* Re: [9fans] PPPoE
@ 2002-04-11 12:03 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-04-11 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You should have been able to specify a lower mtu for the pppoe link
using the -m option.  We choose a TCP MSS that will make the TCP
segment size fit the mtu of the underlying medium.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2592 bytes --]

From: Zoltan Jarai <jarai@mail.tvnet.hu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] PPPoE
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:43:47 GMT

I had to make the following modifications to Russ Cox's pppoe.c to get
it work with my ADSL provider (TVnet) here in Hungary.  TVnet does not
use PPP framing, so I did not need the -F (nor -f) option.  The buf[0]
at the end is a correction of a typo in the hexdump routine, useful
when debugging.

diff pppoe-orig.c pppoe.c
236c236
< 	char e[ERRMAX], path[64];
---
> 	char e[ERRLEN], path[64];
239c239
< 		rerrstr(e, sizeof e);
---
> 		errstr(e);
511d510
< 	argv[argc++] = "-F";
687a687
> 			buf[0] = '\0';

Still, I had problems viewing web pages and connecting to FTP sites.
So I checked out Roaring Penguin's PPPoE client for Linux.  As they
explain it (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/als-pppoe-paper.pdf
section 4.5) they modify the MSS value in the TCP header of packets.
First, I tried to implement their trick (see among their sources
rp-pppoe-3.3/src/common.c:/^clampMSS) but I did not succeed, not
surprisingly, since I know next to nothing about TCP.  But then
lowering the default MSS to 1412 (value suggested by them) in the
kernel (/sys/src/9/ip/tcp.c:/DEF_MSS) helped.

Hope this helps.

Zoltan

* Re: [9fans] PPPoE
@ 2002-04-12  0:09 ` Zoltan Jarai
From: Zoltan Jarai @ 2002-04-12  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You should have been able to specify a lower mtu for the pppoe link
> using the -m option.  We choose a TCP MSS that will make the TCP
> segment size fit the mtu of the underlying medium.

I tried that, that is, to modify pppoe.c so that it invokes ip/ppp
with a lower MTU value (-m option) but it did not work.  My ignorance
is too big to be able to answer why.

Zoltan

* Re: [9fans] PPPoE
@ 2002-04-11 13:02 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-04-11 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

My mistake, the mtu option only exists in ppp, not pppoe.  I'll
add one.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4282 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 185 bytes --]

You should have been able to specify a lower mtu for the pppoe link
using the -m option.  We choose a TCP MSS that will make the TCP
segment size fit the mtu of the underlying medium.

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2592 bytes --]

From: Zoltan Jarai <jarai@mail.tvnet.hu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:43:47 GMT

I had to make the following modifications to Russ Cox's pppoe.c to get
it work with my ADSL provider (TVnet) here in Hungary.  TVnet does not
use PPP framing, so I did not need the -F (nor -f) option.  The buf[0]
at the end is a correction of a typo in the hexdump routine, useful
when debugging.

diff pppoe-orig.c pppoe.c
236c236
< 	char e[ERRMAX], path[64];
---
> 	char e[ERRLEN], path[64];
239c239
< 		rerrstr(e, sizeof e);
---
> 		errstr(e);
511d510
< 	argv[argc++] = "-F";
687a687
> 			buf[0] = '\0';

Still, I had problems viewing web pages and connecting to FTP sites.
So I checked out Roaring Penguin's PPPoE client for Linux.  As they
explain it (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/als-pppoe-paper.pdf
section 4.5) they modify the MSS value in the TCP header of packets.
First, I tried to implement their trick (see among their sources
rp-pppoe-3.3/src/common.c:/^clampMSS) but I did not succeed, not
surprisingly, since I know next to nothing about TCP.  But then
lowering the default MSS to 1412 (value suggested by them) in the
kernel (/sys/src/9/ip/tcp.c:/DEF_MSS) helped.

Hope this helps.

Zoltan

* [9fans] PPPoE
@ 2002-04-11  8:43 Zoltan Jarai
From: Zoltan Jarai @ 2002-04-11  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had to make the following modifications to Russ Cox's pppoe.c to get
it work with my ADSL provider (TVnet) here in Hungary.  TVnet does not
use PPP framing, so I did not need the -F (nor -f) option.  The buf[0]
at the end is a correction of a typo in the hexdump routine, useful
when debugging.

diff pppoe-orig.c pppoe.c
236c236
< 	char e[ERRMAX], path[64];