* Re: [9fans] Using TrueType fonts
@ 2002-06-17  9:34 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-06-17  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's not a font server, just a converter to subfonts.
even at that it's a bit simplistic.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2311 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Using TrueType fonts
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:13:54 GMT

forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote in message news:<c1cac0deddfb260d3ba1e975d58fa666@caldo.demon.co.uk>...
> i've got a freetype 1 port that might help, but the licence under
> which you obtained that .ttf file almost certainly allows its use only
> under windows, so there's not much point in converting it, unless you
> were planning to licence the typeface yourself for use on Plan 9 (but
> they often come from monobrained Monotype, so good luck).
>
> --

Where can I find this freetype port? Assume I will only use it with
fonts I have permission to use ;) .

How does freetype fit into rio anyway? The 8 paper says no font
server exists, is this different in rio?

Joel

* Re: [9fans] Using TrueType fonts
@ 2002-06-17  9:19 ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2002-06-17  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forsyth@caldo.demon.co.uk wrote in message news:<c1cac0deddfb260d3ba1e975d58fa666@caldo.demon.co.uk>...
> i've got a freetype 1 port that might help, but the licence under
> which you obtained that .ttf file almost certainly allows its use only
> under windows, so there's not much point in converting it, unless you
> were planning to licence the typeface yourself for use on Plan 9 (but
> they often come from monobrained Monotype, so good luck).

Where can I get this freetype port? (Assume I will only use it for
fonts I have permission to use ;)

How does freetype integrate with rio? The 8� paper says that no font
server is used, is this different for rio?

Joel

* Re: [9fans] Using TrueType fonts
@ 2002-06-17  9:13 ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2002-06-17  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-13 10:39 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-06-13 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've got a freetype 1 port that might help, but the licence under
which you obtained that .ttf file almost certainly allows its use only
under windows, so there's not much point in converting it, unless you
were planning to licence the typeface yourself for use on Plan 9 (but
they often come from monobrained Monotype, so good luck).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2008 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Using TrueType fonts
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:29:56 GMT

I downloaded arialuni.ttf from Microsloth's web site (
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/aruniupd.aspx ) for use on
windows. Arial Unicode MS is a BIG 11 MB download, & claims to include
every one of the 40000 characters in Unicode 2.1 .
Is there some way to convert this font (at a specific size & weight,
of course) to font(6) format? I find it difficult to believe that all
Plan9 fonts were created using the horrid tweak utility.
Joel

* [9fans] Using TrueType fonts
@ 2002-06-13  9:29 Joel Salomon