* [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26  3:59 jmk
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: jmk @ 2005-02-26  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Here's a brief explanantion of some of the recent updates
to the core system, for the 3 of you out there still running
a native system.

8c	-H5 flag
	produces an ELF format header understood by the Plan 9
	libmach and by Grub

?c	-. flag
	suppress the default include file search order for include
	files enclosed by '"'

9load
	understand the -H5 format of 8c

wavelan
	accept keys in hex format

ethervt6102.c
	replacement for etherrhine which tries to recover better
	from errors and tries to optimise packet copies

--jim

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26  9:58 ` Tim Newsham
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-02-26  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 8c	-H5 flag
> 	produces an ELF format header understood by the Plan 9
> 	libmach and by Grub

Sounds like there's a story here.  Is Grub going to be a
supported boot method?

> --jim

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 12:16 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2005-02-26 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ethervt6102.c
> 	replacement for etherrhine which tries to recover better
> 	from errors and tries to optimise packet copies

Does this mean that vt6102-based adapters are a good choice in
a Plan 9 machine?  It's time I replaced my last remaining 10mb/s
card.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 13:37 ` Brantley Coile
                     ` (10 more replies)
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-02-26 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  for the 3 of you out there still running
> a native system.

Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

We are here at Coraid.  Multiple CPU servers, terminals, and drawterm,
two Ken FS systems.

 Brantley

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 14:53   ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2005-02-26 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Feb 26 07:17:42 EST 2005, 9fans@hamnavoe.com wrote:
> > ethervt6102.c
> > 	replacement for etherrhine which tries to recover better
> > 	from errors and tries to optimise packet copies
>
> Does this mean that vt6102-based adapters are a good choice in
> a Plan 9 machine?  It's time I replaced my last remaining 10mb/s
> card.
>
> -- Richard

not my first choice, they still require more copying that other
adapters. i'm not sure what's out there in the low-end add-in
card market. the realtek 8169 works ok but i've only seen those
cards in japan.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 15:05   ` Vester Thacker
                       ` (6 more replies)
                     ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Vester Thacker @ 2005-02-26 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:37:31 -0500, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
> >  for the 3 of you out there still running
> > a native system.
>
> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

1. Brantley
2. Vester Thacker
3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
4. <add your name here>

-vester

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 15:21     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
                       ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-02-26 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vester Thacker, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:05:15 +0900, Vester Thacker
<vester.thacker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:37:31 -0500, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
> > >  for the 3 of you out there still running
> > > a native system.
> >
> > Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?
>
> 1. Brantley
> 2. Vester Thacker
> 3. YAMANASHI Takeshi

4. Eric Van Hensbegren (couple of stand-alone thinkpads and a
auth/cpu/fs at work with another machine allocated for an auth/cpu/fs
at home) -- (of course I'm still using adapters I had while at Bell
Labs (and took with me)).

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 15:22     ` lucio
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: lucio @ 2005-02-26 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vester.thacker, 9fans

> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

1. Brantley
2. Vester Thacker
3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
4. Lucio

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 15:23     ` Christopher Nielsen
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2005-02-26 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vester Thacker, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:05:15AM +0900, Vester Thacker wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:37:31 -0500, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
> > >  for the 3 of you out there still running
> > > a native system.
> >
> > Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?
>
> 1. Brantley
> 2. Vester Thacker
> 3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
4. Christopher Nielsen (.75TB venti+fossil fileserver, cpu servers, thinkpad terminal)

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 15:25       ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2005-02-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 07:23:30AM -0800, Christopher Nielsen wrote:

> > > Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?
> >
> > 1. Brantley
> > 2. Vester Thacker
> > 3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
> 4. Christopher Nielsen (.75TB venti+fossil fileserver, cpu servers, thinkpad terminal)

i forgot to list the auth server. :-)

--

@ 2005-02-26 15:34         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-26 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I still run a native Plan 9 system.

It's a 233MHz P2 with 1G of ram and 0.5TB of disk.
It runs kfs and venti just fine (I never got around to
converting it to fossil -- it's mainly a venti server
these days), though eventually I should buy a faster
processor.  A few months ago I got Venti to the point
where the 10Mbps 3C590 ethernet card was a speed
bottleneck and I had to replace it with a 100Mbps card.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 16:04           ` Kris Van Hees
From: Kris Van Hees @ 2005-02-26 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I still run a single-system Plan9 installation, though it has been rather idle
lately due to other work taking my time.  Some minor work was going on on the
system to try to get it to talk to an existing AFS fileserver infrastructure,
but then it seemed more interesting to see about converting the fileservers
to something like venti+fossil and have the other systems talk to that.  That
hasn't happened yet either, though.

So for now, it's mainly collecting dust when I am not pulling updates from the
lab system, or reading email.

	Kris

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 16:11   ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-02-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Tim Newsham wrote:

> Sounds like there's a story here.  Is Grub going to be a supported boot
> method?

I have no idea about plans, but this does make it easier to boot plan 9
from linuxbios.

ron

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 16:11   ` Ronald G. Minnich
                     ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-02-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Brantley Coile wrote:

> We are here at Coraid.  Multiple CPU servers, terminals, and drawterm,
> two Ken FS systems.

we here at LANL.

ron

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 16:20       ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-02-26 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> > Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?
>
> 1. Brantley
> 2. Vester Thacker
> 3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
> 4. Lucio

wiki page entry?

ron

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 17:11             ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2005-02-26 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I keep a native plan9 machine around serving venti, mostly.   And to
remind myself how fast a real operating system compared to the dogs I'm
forced to use at work and for web browsing.
If only all my compilers could be that fast :-(
Paul

@ 2005-02-26 17:20               ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-02-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

plan9.ucalgary.ca is still very native.  it even has more than one
user logged in from time to time :)

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-26 17:37     ` noselasd
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: noselasd @ 2005-02-26 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:37:31 -0500, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
>> >  for the 3 of you out there still running
>> > a native system.
>>
>> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?
>
> 1. Brantley
> 2. Vester Thacker
> 3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
4. Nils O. Selåsdal

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 17:42     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2005-02-26 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the realtek 8169 works ok but i've only seen those
> cards in japan.

What about the rtl8139? - I don't really need GB speeds.

@ 2005-02-26 17:46 ` noselasd
From: noselasd @ 2005-02-26 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ethervt6102.c
> 	replacement for etherrhine which tries to recover better
> 	from errors and tries to optimise packet copies

Thanks for this. I was annoyed by iprint("etherrhine: unhandled irq(s)...
quite so often and a hosed network thereafter.
Not experienced any strange things so far with the ethervt6102

--
Nils O.  Selåsdal
nos@utel.no/noselasd@asgaard.homelinux.org

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-26 18:33     ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-02-26 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vester Thacker, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?
>
> 1. Brantley
> 2. Vester Thacker
> 3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
> 4. <add your name here>

I run:
   1. vmware - my primary platform, because my laptop is my
      fastest machine.
   2. xen - my file and cpu server.
   3. ultra2 - in development, mostly testing.
   3. dell dimension - older slower system but has supported ethernet
      and video - useful for net booting as a terminal.

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 18:43   ` Skip Tavakkolian
                     ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2005-02-26 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9Netics installations run kenfs+cpu/auth  (one set for .com
and another for .net) We use drawterm and Plan9 term running
on VMWare.

@ 2005-02-26 18:44       ` Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2005-02-26 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've got one cpu/fs/auth server (dodo.stetsonnet.org) and a thinkpad
that sometimes gets the luxury of booting plan9

Micah

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 19:21       ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2005-02-26 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Feb 26 12:43:35 EST 2005, 9fans@hamnavoe.com wrote:
> > the realtek 8169 works ok but i've only seen those
> > cards in japan.
>
> What about the rtl8139? - I don't really need GB speeds.

the plain 8139 has copying issues too. the 8139c+ is, however,
like the 8169 and has decent buffer management. it would be a
very small amount of work to make the 8169 driver handle the
8139c+ as well (the default mode of operation for the 8139c+ is
compatible with the plain 8139). at the prices we're talking
about, getting the gigabit capable 8169 will not break the
bank.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 19:45         ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2005-02-26 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> > the realtek 8169 works ok but i've only seen those
>> > cards in japan.
>>
>> What about the rtl8139? - I don't really need GB speeds.
>
> ...at the prices we're talking
> about, getting the gigabit capable 8169 will not break the
> bank.

It will when you add on the price of the flight to Japan ...

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 19:47         ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-02-26 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i recall that ozzie has a native plan9 machine.  he likes
"the space bunny" and he did ask sharon "did this really
come from outer space".  then the brats commandeered the
astronaut chair so we never got to see him use acme.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                       ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-26 19:57     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2005-02-26 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

on an elderly dual PPro (daily work), a ThinkPad (when travelling or
working in client's office), an ipEngine (tiny PowerPC network appliance),
and various others for occasional experiments.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 21:05         ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-02-26 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

By the way, can someone point me to the
explination of how to update wiki pages?
I want to add myself to the community list.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2857 bytes --]

From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: lucio@proxima.alt.za, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] some recent updates
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:20:27 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> > Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?
>
> 1. Brantley
> 2. Vester Thacker
> 3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
> 4. Lucio

wiki page entry?

ron

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 21:15           ` noselasd
From: noselasd @ 2005-02-26 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> By the way, can someone point me to the
> explination of how to update wiki pages?
> I want to add myself to the community list.

start with peeking at /acme/wiki/guide

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 21:27             ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-02-26 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Did that.  I got the page and make changes and b2'ed Put.  I got a
copy of the page on wiki syntax.  Should I logon in some way?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2242 bytes --]

From: noselasd@asgaard.homelinux.org
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:15:24 +0000

@ 2005-02-26 21:33           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-02-26 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> By the way, can someone point me to the
> explination of how to update wiki pages?
> I want to add myself to the community list.

the guide file and this script work for me:

	plan9% cat /bin/wiki
	#!/bin/rc

	echo 'Local srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki wiki /mnt/wiki'
	echo 'Wiki /mnt/wiki'
	plan9%

middle click 'wiki', then do the commands one by one...

'9fs wiki' can be substituted for the first like.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 21:37             ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-02-26 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks all.  Looks like it worked for me after all!
Guess I was just confused--as usual.

 Brantley

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2529 bytes --]

From: andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:33:22 -0700

@ 2005-02-26 21:40               ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-02-26 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Did that.  I got the page and make changes and b2'ed Put.  I got a
> copy of the page on wiki syntax.  Should I logon in some way?

no, it worked -- the update should appear on the web.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-26 21:43   ` Dave Eckhardt
                     ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2005-02-26 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

Carnegie Mellon University CS.  Right now one CPU server, one auth/fossil/venti,
mixture of drawterm and some dual-boot PCs.  "Community" is five daily/weekly
users plus some explorers.

Is anybody using dual- or quad-processor rack-mount hardware as a CPU server?
Care to recommend a configuration which "just works"?

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-26 21:45                 ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2005-02-26 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 27.02.2005, at 1:40, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

>> Did that.  I got the page and make changes and b2'ed Put.  I got a
>> copy of the page on wiki syntax.  Should I logon in some way?
>
> no, it worked -- the update should appear on the web.

This is a bug in the wiki code, as far as I remember (the code intends
to return you to the page you have been editing, but instead brings
back page #0). I had posted the patch and it had been updated (a year
ago), but probably wasn't applied to the plan9 wiki.

David

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27  0:24           ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2005-02-27  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:45:09 +0000, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:

> It will when you add on the price of the flight to Japan ...

To save you the hassle, just tell me what you need and I'll send it to you.
All costs paid by requesters. :-)

-vester
yamato, japan

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27  2:34   ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2005-02-27  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Feb 26 04:59:52 EST 2005, newsham@lava.net wrote:
> > 8c	-H5 flag
> > 	produces an ELF format header understood by the Plan 9
> > 	libmach and by Grub
>
> Sounds like there's a story here.  Is Grub going to be a
> supported boot method?
>
> > --jim
>
> Tim N.

I'm undecided. I was doing some prep work for the AMD64
port and thinking about how to boot it and thought using Grub might
save me some effort. It won't really, Grub and 9load are products
of parallel evolution ending in the same train wreck.

But I'll probably add in the remaining bits to poke around in the
multiboot info Grub leaves around and finish it off. What you have
now lets you boot a Plan 9 kernel but it has no config info usually
left by 9load.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-27  2:59   ` geoff
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: geoff @ 2005-02-27  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've got a collection of old machines.  There are two Ken-fs machines:
the production one uses 64-bit sizes, etc. with an HP 160FX WORM
jukebox plus a bunch of IDE and SCSI disks; the other uses 32-bit
sizes, mostly to confirm that the 32-bit code still works.

The number of CPU servers varies, but always includes at least one
dual-processor Pentium II. The main fs and cpu servers have Gbe cards
and are connected to a small Gbe switch.

There's one ordinary terminal and one laptop; drawterm is used rarely
and usually from afar.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27  3:14     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-02-27  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But I'll probably add in the remaining bits to poke around in the
> multiboot info Grub leaves around and finish it off. What you have
> now lets you boot a Plan 9 kernel but it has no config info usually
> left by 9load.

Does grub checksum the configuration information?  A magic number and
(optional but useful) checksum would allow one to select the correct
kernel boot.  The checksum would add confidence without needing to be
show stopper.

Which reminds me, is there a CRC-16 function (I'm sure I encountered
one in second edition many years ago) lurking somewhere that would
save me re-inventing it (I need it to model some HDLC operations)?  If
not, I'm sure with a bit of effort I can submit one, which library
would be most appropriate?

++L

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27  4:23     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-02-27  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've got a collection of old machines.  There are two Ken-fs machines:
> the production one uses 64-bit sizes, etc. with an HP 160FX WORM
> jukebox plus a bunch of IDE and SCSI disks; the other uses 32-bit
> sizes, mostly to confirm that the 32-bit code still works.

A bit like me.  I forget the individual server characteristics, but in
Kestell (my office in a small, predominantly agricultural village) I have

	. a small 4ed AUTH server (386-class, I keep having to
	  remember not to blow it by running floating-point applications
	  such as AWK on it), with my secstore on its local disk
	. an IDE Ken-FS in production use, Fossil/Venti which gets
	  updated frequently but is seldom actively used,
	. a 4ed CPU server largely for incoming e-mail,
	. my original 2ed fileserver upgraded to run 4ed Ken-FS and
	  serving 2ed and 3ed (in various states of disrepair) to no one
	  in particular because
	. the 2ed CPU/AUTH server isn't much use without a 2ed graphics terminal.

So I seldom run up the 2ed hardware, although occasionally it is worth doing.

	. My desktop runs off the IDE Ken-FS and

when in Cape Town is use Vncviewer to access

	. the CPU/AUTH/Fossil (no Venti) server permanently on my main
	  client's network.

Connectivity between Kestell and Cape Town is poor at best, so the two
network only exchange information when I manually persuade them to.

In the picture, the rack on the right holds, from top to bottom, the
386 AUTH server, the 2ed/3ed file server, the 2ed CPU/AUTH server, a
Netware 3.11 server, 2 unconnected CD-ROM jukeboxes, and the WinNT
Terminal Server.  At the bottom on the left, from left to right are
the 4ed CPU server, the Fossil/Venti server, the IDE-FS and the NetBSD
server.  The two SONY magneto-optical drives have both failed (I'm
sure it's the SCSI-to-ESDI interface that died, sadly) and I have very
little hope of resurrecting them.

++L

[-- Attachment #2: kestellNOC.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 54227 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27  7:49       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2005-02-27  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

There's a 32-bit CRC function:

	; lookman crc
	man 2 flate # flate(2)
	; sig mkcrctab blockcrc
		ulong *mkcrctab(ulong poly)
		ulong blockcrc(ulong *tab, ulong crc, void *buf, int n)

but it's also possible that some command has a 16-bit CRC function
within it.

Is there any particular advantage to using a 16-bit (rather than
32-bit) CRC, now that 16-bit machines are rare?

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27  9:39       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-02-27  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 9fans

> 	. an IDE Ken-FS in production use, Fossil/Venti which gets
> 	  updated frequently but is seldom actively used,

Oops, I missed a point when editing:

	. an IDE Ken-FS in production use,
	. Fossil/Venti which gets updated frequently but is seldom
	  actively used,

++L

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27 10:14     ` Sape Mullender
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Sape Mullender @ 2005-02-27 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

I run a stand alone 9pcf in Amsterdam and 9pccpuf in New Jersey.
I also have Plan 9 on two laptops, one in use by my wife.  I also
have Plan 9 on an old iPaq.
In New Jersey I use drawterm to get to Plan 9.

	Sape

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27 13:30                   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-27 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I thought I finally fixed this a month ago.
Have you updated recently?

Russ

@ 2005-02-27 15:57                     ` David Tolpin
From: David Tolpin @ 2005-02-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Russ Cox

On 27.02.2005, at 17:30, Russ Cox wrote:

> I thought I finally fixed this a month ago.
> Have you updated recently?

This is not me; the plan9 wiki in bell-labs still has the bug. If you
edit and commit a page, you'll be brought to the syntax page  instead
of one you edited (that's what the original poster complained about).

David

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27 16:02                     ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-02-27 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

> I thought I finally fixed this a month ago.
> Have you updated recently?
>
> Russ

I haven't done a pull recently.
I'll update the wiki.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27 16:09                       ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-02-27 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I haven't done a pull recently.
> I'll update the wiki.

copied new /n/sources/plan9/acme/wiki/src/wiki.c that
was modified on Jan 18.  Works great now.  Thanks.

I don't pull stuff as often as I should.  One gets
friendly with the bugs one knows.

  Brantley

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-27 18:53   ` blstuart
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: blstuart @ 2005-02-27 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In message <25c2e6b0238e4103e9e4b0adb04f9706@coraid.com>, Brantley Coile writes
:
>>  for the 3 of you out there still running
>> a native system.
>
>Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

I'm running a file server and a couple of stand-alone terminals.
Still trying to carve out enough time to set up the network I
really want.  Of course that means I have to get the Alpha port
working on my Digital Server 5300 and the time for that isn't
going to crop up anytime soon.

Brian L. Stuart

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27 21:19         ` Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz
From: Gorka Guardiola Múzquiz @ 2005-02-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Here we are. We run native systems for the servers and some terminals. We
run vmware for the laptops.

@ 2005-02-27 22:55       ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2005-02-27 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

I have a PC with PII, ~628MB RAM, 80GB IDE running plan9 with auth/fs/cpu
configuration. It runs with kfs and I have also configured venti. I use
drawterm, plan 9 term to connect to the server.

I also have a T23 with Pentium, 1GB RAM, ~50GB disk that dual boots Win
2000 and plan 9. I use fossil under Plan 9. I am yet to make it do
auth/fs/cpu and set up venti.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-27 22:58       ` vdharani
From: vdharani @ 2005-02-27 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

i dont know if anyone in vitanuova has mentioned but i am sure they have a
bunch of machines running plan 9.

thanks
dharani

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-28  2:04       ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2005-02-28  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, cnielsen

Would you mind telling me what hardware you've got for the venti+fossil
fileserver?

I've budgeted for a new hardware purchase and want to make sure I'm
lining up with something that runs venti well.

jas

On Feb 26, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Christopher Nielsen wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:05:15AM +0900, Vester Thacker wrote:
>>>
>>> Just for the record, how many people are still running native
>>> systems?
>>
>> 1. Brantley
>> 2. Vester Thacker
>> 3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
> 4. Christopher Nielsen (.75TB venti+fossil fileserver, cpu servers,
> thinkpad terminal)
>
> --
> Christopher Nielsen
> "They who can give up essential liberty for temporary
> safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                     ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-28  3:44   ` Federico Benavento
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Federico Benavento @ 2005-02-28  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

A standalone pcf

--
Federico G. Benavent

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-28  3:49       ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-02-28  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Sape Mullender wrote:

> have Plan 9 on an old iPaq.

any ipaqs out there that work?

ron

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-28  4:44         ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2005-02-28  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My ipaq works, for small values of `work', when I bother to use it.

The problem is that its only connectivity is via wi-fi, which I just
don't find usable for sustained sessions while wandering around in
arbitrary places; it's like trying to run a diskless Sun through two
gateways (the kind that often dropped back-to-back packets [Proteon?])
to its server, circa 1986.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it just
mysteriously and annoyingly goes away.

Plus the screen really is just too tiny to do anything serious.

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-28  5:00           ` Ronald G. Minnich
From: Ronald G. Minnich @ 2005-02-28  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 geoff@collyer.net wrote:

> Plus the screen really is just too tiny to do anything serious.

I wanted to fill a backpack with them, who cares about the screen.

Oh well, I'm trying one of these now:
http://www.embeddedx86.com/epc/ts7200-spec-h.html

ron

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-28  9:26         ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2005-02-28  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A plain PC with 4 IDE disks.
Runs fine.

> Would you mind telling me what hardware you've got for the venti+fossil
> fileserver?

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                     ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-02-28 13:34   ` Axel Belinfante
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2005-02-28 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

at work (plan9.cs.utwente.nl),
three old 333Mhz machines for
  kenfs,
  auth/kfs/secstore/consolefs, runs venti (venti not much used yet)
  cpu/web server/tcp trampoline for kenfs/terminal (music, sokoban) and
	 (not used much more) coffee availability monitor
	   (plan 9 incarnation of http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~slurp/).
	 it has a removable disk with fossil for music -
	 more music from various local disks via u9fs.
	 to listen to music I drawterm in from the sun on my desk,
	 I get sound bytes via drawterm to a wrapper program
	 that passes them on to the sun /dev/audio
a laptop that occasionally boots plan 9 and takes root
  either from local kfs or from kenfs (via wavelan, until
  real-soon-now the current relative open accces is closed,
  then 802.1X will be the only way to get in :-( )
an ultra1 that has succeded to boot a ramdisk-only version
  of newsham's work over the net, but, to be useful, needs
  ``port'' of the 2ed lance ethernet driver to 4ed.

at home another laptop, a bitsy, and several pc's that
can boot plan 9. one of them I used for a while as home
music machine with only a kernel locally, taking root fs
and music via cable modem from work (over aan(8)).
(still waiting for that very-affordable no-moving-parts
 low-power-consumption (to have always on), and/or
 quickly-booting little machine to use as cpu/juke/terminal
 at home...)

Axel.

@ 2005-02-28 17:04     ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2005-02-28 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

A bit late in adding my setup.  Just been made redundant, so I'll
actually have more time to play with Plan 9 for a while, woohoo!

Running a 9pccpuf serving venti, fossil and auth on a Dell P3 233MHz
with 128MB RAM and two 40GB IDE disks raided using fs(3).  This
machine also deals with my email and serving web pages and wiki and
such.

Also running a terminal booted over ether on a Noname 180ish Mhz
machine with 96MB of RAM.

I used to use drawterm from work a lot.

Robby

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-02-28 21:31         ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2005-02-28 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Sickel; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Tyan S1837UANGL mobo (ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s1837l_110.pdf)
2x P3 800MHz
512M memory

2 Promise Ultra100TX controllers

6 250G ATA100 western digital drives for venti arenas
2 40G ATA100 western digital drives for venti index
1 80G ATA100 western digital drive for fossil

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 08:04:01PM -0600, Jeff Sickel wrote:
> Would you mind telling me what hardware you've got for the venti+fossil
> fileserver?
>
> I've budgeted for a new hardware purchase and want to make sure I'm
> lining up with something that runs venti well.
>
> jas
>
> On Feb 26, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Christopher Nielsen wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:05:15AM +0900, Vester Thacker wrote:

> >>1. Brantley
> >>2. Vester Thacker
> >>3. YAMANASHI Takeshi
> >4. Christopher Nielsen (.75TB venti+fossil fileserver, cpu servers,
> >thinkpad terminal)
> >
> >--
> >Christopher Nielsen
> >"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary
> >safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                     ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-01 12:02   ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2005-03-01 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

Late, but I'm running native Plan9 Systems.  Dual proccessor
CPU/Fileserver, terminals and a standalone Plan9 on shuttle pc as demo
system.  The plan9 fileserver is my main filestorage and mailserver.

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                     ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-01 13:35   ` Christian Grothaus
From: Christian Grothaus @ 2005-03-01 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

Although it's "brain dead", I use a Thinkpad R40 as a
standalone (and native) Plan 9 system with fossil/venti.
(Thanks for the radeon driver to Philippe Anel and
Latchesar Ionkov at this place! BTW: Can't the driver
be included in the distribution? Many current laptops
use ATI Radeon chipsets these days...)

Christian

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-03-01 14:03     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-01 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Grothaus, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Although it's "brain dead", I use a Thinkpad R40 as a
> standalone (and native) Plan 9 system with fossil/venti.
> (Thanks for the radeon driver to Philippe Anel and
> Latchesar Ionkov at this place! BTW: Can't the driver
> be included in the distribution? Many current laptops
> use ATI Radeon chipsets these days...)

If someone submits it as a patch, we will include it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-03-01 14:33       ` fgergo
From: fgergo @ 2005-03-01 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:03:30 -0500, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Although it's "brain dead", I use a Thinkpad R40 as a
> > standalone (and native) Plan 9 system with fossil/venti.
> > (Thanks for the radeon driver to Philippe Anel and
> > Latchesar Ionkov at this place! BTW: Can't the driver
> > be included in the distribution? Many current laptops
> > use ATI Radeon chipsets these days...)
>
> If someone submits it as a patch, we will include it.
>
> Russ

I don't seem to find the email, but AFAIK there were some license
issues with the drivers.
(Though I'd be happy to have them in the distribution, since my laptop
has a radeon mobility 7500 as well. It's working flawlessly in sxga+.)

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-03-01 15:14         ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2005-03-01 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fgergo, 9fans

On Tue Mar  1 09:34:17 EST 2005, fgergo@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:03:30 -0500, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Although it's "brain dead", I use a Thinkpad R40 as a
> > > standalone (and native) Plan 9 system with fossil/venti.
> > > (Thanks for the radeon driver to Philippe Anel and
> > > Latchesar Ionkov at this place! BTW: Can't the driver
> > > be included in the distribution? Many current laptops
> > > use ATI Radeon chipsets these days...)
> >
> > If someone submits it as a patch, we will include it.
> >
> > Russ
>
> I don't seem to find the email, but AFAIK there were some license
> issues with the drivers.
> (Though I'd be happy to have them in the distribution, since my laptop
> has a radeon mobility 7500 as well. It's working flawlessly in sxga+.)

I don't think the licence issues are any different than those
for the NVidia driver.

However, someone did submit it as a patch last year. It didn't
work on the Radeon I have (either a 9200 or 9600) with DVI output
and I said then I'd include it when that worked.

--jim

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
                     ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-03-01 18:15   ` Jason Gurtz
From: Jason Gurtz @ 2005-03-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/26/2005 08:37, Brantley Coile wrote:
> Just for the record, how many people are still running native systems?

One standalone T21 Thinkpad.

~Jason

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-03-01 23:24     ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2005-03-01 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-03-01 23:44       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2005-03-01 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Reinstalling a native plan 9 box now actually.  Setting it up with
venti and fossil.

It's a PC with an Nvidia Nforce2 motherboard.

At boot time I get complaints about the South Bridge not being recognized
10DE:01E0

But apart from that it runs quite well. :)

Dave

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-03-02  0:01         ` bs
From: bs @ 2005-03-02  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have seen this message. Not to worry :)

Used to be:
Multiboot P9 along with Linux/Windows on P4 1.6/ 512 Mb/ Tekram SCSI

Now:
T21 with VMWare and 384 Mb

@ 2005-03-03 17:07           ` Abhey Shah
From: Abhey Shah @ 2005-03-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

We have a pII based auth server/gateway(and part time file) server with
two ethernet cards and a pIII cpu server. To access them i either use
drawterm, vnc or a  terminal thats connected to their own private
network.
We've also got a  dual processor tyan tiger MP that is currently
booted into linux ( but works fine in plan 9).

The recent updates seem to have affected the auth servers' second
ethernet stack , doing  ip/ipconfig -x /net.alt -g 192.168.0.0.
/net.alt/ether1 add  192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 returns with a
ip/config: no ip stack bound onto /net.alt and of course nothing comes
up in the /net.alt folder. It used to work fine, any ideas how to fix
this problem gratefully received!

thanks

Abhey

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-03-03 18:10             ` Abhey Shah
From: Abhey Shah @ 2005-03-03 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Really stupid mistake below (but just in case anybody else does it
probably worth mentioning) had two #l1 (thats an L) instead of a #l and
#I in my namespace file.
Oh well, should really change font in acme, any suggestions?

Abhey

@ 2005-03-03 18:19               ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-03-03 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Really stupid mistake below (but just in case anybody else does it
> probably worth mentioning) had two #l1 (thats an L) instead of a #l and
> #I in my namespace file.
> Oh well, should really change font in acme, any suggestions?
>
> Abhey

try the 10646 fonts:

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/fonts/7x13.png

here's how Ii1l look like:

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/screenshots/Il1i.jpg

andrey

* Re: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-03-03 18:29                 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-03 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> try the 10646 fonts:

no need to work in an ugly font all the time.
just b2 Font when you're worried.  the ether
driver is literally the only instance i can think
of where it happens.

* Fwd: [9fans] some recent updates
@ 2005-05-04 21:02           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-05-04 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sorry for the repost.  boyd's memory is a bit short.