* [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-26  1:35 tammy turner
From: tammy turner @ 2010-04-26  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi I recently downloaded plan 9 (last thursday) and when I attempted install I had 3 sets of windows side by side and could not read the set up instructions (questions) attempting to scroll left or right would not work. I tried several times to install with no luck. Whats going on ? If anyone can shed light on this, I would like to complete my install.
                                                  Thanks Tammyt

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-26  9:24 ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2010-04-26  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 2:35 AM, tammy turner <tammyt@windstream.net> wrote:

>  Hi I recently downloaded plan 9 (last thursday) and when I attempted
> install I had 3 sets of windows side by side and could not read the set up
> instructions (questions) attempting to scroll left or right would not work.
> I tried several times to install with no luck. Whats going on ? If anyone
> can shed light on this, I would like to complete my install.
>                                                   Thanks Tammyt

This sounds like your video setting is not quite correct. I am assuming you
essentially got a third of the screen triplicated across your display. I saw
something like that with installing onto VMWare a long while back.

You can try and set the video to be VESA, monitor=vesa in the plan9.ini
file, I think. Haven't looked at that in ages. But maybe someone else on the
list can point out more details.

Robby

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-27  8:42 ` Bill Marcum
From: Bill Marcum @ 2010-04-27  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2010-04-26, tammy turner <tammyt@windstream.net> wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01CAE4BF.3A826130
>
> Hi I recently downloaded plan 9 (last thursday) and when I attempted =
> install I had 3 sets of windows side by side and could not read the set =
> up instructions (questions) attempting to scroll left or right would not =
> work. I tried several times to install with no luck. Whats going on ? If =
> anyone can shed light on this, I would like to complete my install.
>                                                   Thanks Tammyt

The three windows side by side are the display of the program "acme".
You can place the mouse pointer in the middle window and use the page-up
and page-down keys. Or put the mouse pointer in the scrollbar on the
left. The scrollbar works like very old versions of xterm; button 1
scrolls up, 3 scrolls down, or you can drag the slider with button 2. If
you have a 2-button mouse, try shift-button1.

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-27 13:08   ` Karljurgen Feuerherm
From: Karljurgen Feuerherm @ 2010-04-27 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm curious about the 3-button mouse... (haven't seen one for a long while, but seems like it might be worth getting one.)

are there restrictions on it? i.e. should not be USB, or whatnot? any other details one should know?

(I'm in a similar position to our friend Bill, here. Still working on a clean installation.)

thanks

@ 2010-04-27 14:20     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-27 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Apr 27 09:13:53 EDT 2010, kfeuerherm@wlu.ca wrote:
> I'm curious about the 3-button mouse... (haven't seen one for a long while, but seems like it might be worth getting one.)
>
> are there restrictions on it? i.e. should not be USB, or whatnot? any other details one should know?
>
> (I'm in a similar position to our friend Bill, here. Still working on a clean installation.)

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=31P7405&current-category-id=E6480EC4EE7D42A79F5F1C0940B163AB&&hide_menu_area=yes

- erik

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-27 15:10       ` Karljurgen Feuerherm
From: Karljurgen Feuerherm @ 2010-04-27 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank-you. (And here I thought I'd spare you by asking the list for a change!) Much appreciated, as always.

>>> erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com> 27/04/2010 10:20:41 am >>>
On Tue Apr 27 09:13:53 EDT 2010, kfeuerherm@wlu.ca wrote:
> I'm curious about the 3-button mouse... (haven't seen one for a long while, but seems like it might be worth getting one.)
>
> are there restrictions on it? i.e. should not be USB, or whatnot? any other details one should know?
>
> (I'm in a similar position to our friend Bill, here. Still working on a clean installation.)

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=31P7405&current-category-id=E6480EC4EE7D42A79F5F1C0940B163AB&&hide_menu_area=yes

- erik

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-27 22:54     ` Tim Newsham
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-04-27 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I'm curious about the 3-button mouse... (haven't seen one for a long
> while, but seems like it might be worth getting one.)

you might have seen one and not even known it.  Many mice
with a scroll wheel support pressing the scroll wheel as a 3rd
button.  its not nearly as pleasant as a real button, but it "works".

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-27 23:16       ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2010-04-27 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:
>> I'm curious about the 3-button mouse... (haven't seen one for a long
>> while, but seems like it might be worth getting one.)
>
> you might have seen one and not even known it.  Many mice
> with a scroll wheel support pressing the scroll wheel as a 3rd
> button.  its not nearly as pleasant as a real button, but it "works".

Using a clickable scroll wheel nearly cripples my fingers; have any
9fans tried this mouse?
http://www.amazon.com/3-Button-Optical-USB-Mouse-black/dp/B000FLUSEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

My netbook's trackpad is unacceptable for Plan 9 use, and since it
doesn't have a PS/2 port I can't plug in one of my old Logitechs.

John

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-27 23:22         ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2010-04-27 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2010/4/28 John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:
>>> I'm curious about the 3-button mouse... (haven't seen one for a long
>>> while, but seems like it might be worth getting one.)
>>
>> you might have seen one and not even known it.  Many mice
>> with a scroll wheel support pressing the scroll wheel as a 3rd
>> button.  its not nearly as pleasant as a real button, but it "works".
>>

> Using a clickable scroll wheel nearly cripples my fingers; have any
> 9fans tried this mouse?
> http://www.amazon.com/3-Button-Optical-USB-Mouse-black/dp/B000FLUSEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
>
> My netbook's trackpad is unacceptable for Plan 9 use, and since it
> doesn't have a PS/2 port I can't plug in one of my old Logitechs.

I've been using http://www.thehumansolution.com/evoluent.html
recently, and I do love it.

--dho

> John

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-27 23:48           ` Patrick Kelly
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-04-27 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

> > My netbook's trackpad is unacceptable for Plan 9 use, and since it
> > doesn't have a PS/2 port I can't plug in one of my old Logitechs.
>
> I've been using http://www.thehumansolution.com/evoluent.html
> recently, and I do love it.

How the hell is a shape patentable?

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28  0:02       ` Karljurgen Feuerherm
From: Karljurgen Feuerherm @ 2010-04-28  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Could be. Had a 3-button mouse long ago...

Anyway, no matter. Have ordered one now.

Thanks to all!

@ 2010-04-28  0:38             ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-04-28  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Patrick Kelly

off-topic...

> How the hell is a shape patentable?

Easy.  Just like when I used to clip a playing card to a bicycle frame with a
clothespin to make noise.  This was apparently finally patented in 2000 --
Sound generating device for spoked wheel (US Patent 6039338 issued 03/21/2000)

I'm digging around the the Australian patent for the spoked wheel (which I
think came out in 2000).  Sorry I did not book mark it when I found it.

Or how about IBM's patent application for Outsourcing of Services (see
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/29/1734209)

There are some REALLY BAD patents out there...

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 11:59       ` jake
From: jake @ 2010-04-28 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> you might have seen one and not even known it.  Many mice
> with a scroll wheel support pressing the scroll wheel as a 3rd
> button.  its not nearly as pleasant as a real button, but it "works".

Sorry for the nitpicking, but isn't the scroll wheel usually button 2?
It has been on all of my mice.

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 12:02             ` jake
From: jake @ 2010-04-28 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> > My netbook's trackpad is unacceptable for Plan 9 use, and since it
>> > doesn't have a PS/2 port I can't plug in one of my old Logitechs.
>>
>> I've been using http://www.thehumansolution.com/evoluent.html
>> recently, and I do love it.
>
> How the hell is a shape patentable?
This is America, anything is patentable.

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 12:07               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-28 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > How the hell is a shape patentable?
> This is America, anything is patentable.

and this is 9fans, not slashdot, which is three doors
down and on the right.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 13:26         ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2010-04-28 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 28 Apr 2010, at 00:16, John Floren wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Tim Newsham <newsham@lava.net> wrote:
>>> I'm curious about the 3-button mouse... (haven't seen one for a long
>>> while, but seems like it might be worth getting one.)
>>
>> you might have seen one and not even known it.  Many mice
>> with a scroll wheel support pressing the scroll wheel as a 3rd
>> button.  its not nearly as pleasant as a real button, but it "works".
>>

> Using a clickable scroll wheel nearly cripples my fingers; have any
> 9fans tried this mouse?
> http://www.amazon.com/3-Button-Optical-USB-Mouse-black/dp/B000FLUSEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Some scroll wheels are all right and it's nice to have them. I use
this quite happily, although you wouldn't want to use it if you have
big fingers.
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=589

it's funny what mice are good and what are bad for plan 9.

--
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it. -- Alan Perlis

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 13:35             ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2010-04-28 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2010/4/28 Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@gmail.com>:
>> > My netbook's trackpad is unacceptable for Plan 9 use, and since it
>> > doesn't have a PS/2 port I can't plug in one of my old Logitechs.
>>
>> I've been using http://www.thehumansolution.com/evoluent.html
>> recently, and I do love it.
>
> How the hell is a shape patentable?

Things come in various shapes, and things can be patented, so there
you go. It's part of the patent.

In any case, it's not horribly expensive (compared to many other
ergonomic and other sorts of mice), has adjustable DPI, has 5 buttons
(7 if you count scroll up / down), and is very comfortable.

--dho

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 14:26               ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-04-28 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

I use a Bamboo Fun http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_fun.php on my Windows machine, and I love it.
There are Linux drivers for the entire Bamboo line, so I'm assuming there's an available specification, if you're feeling ambitions and want something more like your laptops track pad.

> > How the hell is a shape patentable?
>
> Things come in various shapes, and things can be patented, so there you go. It's part of the patent.

Still, shapes and lines are the basic components of art, and last time I checked the arts weren't patentable.

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 14:40                 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-04-28 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if you're feeling ambitions and want something more like your laptops track pad.

Surely you jest?  Something that repositions the cursor to an
uninteresting location in the middle of a document by simply hovering
one's thumb in the vicinity of the space bar?  Or am I just
particularly cursed with this?

++L

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 15:05                   ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2010-04-28 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 28 Apr 2010, at 15:40, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

>> if you're feeling ambitions and want something more like your
>> laptops track pad.
>
> Surely you jest?  Something that repositions the cursor to an
> uninteresting location in the middle of a document by simply hovering
> one's thumb in the vicinity of the space bar?  Or am I just
> particularly cursed with this?

I expect it's a trackpad quality kind of thing. On the ancient iBook I
have, in System Preferences there's a checkbox labelled "Prevent
accidental trackpad input." I don't know quite what it does or how it
does it, but it works very well for me.

--

@ 2010-04-28 15:08                   ` Patrick Kelly
From: Patrick Kelly @ 2010-04-28 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, 'Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs'

 > > if you're feeling ambitions and want something more like your laptops track pad.
>
> Surely you jest?  Something that repositions the cursor to an uninteresting location in the middle of a document by simply hovering
> one's thumb in the vicinity of the space bar?  Or am I just particularly cursed with this?

Well the Bamboo Touch, which is the smallest model, is 2-4 times larger than the track pads found on laptops.
It was just a suggestion.

Don't mice achieve the same uninteresting thing?

@ 2010-04-28 15:47                     ` Gary V. Vaughan
From: Gary V. Vaughan @ 2010-04-28 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: lucio

On 28 Apr 2010, at 22:05, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2010, at 15:40, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
>>> if you're feeling ambitions and want something more like your laptops track pad.
>>
>> Surely you jest?  Something that repositions the cursor to an
>> uninteresting location in the middle of a document by simply hovering
>> one's thumb in the vicinity of the space bar?  Or am I just
>> particularly cursed with this?
>
> I expect it's a trackpad quality kind of thing. On the ancient iBook I have, in System Preferences there's a checkbox labelled "Prevent accidental trackpad input." I don't know quite what it does or how it does it, but it works very well for me.

It did that simply by enforcing a minimum time (maybe around 1000ms) from the last key press before interpreting any input from the trackpad.  I found it quite annoying since my trackpad felt like it needed a sturdy poke to make it responsive again if I wanted to move the cursor around while editing something.

My MBP, and I believe all the newer Apple laptops, no longer offer that option, but they work all the better for it.  I don't know quite how it works in this incarnation, but I neither move my cursor accidentally nor feel like poking the trackpad until it comes back to life nowadays :)  Additionally the area is surprisingly large now that no space is devoted to a button, and the whole trackpad can be clicked.

Sadly, when I upgraded Parallels my Plan9 VM stopped booting, and I haven't bothered to try and get it going again since I mostly work with my laptop balanced on my lap so a physical mouse is not at all useful... and I haven't found a comfortable way of mousechording with an all-in-one trackpad/button :( Surely I'm not the only one that dislikes separate mice?

Cheers,
--
Gary V. Vaughan <gary@gnu.org>

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 16:19                       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-04-28 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I remember something which just looked at the size of the pressed area
to determine whether it is your palm or finger.

* Re: [9fans] three sets of windows
@ 2010-04-28 16:57                       ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2010-04-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can use keys as mouse buttons.
I still prefer a separate mouse but sometimes it is not an option.

-
Curiosity sKilled the cat

G.

@ 2010-04-28 17:57         ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-04-28 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Sorry for the nitpicking, but isn't the scroll wheel usually button 2?
> It has been on all of my mice.

Right, but left and right click are 1 and 3, no?

@ 2010-04-28 19:51           ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-04-28 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:57:51AM -1000, Tim Newsham wrote:
> Right, but left and right click are 1 and 3, no?

They are.

--
I am a man who does not exist for others.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 205 bytes --]

* [9fans] IL experiment
@ 2010-04-30 17:49       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-04-30 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Erik, I have a few syntax adjustments to /sys/src/9/ip/il.c that may
interest you, can I mail you the diffs from the version in
/n/sources/extra?

Also, it seems a one-line adjustment to /sys/src/cmd/ndb/cs.c suffices
to bring IL resolution back, I can mail you those diffs too.

In return, I've lost the call argument for telnet you posted recently,
do you mind repeating it?  I'd like to check that I have a working IL
implementation and I'm curious about my new Internet connection.  To
be honest, I expect it to suck, but it is fast and cheeaper than my
previous one.

++L

* Re: [9fans] IL experiment
@ 2010-04-30 17:56         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2010-04-30 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Erik, I have a few syntax adjustments...

Oops!  Apologies to all.

++L