From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: rhoyerboat@gmail.com, 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:34:58 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu Mar 15 22:06:46 EDT 2012, rhoyerboat@gmail.com wrote:

> Atom doesn't run well on Qemu, I'm not at all clued into on why, but the
> point is, residual attention on the net mostly comes from people with no
> large commitment in the process? I am probably the least paid guy talking
> (no complaints,) yet there is no way I could go buy an atom processor
> system and devote enough of my time to it in order to feel compelled to
> produce viable propaganda in support of one base or another. I am a little
> tempted to actually spend four hundred and build a little 9atom cluster,
> but time will tell. SSH2 in any form helps a ton.

my point wasn't about 9atom.  my point was only that i'm sorry
that more folks can't enjoy plan 9 due to silly technical problems.

however, since you brought it up, it should run on nearly any intel/amd
system built within the last 15 years.  i know it runs as a server in xen.
(that is, no vga.)  here are a couple of systems that i currently use

	http://www.quanstro.net/plan9/9atom/index.html

it also runs on dell and hp blade servers with intel mezzanine cards or
lan-on-motherboard, not that that matters. you should be able to
build/buy/craigslist a machine for $50 or less.

- erik