* Re: [9fans] Identity
@ 2002-06-24 22:45 anothy
From: anothy @ 2002-06-24 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// my wife would like to know how Amidala managed to fit
// quite so many changes of clothing into one small suitcase.

the suitcase was a physical venti: similar portions of the
various garments were only stored once. since storage and
retrieval time of a suitcase is seldom much of an issue,
the venti could be configured with a very small block
size, resulting in substantial savings.

* Re: [9fans] Identity
@ 2002-07-08 10:47 ` Wladimir Mutel
From: Wladimir Mutel @ 2002-07-08 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> // my wife would like to know how Amidala managed to fit
> // quite so many changes of clothing into one small suitcase.

> the suitcase was a physical venti: similar portions of the
> various garments were only stored once. since storage and
> retrieval time of a suitcase is seldom much of an issue,
> the venti could be configured with a very small block
> size, resulting in substantial savings.

	How small ? Not less than the length of SHA1 hash, or else savings
	would not be substantial . :>

* Re: [9fans] Identity
@ 2002-06-24 19:16   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-06-24 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > No. All the clothes were plumbed together from small generic
> > pieces, following the pipe/plumber ideas.
>
> Or mix 'n' match as us primitive beings call it.
>
> Not having seen the recent spate of films, my understanding of the
> force is weak, but wouldn't she have just used the spare space in
> her spouse's case? More load balancing than compression I think.

But she has no spouse yet; that's the point of the pseudo condom
commercial in the middle of the movie, where she and the obnoxiously
reticent jedi-to-be go frollicking in the middle of a flower field.
This movie was so lame....  What can I say?  The love scenes nearly
made me puke, and who *elects* a Queen at the age of 17 or whatever?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Identity
@ 2002-06-24  9:50 ` Nigel Roles
From: Nigel Roles @ 2002-06-24  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-06-24  9:45 ` balajis
From: balajis @ 2002-06-24  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it seemed familiar... i was confusing Matt for Russ...

"rob pike, esq." wrote:

> Since rsc is incommunicado on another of his secret missions, this might
> be a safe time to mention that The Bourne Identity is none other than
> Russ Cox.
>
> -rob

* Re: [9fans] Identity
@ 2002-06-24  9:38 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2002-06-24  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No. All the clothes were plumbed together from small generic
pieces, following the pipe/plumber ideas.

* [9fans] Identity
@ 2002-06-24  9:35 Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2002-06-24  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> By the way, Star Wars sucked.

If you are referring to "Attack of the Clones", the members of my household
unanimously disagree, although since we are Macintosh users our opinion
probably doesn't count.

However, my wife would like to know how Amidala managed to fit quite so many
changes of clothing into one small suitcase. Is there a compression
algorithm in Plan 9 that could explain this?

* Re: [9fans] Identity
@ 2002-06-22 19:09 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2002-06-22 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Since rsc is incommunicado on another of his secret missions, this might
> be a safe time to mention that The Bourne Identity is none other than
> Russ Cox.

Funny, I thought it was Stephen Bourne.  Maybe Russ is really spiderman.
If so, I want some of that neat stuff he shoots out of his wrists.  By
the way, Star Wars sucked.

	- Dan C.

* [9fans] Identity
@ 2002-06-22 13:47 rob pike, esq.