From: LdBeth <andpuke@foxmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: ctrans - Chinese language input for Plan9
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:29:48 -0500	[thread overview]

SJ> andpuke@foxmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, 22 July 2022, at 2:09 PM, Silvan Jegen wrote:
>> > Ah, I didn't know that! I also don't know anyone who does office work
>> > in a place where traditional Chinese characters are used though ...
>>
>> They would use RIME, https://rime.im a free software widely
>> recognized among Chinese users who are not satisfied with default
>> Pinyin. But unfortunately that thing is written in C++ so making a
>> port is unliky.
SJ> Funnily enough I use Rime on my Linux machine to input Simplified
SJ> Chinese. I honestly just switched a Rime input setting to something that
SJ> looks like pinyin but the suggestions seem better to me than the old
SJ> IME that I used ... I should probably invest some time in understanding
SJ> how the thing actually is supposed to be used (documentation in English
SJ> seems sparse and my Chinese sucks).

RIME was popularized because most other Pinyin based IMEs on the
market suck for traditional Chinese input, for these IMEs' suggestion
dictionaries were usually directly substituted from simplified Chinese
versions, but mapping simplified Chinese to transitional Chinese is
very context sensitive. The byproduct of RIME is the OpenCC
https://github.com/BYVoid/OpenCC library that can handles all the
trivia of these kinds of translation.

The SC support for RIME was contributed by community, I think, and the
author of RIME uses Cangjie. Cangjie was not officially designed for
simplified Chinese but was extended to be able to handle that. I heard
rumors that the author refused to add a switch to prioritize
simplified Chinese characters for Cangjie in RIME, so an external
dictionary is used if users want to have that behavior.

---
LDB