         ; cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
> you can get an rc prompt by typing !rc at the installer
> prompt.
>
> - erik

It looks like the haiku partition map was confusing it. I used gparted
and created a new one and its ok

* Re: [9fans] fdsik suicide while installing
@ 2009-10-06 12:25   ` Bob
From: Bob @ 2009-10-06 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Oct 5, 10:50 am, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> > It looks like the haiku partition map was confusing it. I used gparted
> > and created a new one and its ok
>
> i think this is worth fixing, if you have the time to
> take a look off line.  divide-by-zero because of
> unexpected input is not acceptable.
>
> - erik
I'll take a look. I see if I can get a dump of the Haiku partition
table.

* Re: [9fans] fdsik suicide while installing
       [not found] <<7e4b96a3-16bc-4324-a409-537fabd60ee5@k4g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
@ 2009-10-05 13:52 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-05 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-10-02 15:40 Bob
From: Bob @ 2009-10-02 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have a dell inspiron 700m. I can boot the install cd just fine and
everything seems to work out of the box. I select a fossil
fileserver.
When I get to the partdisk task, it shows my harddrive as sdC0. I
select
that and I get

fdisk 1040: suicide:sys:trap: divide error pc=0x00825d4

sdc0 is reported as a Toshiba MK4026GAX, its a 40gb harddrive. I have
tried it with out dma and with, no difference. I have tried manually
running it
and have had the same result. The number (1040) after fdisk changes,
is that
number of the command in rc? i.e. the 1040th command run, but the pc
number
stays the same.

I downloaded the install cd today, if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Bob