* [9fans] Magic Mouse in 9vx?
@ 2010-02-28  3:27 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2010-02-28  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

	The multi-touch stuff added to plan9ports to make the Apple Magic
Mouse work is really nice; I confess I didn't really believe Russ when
he described it as feeling natural, but it does. It's pretty easy to
forget about the mechanics of what's going on under your hand. These
days, though, I spend most of my interactive time in 9vx. Is anyone
working on getting the multi-touch stuff working in 9vx?

Anthony Sorace
Strand 1

* Re: [9fans] Magic Mouse in 9vx?
@ 2010-02-28 12:58 ` Stuart Morrow
From: Stuart Morrow @ 2010-02-28 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:
>        The multi-touch stuff added to plan9ports to make the Apple Magic
> Mouse work is really nice; I confess I didn't really believe Russ when he
> described it as feeling natural, but it does. It's pretty easy to forget
> about the mechanics of what's going on under your hand. These days, though,
> I spend most of my interactive time in 9vx. Is anyone working on getting the
> multi-touch stuff working in 9vx?
>
> Anthony Sorace
> Strand 1

doing things to 9vx seems like a bad idea compared to just having a
p9p server with the /mouse and /mousectl for the magic mouse, and then
mounting that in your 9vx /dev.

same thing applies to drawterm, inferno, and probably glendix, which
together with 9vx and p9p is your entire aviary with one projectile.

so you detect whether it's drawterm or 9vx, and set root = /mnt/term
or '#Z' respectively and you mount $root/tmp/ns.$USER.$DISPLAY/mouse.
a linux way to get $USER and $DISPLAY is cat $root/proc/self/env | tr
'\0' '\n' |
grep, dunno if that works in OSX but whatever.

stu

* Re: [9fans] Magic Mouse in 9vx?
@ 2010-02-28 14:54   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-28 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> doing things to 9vx seems like a bad idea compared to just having a
> p9p server with the /mouse and /mousectl for the magic mouse, and then
> mounting that in your 9vx /dev.
>
> same thing applies to drawterm, inferno, and probably glendix, which
> together with 9vx and p9p is your entire aviary with one projectile.

seems antisocial to me to require p9p.  and drawterm
does work on platforms not supported by p9p.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Magic Mouse in 9vx?
@ 2010-02-28 19:24     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2010-02-28 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

regardless the code base is mostly the same for all three
and moving the code over should be fairly straightforward.

russ