* [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-09-18  6:01 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-09-18  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

today i tried a plan9 image on an eval version of workstation 6.  that
image had been running on vmware workstation 4.5 and i believe i also
verified it on version 5.  after rio starts, display stays black - the
first time i waited thinking it was still booting; however,
right-clicking brings up rio's menu, though only the current item is
visible.  any ideas?

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-09-18  9:01 ` Enrique Soriano
From: Enrique Soriano @ 2007-09-18  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try disabling the vga hw acceleration. I had some
problems with it and vmware.

@ 2007-09-18 14:17   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-09-18 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Try disabling the vga hw acceleration. I had some
> problems with it and vmware.

thank you steve and esoriano. i had tried that first but apparently
i mistyped it. your reaffirmation and a few hours of sleep made
all the difference.

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-10-23 22:23     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-10-23 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/18/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

> > Try disabling the vga hw acceleration. I had some
> > problems with it and vmware.
>
> thank you steve and esoriano. i had tried that first but apparently
> i mistyped it. your reaffirmation and a few hours of sleep made
> all the difference.

I'm running VMWare Fusion on a Mac, my hardware acceleration in VMWare is
off, but I still get the problem with black screen and weird Rio behavior.

Is there a Plan 9 option to try here?

Dave

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-10-25  7:04       ` Jeff Sickel
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2007-10-25  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Oct 23, 2007, at 5:23 PM, David Leimbach wrote:

> On 9/18/07, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Try disabling the vga hw acceleration. I had some
>>> problems with it and vmware.
>>
>> thank you steve and esoriano. i had tried that first but apparently
>> i mistyped it. your reaffirmation and a few hours of sleep made
>> all the difference.
>>

> I'm running VMWare Fusion on a Mac, my hardware acceleration in
> VMWare is
> off, but I still get the problem with black screen and weird Rio
> behavior.
>
> Is there a Plan 9 option to try here?

I got the install to work by forcing in the hwaccel off.  But then
logging in as glenda to start setting things up just didn't get far
enough to force in hwaccel off again.

I'd like to know if anyone has had any success with VMware ESX
Server?  Yes yes... same old problem as all VMware kit, but when you
can't get any other vm's in house you do with what you can.

And speaking of vm's... has anyone gotten qemu to work on OS X?  It
installs very nicely but then there aren't any options for getting a
middle button w/ key-click combinations--very difficult when running
on a laptop.

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-10-25  8:03         ` Enrique Soriano
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Enrique Soriano @ 2007-10-25  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

El Oct 25, 2007, a las 9:04 AM, Jeff Sickel escribió:

> And speaking of vm's... has anyone gotten qemu to work on OS X?  It
> installs very nicely but then there aren't any options for getting
> a middle button w/ key-click combinations--very difficult when
> running on a laptop.

I am currently using  Q (http://www.kju-app.org/kju/).
It's slower than parallels, but it's fast enough for Plan 9.

You can use the mouse-fn keymap in order to use function keys
(f1, f2, f3) as mouse buttons, just do

cp /sys/lib/kbmap/mouse-fn /dev/kbmap

regards,
q.

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-10-25 13:36         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-10-25 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/25/07, Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> wrote:

> >> thank you steve and esoriano. i had tried that first but apparently
> >> i mistyped it. your reaffirmation and a few hours of sleep made
> >> all the difference.
> >>

> > I'm running VMWare Fusion on a Mac, my hardware acceleration in
> > VMWare is
> > off, but I still get the problem with black screen and weird Rio
> > behavior.
> >
> > Is there a Plan 9 option to try here?
>
> I got the install to work by forcing in the hwaccel off.  But then
> logging in as glenda to start setting things up just didn't get far
> enough to force in hwaccel off again.

I got that far too.  With IDE and SCSI, Venti seems to hang there.  Did you
use fossil+venti or just fossil?

Had to manually screw up the monitor settings to get the opportunity to turn
off hwaccel though.  I wish this were a boot option in the install mode :-).

Also aux/vmware doesn't work on Fusion.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-10-25 13:44           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-10-25 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/25/07, Enrique Soriano <esoriano@lsub.org> wrote:

> El Oct 25, 2007, a las 9:04 AM, Jeff Sickel escribió:
>
> > And speaking of vm's... has anyone gotten qemu to work on OS X?  It
> > installs very nicely but then there aren't any options for getting
> > a middle button w/ key-click combinations--very difficult when
> > running on a laptop.
>
> I am currently using  Q (http://www.kju-app.org/kju/).
> It's slower than parallels, but it's fast enough for Plan 9.

Q was very nice the last time I used it :-)

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-10-25 18:18         ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2007-10-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I got the install to work by forcing in the hwaccel off.  But then logging in
> as glenda to start setting things up just didn't get far enough to force in
> hwaccel off again.

Remove the CDROM device from your VM after you install (I think it works
if you change it to SCSI too, but I usually just delete it).  That
will eliminate the hang that happens after you log in and before the
windowing system comes up.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
@ 2007-10-25 20:46           ` don bailey
From: don bailey @ 2007-10-25 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] vmware workstation 6
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-11-04  0:21         ` Adrian John Fidel Tritschler
From: Adrian John Fidel Tritschler @ 2007-11-04  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Jeff Sickel <jas@corpus-callosum.com> writes:

>>> thank you steve and esoriano. i had tried that first but apparently
>>> i mistyped it. your reaffirmation and a few hours of sleep made all
>>> the difference.

>> I'm running VMWare Fusion on a Mac, my hardware acceleration in
>> VMWare is off, but I still get the problem with black screen and
>> weird Rio behavior.

>> Is there a Plan 9 option to try here?

> I got the install to work by forcing in the hwaccel off.  But then
> logging in as glenda to start setting things up just didn't get far
> enough to force in hwaccel off again.
>
> I'd like to know if anyone has had any success with VMware ESX Server?
> Yes yes... same old problem as all VMware kit, but when you  can't get
> any other vm's in house you do with what you can.

I've had a brief attempt to install on a minimal guest VM under ESX 3
host; 512M RAM/2G vmfs allocated.  Booting off the install CD download
on 29-Oct-2007 I only get this far:

PBS1...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0A00
apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=40 di=ffff ebx=5651 esi=-1
non-disk device 0x0 of type 1
bios0: drive 0x80: 2146798080 bytes, type 3
biosinit: sorry, only one bios drive; can't read last one
dev A0 port 1F0 config 85C4 capabilities 0f00 mwdma 0007 udma 0407
found partition sdC0!cdboot; 49952+1440
sectread: bios failed ot read 512 @ sector 1073741822 of 0x80
using sdC0!cdboot!plan9.ini
.FLAGS=10286 TRAP=e ECODE=2 PC-80017bfa
  AX 8cf001ed  BX 80036915  CX 800446bc  DX 0000003d
  SI 00000000  DI 80001373  BP 80001250
  CS 0010 DS 0008  ES 0008  FS 0008  GS 0008
  CR0 800000011 CR2 8cf001ed CR3 0000c0000
panic: exception/interrupt 14

> And speaking of vm's... has anyone gotten qemu to work on OS X?  It
> installs very nicely but then there aren't any options for getting a
> middle button w/ key-click combinations--very difficult when running
> on a laptop.

  Adrian