* [9fans] Acme column layout box and buttons
@ 2009-04-27 11:51 Balwinder S Dheeman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2009-04-27 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

Acme likes to place new windows itself. If you prefer to change the
layout of a window, you only need to drag the /layout box/ at the left
of the tag line and drop it somewhere else. The point where you drop it
selects the column where the window is to be placed now, as well as the
line where the window should start. You can also click the layout box to
enlarge its window a small amount (button 1), as much as possible
without obscuring other tag lines in the column (button 2), and to fill
the whole column vertically (button 3). You can get your other windows
back by clicking either button-1 or button-2 on the window layout box.

That's a lot of good actions attached to all the three buttons for
handling vertical layouts. How about adding similar actions to all the
three buttons for managing horizontal layouts to a column /layout box/.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman        Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe)        Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

* Re: [9fans] Acme column layout box and buttons
@ 2009-04-27 12:00 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-04-27 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That's a lot of good actions attached to all the three buttons for
> handling vertical layouts. How about adding similar actions to all the
> three buttons for managing horizontal layouts to a column /layout box/.

good idea.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Acme column layout box and buttons
@ 2009-04-27 12:48 ` yy
From: yy @ 2009-04-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/4/27 Balwinder S Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net>:
> That's a lot of good actions attached to all the three buttons for
> handling vertical layouts. How about adding similar actions to all the
> three buttons for managing horizontal layouts to a column /layout box/.

I had a patched version of acme to do this. It is not such a trivial
thing as it looks like, but it is not difficult. However, it doesn't
work so good in practice as in theory. I found disturbing that after
pressing the right button the column was moved to the first place, and
doing it without moving the column was a mess because of the mouse
events (at the end I think I just moved the column to the first place
and then back to its previous position). Other problem I had was that
I didn't have very clear what to do with the middle button (taking the
maximum space and having small columns is not a practical thing). On
the other hands, growing columns with the left button is an easier
thing (once you decide all your heuristics).
Anyway, it was my first look into acme code and there probably are
better ways to do it.
What did you have in mind?

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] Acme column layout box and buttons
@ 2009-04-27 13:23 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2009-04-27 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Seems logical, but I personally never felt a need for this.
To prevent line breaks I normally end up moving the windows to an
other, bigger column...

@ 2009-04-28  9:19   ` Balwinder S Dheeman
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2009-04-28  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 04/27/2009 06:23 PM, yy wrote:
> 2009/4/27 Balwinder S Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM@cto.homelinux.net>:
>> That's a lot of good actions attached to all the three buttons for
>> handling vertical layouts. How about adding similar actions to all the
>> three buttons for managing horizontal layouts to a column /layout box/.
>>

> I had a patched version of acme to do this. It is not such a trivial
> thing as it looks like, but it is not difficult. However, it doesn't
> work so good in practice as in theory. I found disturbing that after
> pressing the right button the column was moved to the first place, and
> doing it without moving the column was a mess because of the mouse
> events (at the end I think I just moved the column to the first place
> and then back to its previous position). Other problem I had was that
> I didn't have very clear what to do with the middle button (taking the
> maximum space and having small columns is not a practical thing). On
> the other hands, growing columns with the left button is an easier
> thing (once you decide all your heuristics).

That's what I wished. Perhaps, it the heuristics which seems to harder
and taken care of. Let us wait for a few more responses and, or ideas.

> Anyway, it was my first look into acme code and there probably are
> better ways to do it.
> What did you have in mind?

While editing code and, or other documents, I think, one mostly need to
concentrate more on content or the column containing body of the code or
text, hence maximizing a column with a single click seems in-line with
the philosophy behind Acme. Whereas, Acme with the help of appropriate
heuristics can open new window for related +Errors etcetera when needed
in bottom half or quarter of the same column.

Same is true for columns containing directory listings where one is
looking for a file or directory. IMHO, better open the file in a new or
other hidden column and un-hide it on a right click on file. Whereas,
the the directories can be opened in bottom half of the same column.

I think and hope that this or similar kinds of actions attached to all
the three buttons for columns or horizontal layout management will
improve the productivity of Acme users.