* Re: [9fans] Patch notification emails
@ 2005-09-05  1:49 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2005-09-05  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > http://angband.tip9ug.jp/magic/histgw/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/tcs/utf.c
> > (see the [none] and [rsc] at the end of different changes)
> This is because they are copying sources themselves,

Yes.  Actually, a user which is not listed in the /adm/users on
the sources is doing replica/pull.  Therefore, muids of updated
files are always [none].

Is there a way to preserve muid on doing replica/pull?  Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Patch notification emails
@ 2005-09-05  2:32 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-09-05  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Yes.  Actually, a user which is not listed in the /adm/users on
> the sources is doing replica/pull.  Therefore, muids of updated
> files are always [none].
>
> Is there a way to preserve muid on doing replica/pull?  Thanks.
> --

Sorry, you can't lie about muid.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Patch notification emails
@ 2005-09-05  1:15         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-09-05  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Sorry, I was looking at
> http://angband.tip9ug.jp/magic/histgw/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/tcs/utf.c
> (see the [none] and [rsc] at the end of different changes)

This is because they are copying sources themselves,
so they don't preserve the muid information.

> Maybe it's a bug in histgw, I still have to ask nashi for the source and
> take a look, but I don't think I will have time for that at least until
> next week.
>
> "glenda" isn't very useful either, but well, this is just a very

Glenda is just the owner.  You shouldn't see any changes by
glenda on sources (you may on copies, for the reason above).
If you see muid of glenda on sources, please let me know.
(It would indicate a misconfiguration somewhere.)

> P.S.: It's just me, or sources is extremely slow?

I think it's you.  Sources has been fine for me.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Patch notification emails
@ 2005-09-04 13:09       ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2005-09-04 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 08:59:29AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> Even the ones that result from applying a patch
> often are not verbatim copies of what was in the patch.
> I probably edit at least half of the incoming patch code
> after applying it and before pushing it to sources.
I know that, but I don't think there is much I can do about it, maybe
you could edit the patch itself before applying it?

This was one of the main reasons why I gave up on creating a patch
tracking system that keep track of both sources changes and patches, as
I found it impossible to find a sane way to merge both streams of
changes while preserving things like patch(1) comments.

> What makes you think that changes to sources are
> being done as none?
Sorry, I was looking at
http://angband.tip9ug.jp/magic/histgw/n/sources/plan9/sys/src/cmd/tcs/utf.c
(see the [none] and [rsc] at the end of different changes)

Maybe it's a bug in histgw, I still have to ask nashi for the source and
take a look, but I don't think I will have time for that at least until
next week.

"glenda" isn't very useful either, but well, this is just a very
insignificant detail, having comments associated with the changes would
be much more useful IMHO but we have already discussed this and I guess
it just wont happen.

uriel

@ 2005-09-04 12:59     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-09-04 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found] ` <ee9e417a05090405316c2f7bab@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-09-04 12:39   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2005-09-04 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 08:31:03AM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
> > - Maybe integrate with the path(1) scripts, that would fix some races
> >   and simplify things
>
> what is path(1)?
Sorry, I can't spell, I mean patch(1) obviously.

On another note, just be clear, this doesn't include any changes made
directly to sources(which seem to be the majority this days), because
those include no comments or author(BTW, any chances of at least having
people do changes to sources as something else than 'none'?) and it's
harder to keep track of what changes belong together, or which ones
aren't just result of applying a patch(1).

If I have time I might adapt something like http://www.tip9ug.jp/rlog/
to send emails to a plan9-commits list, but I don't' think it's worth
sending those to 9fans because the content would be much more 'raw'.

uriel

* [9fans] Patch notification emails
@ 2005-09-04 12:14 Uriel
       [not found] ` <ee9e417a05090405316c2f7bab@mail.gmail.com>
From: Uriel @ 2005-09-04 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Due to popular demand, I have setup my plog script to send emails about
new patch(1)es to 9fans, the number of patches seems low enough that I
don't think it will be a problem for anyone and in any case the emails
are easy to filter out. If the volume of patches grows a lot I will setup
a separated list for them.

I think it's good to allow discussion based on the patches so people can
comment about them in 9fans instead of all discussion happening in
almost-private in comments in /n/sources/patch/* notes which are
difficult(if not impossible) to keep track of.

Emails are only generated for patches that have been 'processed'(ie.,
accepted, saved, or 'sorry').

The source for plog can be found in /n/sources/contrib/uriel/plog

Any comments, suggestions and improvements are appreciated.

uriel

P.S.: Here is my TODO list:
- Keep a wiki page with a record of patches, this would work better once
  we have a web interface for sources so it can link to the diffs and
  files inside the patch
- Maybe better handling of new files