* [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-02-24 16:13 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2012-02-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, plan9-gsoc

Folks:
	The fine folks over at Google's Open Source Programs
Office have announced the 2012 edition of Summer of
Code. I intend to submit an application for Plan 9 to again
participate. I'd like your help in making this year a success.

	We had one major problem last year. Between Google's
decision to focus on bringing in a larger number of smaller
organizations and our own group's tendency to be pretty
hands-off on marketing, we got an abysmal showing in the
student application process. We got very few applications
(7, from memory), and only 3 of those (at best) were viable.
We were given two slots for student projects.

	This is bad for a few reasons. Obviously it means we
don't get as many people exposed to our code and our
community, we don't get as much work done, and we don't
have the opportunity to create new contributors, which is
the fundamental point of GSoC. It also makes our numbers
pretty vulnerable when, as happened last year, one
student goes silent at midterms and never resurfaces.

	This year, I'd like to make an explicit call for help from
our community in getting the word out. I know we have
several members who're attached to higher education
institutions; that's really the best route here. It's likely that
your school provides several ways of getting this program
in front of students; It'd be wonderful if you could look into
those. I've spoken to a few of you individually, but I'm sure
there are several more I'm not aware of.

	If you'd like help in terms of written text, presentation
outlines, whatever, just let me know. There's a good
collection of such things that folks have done for GSoC in
the past, and I'm happy to point you at relevant ones of
those or help you create more specific things. Just let me
know what you need. A good place to start is the FAQ[0].

	In the mean time, I'll be going through the wiki and
giving it a good scrubbing, moving the 2011 pages out of
the way and preparing for 2012. I'd encourage anyone
who's got some free time to take a look at that, as well.
And, of course, we'll need projects! Think about what
would make a good summer-sized project for a student.
And if you're at all interested in Plan 9's participation in
GSoC, I'd suggest joining the Google group for the
topic[1], where most of the discussion in the summer
goes on.

	Aside from that one major issue, last year went well. I
was able to get good feedback from a few people during
the application process, mentors signed up without
hassle, reviews of student applications were done well
and promptly. I'd like to thank everyone who's participated
so far, and I hope you'll sign up again once that's open.

Anthony

[0]	http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs
[1]	http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-02-24 16:19 ` Calvin Morrison
From: Calvin Morrison @ 2012-02-24 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 24 February 2012 11:13, Anthony Sorace <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> Folks:
>        The fine folks over at Google's Open Source Programs
> Office have announced the 2012 edition of Summer of
> Code. I intend to submit an application for Plan 9 to again
> participate. I'd like your help in making this year a success.
>
>        We had one major problem last year. Between Google's
> decision to focus on bringing in a larger number of smaller
> organizations and our own group's tendency to be pretty
> hands-off on marketing, we got an abysmal showing in the
> student application process. We got very few applications
> (7, from memory), and only 3 of those (at best) were viable.
> We were given two slots for student projects.
>
>        This is bad for a few reasons. Obviously it means we
> don't get as many people exposed to our code and our
> community, we don't get as much work done, and we don't
> have the opportunity to create new contributors, which is
> the fundamental point of GSoC. It also makes our numbers
> pretty vulnerable when, as happened last year, one
> student goes silent at midterms and never resurfaces.
>
>        This year, I'd like to make an explicit call for help from
> our community in getting the word out. I know we have
> several members who're attached to higher education
> institutions; that's really the best route here. It's likely that
> your school provides several ways of getting this program
> in front of students; It'd be wonderful if you could look into
> those. I've spoken to a few of you individually, but I'm sure
> there are several more I'm not aware of.
>
>        If you'd like help in terms of written text, presentation
> outlines, whatever, just let me know. There's a good
> collection of such things that folks have done for GSoC in
> the past, and I'm happy to point you at relevant ones of
> those or help you create more specific things. Just let me
> know what you need. A good place to start is the FAQ[0].
>
>        In the mean time, I'll be going through the wiki and
> giving it a good scrubbing, moving the 2011 pages out of
> the way and preparing for 2012. I'd encourage anyone
> who's got some free time to take a look at that, as well.
> And, of course, we'll need projects! Think about what
> would make a good summer-sized project for a student.
> And if you're at all interested in Plan 9's participation in
> GSoC, I'd suggest joining the Google group for the
> topic[1], where most of the discussion in the summer
> goes on.
>
>        Aside from that one major issue, last year went well. I
> was able to get good feedback from a few people during
> the application process, mentors signed up without
> hassle, reviews of student applications were done well
> and promptly. I'd like to thank everyone who's participated
> so far, and I hope you'll sign up again once that's open.
>
> Anthony
>
> [0]
> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs
> [1]     http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc

How can I apply for GSoC as a student? is it to late?

Calvin Morrison

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-02-24 16:23   ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2012-02-24 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Op 24 februari 2012 11:19 heeft Calvin Morrison
<mutantturkey@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

> [...]
>> would make a good summer-sized project for a student.
>> And if you're at all interested in Plan 9's participation in
>> GSoC, I'd suggest joining the Google group for the
>> topic[1], where most of the discussion in the summer
>> goes on.
>>
>>        Aside from that one major issue, last year went well. I
>> was able to get good feedback from a few people during
>> the application process, mentors signed up without
>> hassle, reviews of student applications were done well
>> and promptly. I'd like to thank everyone who's participated
>> so far, and I hope you'll sign up again once that's open.
>>
>> Anthony
>>
>> [0]
>> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs
>> [1]     http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc
>

> How can I apply for GSoC as a student? is it to late?

This year's program has not yet started; application submissions will
begin soon for organizations. After that, it will be a bit before
student applications begin being accepted. So it's definitely not too
late. Just check out the timeline at
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012. Hopefully
we are accepted again this year, and you can apply.

--dho

> Calvin Morrison

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-02-24 16:23   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2012-02-24 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Feb 24, 2012, at 11:19 , Calvin Morrison wrote:

> How can I apply for GSoC as a student? is it to late?

It's not too late - it's too early! Mentor organization applications
haven't even opened yet. Please review the timeline in point
2 in the FAQ[0].

@ 2012-02-24 16:30     ` Calvin Morrison
From: Calvin Morrison @ 2012-02-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 24 February 2012 11:23, Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> the application process, mentors signed up without
> >> hassle, reviews of student applications were done well
> >> and promptly. I'd like to thank everyone who's participated
> >> so far, and I hope you'll sign up again once that's open.
> >>
> >> Anthony
> >>
> >> [0]
> >>
> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs
> >> [1]     http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc
> >

> > How can I apply for GSoC as a student? is it to late?
>
> This year's program has not yet started; application submissions will
> begin soon for organizations. After that, it will be a bit before
> student applications begin being accepted. So it's definitely not too
> late. Just check out the timeline at
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012. Hopefully
> we are accepted again this year, and you can apply.

After reading the F.A.Q it is apparent that I do not fit the eligibility
requirements this year. I am interested in working on a project in the
future however.

Thank you,

Calvin Morriso

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-02-27  8:40       ` JIghtuse
From: JIghtuse @ 2012-02-27  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 24 February 2012 11:23, Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Op 24 februari 2012 11:19 heeft Calvin Morrison
>> <mutantturkey@gmail.com> het volgende geschreven:

>> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs
>> >

>> > How can I apply for GSoC as a student? is it to late?
>>
>> This year's program has not yet started; application submissions will
>> begin soon for organizations. After that, it will be a bit before
>> student applications begin being accepted. So it's definitely not too
>> late. Just check out the timeline at
>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012. Hopefully
>> we are accepted again this year, and you can apply.
>>
>> --dho
>>
>> > Calvin Morrison
>>

> After reading the F.A.Q it is apparent that I do not fit the eligibility
> requirements this year. I am interested in working on a project in the
> future however.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Calvin Morriso

Hello, plan9 team! Do you plan to post some of these simple gsoc2011 tasks
on 2012? I'm very interesting to join your project as part of gsoc2012 and
further.

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-02-28 17:36         ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2012-02-28 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Do you plan to post some of these simple gsoc2011 tasks on 2012?

Yes. I expect to get a short, first draft list of proposed ideas for 2012 projects
up some time today (likely late evening my time). I'd expect several from the
2011[1] list will show up again.

> I'm very interesting to join your project as part of gsoc2012 and further.

That's good to hear! To start off with, I'd suggest joining the Plan 9 Google
Summer of Code group[2]. Once we're fully underway, most discussion of
GSoC-specific issues takes place there.

Anthony

[1]	http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/gsoc-2011-ideas/index.html
[2]	http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc

@ 2012-03-14 19:03           ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2012-03-14 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

May I suggest to add an "easy" project to the list: review Plan9
installation.

The "howto install without" (explaining how to create a Plan9 realm
from another OS if the CD can not be used) that I posted a while
ago did not attract a lot of attention. But dealing with the install,
I saw many details that prevent a more versatile installation.

And fdisk(8) has still to be fixed (on the stack but too many things
going on with KerGIS or kerTeX for me).

From what I have seen, it is a light project.
                      http://www.kergis.com/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-14 19:38             ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2012-03-14 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> May I suggest to add an "easy" project to the list: review Plan9
> installation.
>
> The "howto install without" (explaining how to create a Plan9 realm
> from another OS if the CD can not be used) that I posted a while
> ago did not attract a lot of attention. But dealing with the install,
> I saw many details that prevent a more versatile installation.
>
> And fdisk(8) has still to be fixed (on the stack but too many things
> going on with KerGIS or kerTeX for me).
>
> From what I have seen, it is a light project.

I agree that the install situation could use some work--it can be a
little bit odd if you aren't installing from a CD like a good boy, or
if you try to build an ISO from somewhere that *isn't* Bell Labs. It's
actually pretty straightforward to modify, though; it didn't take me
very long to get an iso building and figure out how the installer
works.

I've already done some tweaking with this in Nix, moving the inst/
programs to /rc/bin/inst, which makes it possible to easily start an
installation when booted from the CD with option 2, "boot plan 9 from
this cd", eliminating the need for the 9pcflop kernel and its limited
root environment.

I'd worry that doing an overhaul of the installation process is more
of a 1-2 week project, although it would be useful and a very nice
simple task.

John

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-14 22:15               ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2012-03-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

At least in the past, I'm sure I followed a discussion that the summer of
code was intended (ie, required) to produce code,
not documentation or packaging, although that might have changed.

On 14 March 2012 19:38, John Floren <john@jfloren.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> > May I suggest to add an "easy" project to the list: review Plan9
> > installation.

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-14 22:57                 ` Anthony Sorace
                                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2012-03-14 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mar 14, 2012, at 18:15 , Charles Forsyth wrote:

> At least in the past, I'm sure I followed a discussion that the summer of
> code was intended (ie, required) to produce code, not documentation
> or packaging, although that might have changed.

This is true. All projects in GSoC are required to be (at least principally)
about producing code. No prohibition on including work on relevant
documentation, of course, but code must be the focus.

Which isn't to say that installation is out of scope. I could imagine a
proposal looking at creating installation CDs from trees or installing
under different circumstances being code-focused.

Anthony

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-15  0:35                   ` Devon H. O'Dell
                                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2012-03-15  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sending from phone, please pardon errors.

There are projects that use gsoc for docs and the like. I would see nothing
wrong with someone contributing code to the installer -- especially someone
with less familiarity with p9 than most 9fans -- they will likely taake
longer than 1-2 weeks. Additionally it might be a good opportunity to get
someone interested who doesn't have C skills, which is something we have
been historically awful at in GSoC.

--dho
On Mar 14, 2012 6:58 PM, "Anthony Sorace" <a@9srv.net> wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2012, at 18:15 , Charles Forsyth wrote:
>
> > At least in the past, I'm sure I followed a discussion that the summer of
> > code was intended (ie, required) to produce code, not documentation
> > or packaging, although that might have changed.
>
> This is true. All projects in GSoC are required to be (at least
> principally)
> about producing code. No prohibition on including work on relevant
> documentation, of course, but code must be the focus.
>
> Which isn't to say that installation is out of scope. I could imagine a
> proposal looking at creating installation CDs from trees or installing
> under different circumstances being code-focused.
>
> Anthony

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-15 22:01                   ` Jeremy Jackins
       [not found]                   ` <CAOr72mhZkyOd_0BmUMn3dYjF64dtvcO3yL7beAK8n+cwPr2oBg@mail.gmail.c>
       [not found]                   ` <CAEDadry=HSYbzrScF+J7AT2qUxzNr7TNy=tL8fXyt3qdH035cA@mail.gmail.c>
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2012-03-15 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Which isn't to say that installation is out of scope. I could imagine a
> proposal looking at creating installation CDs from trees or installing
> under different circumstances being code-focused.
>
> Anthony

+1. As a Plan 9 newbie, I certainly had issues with the installer. It
prevented me from using the system at all, until I came back about a
year later with more determination. In particular, the install CD did
not like my CD-ROM drive (or how it was configured in BIOS, or
something) or my USB mouse. All the talk of floppy disks in the
installation guide was scary and off-putting, and so was the lack of
any obvious way to install via USB drive.

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
       [not found]                   ` <CAOr72mhZkyOd_0BmUMn3dYjF64dtvcO3yL7beAK8n+cwPr2oBg@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2012-03-16  0:38                     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-16  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Mar 15 18:02:50 EDT 2012, jeremyjackins@gmail.com wrote:
> > Which isn't to say that installation is out of scope. I could imagine a
> > proposal looking at creating installation CDs from trees or installing
> > under different circumstances being code-focused.
> >
> > Anthony
>
> +1. As a Plan 9 newbie, I certainly had issues with the installer. It
> prevented me from using the system at all, until I came back about a
> year later with more determination. In particular, the install CD did
> not like my CD-ROM drive (or how it was configured in BIOS, or
> something) or my USB mouse. All the talk of floppy disks in the
> installation guide was scary and off-putting, and so was the lack of
> any obvious way to install via USB drive.

as someone who has worked hard to fix these things, it's frustrating
that the distribution didn't pick these things up.  :-(.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-16  1:55                       ` Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2012-03-16  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> as someone who has worked hard to fix these things, it's frustrating
> that the distribution didn't pick these things up.  :-(.
>
> - erik

These changes are in 9atom then, right? The plan9 ecosystem is still
rather confusing to me. Do the majority of users on this list use the
standard distribution? 9atom? 9front? Maybe Inferno? Or are people
divided?

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-16  2:06                         ` andrew zerger
From: andrew zerger @ 2012-03-16  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Atom doesn't run well on Qemu, I'm not at all clued into on why, but the
point is, residual attention on the net mostly comes from people with no
large commitment in the process? I am probably the least paid guy talking
(no complaints,) yet there is no way I could go buy an atom processor
system and devote enough of my time to it in order to feel compelled to
produce viable propaganda in support of one base or another. I am a little
tempted to actually spend four hundred and build a little 9atom cluster,
but time will tell. SSH2 in any form helps a ton.

--
⎼⎺⎺├@┼␊├├≤-␍⎼␊▒␍:/␤⎺└␊/⎼␤⎺#

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
       [not found]                   ` <CAEDadry=HSYbzrScF+J7AT2qUxzNr7TNy=tL8fXyt3qdH035cA@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2012-03-16  2:34                     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-03-16  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhoyerboat, 9fans

On Thu Mar 15 22:06:46 EDT 2012, rhoyerboat@gmail.com wrote:

> Atom doesn't run well on Qemu, I'm not at all clued into on why, but the
> point is, residual attention on the net mostly comes from people with no
> large commitment in the process? I am probably the least paid guy talking
> (no complaints,) yet there is no way I could go buy an atom processor
> system and devote enough of my time to it in order to feel compelled to
> produce viable propaganda in support of one base or another. I am a little
> tempted to actually spend four hundred and build a little 9atom cluster,
> but time will tell. SSH2 in any form helps a ton.

my point wasn't about 9atom.  my point was only that i'm sorry
that more folks can't enjoy plan 9 due to silly technical problems.

however, since you brought it up, it should run on nearly any intel/amd
system built within the last 15 years.  i know it runs as a server in xen.
(that is, no vga.)  here are a couple of systems that i currently use

	http://www.quanstro.net/plan9/9atom/index.html

it also runs on dell and hp blade servers with intel mezzanine cards or
lan-on-motherboard, not that that matters. you should be able to
build/buy/craigslist a machine for $50 or less.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-16  2:43                           ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2012-03-16  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rhoyerboat, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> SSH2 in any form helps a ton.

Taruti wrote a simple ssh2 client in go called scpu[1][2] that I've
been using since last summer. It builds on Plan 9 with gmake and her
(now outdated) port of go[2]. The command line options mirror those of
cpu(1), and it works well with factotum(4).

There is also a port of an older version of OpenSSH in fgb's contrib.
I've been using this for quite a while as well.

Neither of these fulfill the requirement for a native Plan 9 program,
but both have proven useful.

-sl

[1] https://bitbucket.org/taruti/scpu/
[2] http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/pkg/386/scpu-2012.03.15.tbz
[3] http://plan9.stanleylieber.com/pkg/386/go-2011.05.10.tbz

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2012
       [not found] ` <CAB+41mHTO=anpHyxSrPrv-8tGW19_-cA9=21HEjQPcemXdCVOA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-03-16  6:58   ` Paschke Christoph
From: Paschke Christoph @ 2012-03-16  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans Bell Labs of the OS Plan 9 from

Here is the italian "hell tutorial" I used with google translator. I let google translate it to german but I see, that it also translate to english with HELL etc.

http://basile.web.cs.unibo.it/inferno/

This was a quite good getting starting guide what I still found in english:
http://www.resc.rdg.ac.uk/twiki/bin/view/Resc/InfernoTutorial

With this 2 documents I got it run.

How I came to this Plan 9 base?
It's also funny. I was looking for an efficient GUI and I found some from a canadian programer. It was written in Ada and bound to the ncurses Library in C. So, you can used it in Linux, it has 600 function, really a big library and the text style matching my needs. But I watching out for a more distributed app concept, for a GUI that is distributed architecture, for application framework under witch distributed apps can reside etc. This distributed concept I had in mind and I asking the canadian developer of his GUI how it will be such way, it will not get work such way, I wish it would exist something that each driver and ressource can be connected with like a file so the GUI would be fine to get distributed.

I watching other Windowing solutions and find the name Rio. We have a parrot and it's name is Rio and I called my 8 year old daughter for fun: Oh, I found my solution, Rio!

From Rio I found to Plan 9 and from that place I recognized that this distributed OS and everything is a file was exactly that discussion I had before with the canadian developer of the Ada GUI. So other's also had that idea once a time. And when I see the name Bell Labs, Kernighan, Denis Richie, I know: Ok, this is something more than only a cloud that comes and goes. I see the little mem resources it needs and some other things and quite happy about such base already existing.

Who I came to inferno? I think it was the name Denis Richie who was involved in this project and it was the good entry website of vitanuova. It gives with this picture some idea of a working system, kind of a product, whereas the Plan 9 Webpage is really also like a university research project. So, I for me understand, that Inferno is something for normal user and Plan 9 is something for students and university. Maybe I'm wrong, but such my feeling. And so I got forward ...

Am 16.03.2012 um 02:32 schrieb Jerome Ibanes:

> That's funny, could you point me to this document?
>

> J.

* [9fans] GSoC 2012
@ 2012-03-15 22:27 Paschke Christoph
       [not found] ` <CAB+41mHTO=anpHyxSrPrv-8tGW19_-cA9=21HEjQPcemXdCVOA@mail.gmail.com>