* [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
@ 2010-04-30 14:03 Michael Arnold
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Arnold @ 2010-04-30 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Booting from the CR-ROM ISO download on 28 April and get the following:

PSB1...
Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR:0E28
Clockinit...alarminit...meminit...spollo...pcimatch...kbdinit...plan9.ini
probe...probing floppy...probing floppy...probing BIOS...probing
BIOS...islba:drive 0X80 extensions version 48.0 cx 0x5
extgetsize:drive 0x80 info flags 0x1
bios0:drive 0x80 160,000,000,000 bytes, type 3
islba:drive 0x81 extensions version 48.0 cx 0x5
extgetsize:drive 0x80 info flags 0x1
bios 1: drive 0x81: 500,107,862,016 bytes, type 3

And all activity seems to stop with cursor blinking.  Keyboard unresponsive
to CTL-R.

System is a dell precision 390; In BIOS, CR-ROM drive is Primary IDE Master.

As both keyboard and mouse are usb devices thought I¹d modify plan.ini, but
not sure which of the iso¹s plan9.ini¹s to modify:
/sys/lib/dist/pc/plan9.ini?

Some additional info on the hardware:
- CD Rom - Philips DVD+-RW DVD8801 ATA Device
- IDE Controller is an Intel 82801G (ICH7 family) Ultra ATA Storage
Controllers ­ 27D7F, PCI Bus 0,IRQ: 0x0000000E (14)
- IDE Controller is also an Intel 82801GR/GH SATA ACHI Controller, PCI Bus
0, IRQ: 0x00000012 (20)
- USB controller is Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family)
- Screen card is a Nvidia Quadro NVS 285, PCI Bus location 1, IRQ: 16
(another reason to modify plan9.ini)
-  2 SATA HDD, SATA0=160gig, SATA3=500,00gig (as above)
- uses GRUB

* Re: [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
@ 2010-04-30 14:07 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-30 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Some additional info on the hardware:
> - CD Rom - Philips DVD+-RW DVD8801 ATA Device
> - IDE Controller is an Intel 82801G (ICH7 family) Ultra ATA Storage
> Controllers ­ 27D7F, PCI Bus 0,IRQ: 0x0000000E (14)

try 9atom.  it works around quirks in ich7, especially with
sata + pata combos.

 ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9atom.iso.bz2

- erik

* [9fans] Plan9/Inferno realted BibTeX database?
@ 2010-04-30 14:18 ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-04-30 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, inferno-list

I've been doing some background reading for my thesis and have been having
some trouble figuring out how to cite some of the papers on IWP9, cat-v.org, etc.

If people would be willing to email me BibTeX citations I would be happy to
collate the collection and put it out on contrib.

  Thanks and best regards,

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
@ 2010-04-30 14:54 ` Pavel Klinkovsky
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2010-04-30 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> And all activity seems to stop with cursor blinking.  Keyboard unresponsive
> to CTL-R.
It starts to be typical...
Try Erik's 9atom.iso. ;-)

Pavel

* Re: [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
@ 2010-04-30 15:18   ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-04-30 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Pavel Klinkovsky

Pavel Klinkovsky <pavel.klinkovsky@gmail.com> said:

> > And all activity seems to stop with cursor blinking.  Keyboard unresponsive
> > to CTL-R.
>
> It starts to be typical...
> Try Erik's 9atom.iso. ;-)

maybe it is time to try to pack-port some of Erik's stuff to the canonical source.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno realted BibTeX database?
@ 2010-04-30 15:21   ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-04-30 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 08:18:09AM -0600, EBo wrote:

> I've been doing some background reading for my thesis and have been having
> some trouble figuring out how to cite some of the papers on IWP9, cat-v.org, etc.
What kind of trouble? Is there something missing that you need? i.e. publisher
(there usually isn't one for the papers), year, &c

--
I am a man who does not exist for others.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 205 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno realted BibTeX database?
@ 2010-04-30 15:40     ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-04-30 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacob Todd, ebo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > I've been doing some background reading for my thesis and have been having
> > some trouble figuring out how to cite some of the papers on IWP9,
> > cat-v.org, etc.
>
> What kind of trouble? Is there something missing that you need?
> i.e. publisher (there usually isn't one for the papers), year, &c

in addition to publisher, year, venue (for conferences), there is also page
numbers, institutions...  Just because the papers are published electronically
does not mean that they do not or cannot have this information.

Another question, is IWP9 peer reviewed?

@ 2010-04-30 16:08       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-30 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebo, 9fans

> in addition to publisher, year, venue (for conferences), there is also page
> numbers, institutions...  Just because the papers are published electronically
> does not mean that they do not or cannot have this information.

i'll put the pdf of the proceedings up as soon as i get
an electronic copy.  thanks in advance to ian.

> Another question, is IWP9 peer reviewed?

yes.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno realted BibTeX database?
@ 2010-04-30 22:59       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-04-30 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebo, 9fans

Search 8fans passim, there was alink to one of the US universities which had
a plan9 bibtex database.

If you put one on sources, can you also convert it to refer format for those
of us who are still troff luddites.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno realted BibTeX database?
@ 2010-05-01  0:29         ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2010-05-01  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

A university in Utah.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2010-05-01  1:06           ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2010-05-01  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/plan9.html

@ 2010-05-01  4:34             ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-01  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, Jacob Todd

Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@gmail.com> said:

> http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/plan9.html

Thanks for the pointer.  I've downloaded it and am taking a look at it now.

* Re: [9fans] Plan9/Inferno realted BibTeX database?
@ 2010-05-01  4:38         ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-01  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Simon, ebo, 9fans

Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> said:

> Search 8fans passim, there was alink to one of the US universities which had
> a plan9 bibtex database.

I searched around and could not find what you were referring to.

> If you put one on sources, can you also convert it to refer format for those
> of us who are still troff luddites.

I am willing to take a look at this, but my priority is to get an up to date
collection.  Do you know if there are any format converters which deal with
the appropriate troff code?  There might be some trick to using one of the
other tools to help with this but I have not programmed in nroff/troff in
probably 20 years.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
@ 2010-05-01 10:20   ` Michael Arnold
From: Michael Arnold @ 2010-05-01 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks erik - that works perfectly!

@ 2010-05-04  8:46   ` Pavel Klinkovsky
From: Pavel Klinkovsky @ 2010-05-04  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> maybe it is time to try to pack-port some of Erik's stuff to the canonical source.
I fully agree.

Pavel

* Re: [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
@ 2010-05-04  9:23     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-05-04  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The more interesting question is: who doesn't agree, and why?

@ 2010-05-04 12:16       ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-05-04 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> >> maybe it is time to try to pack-port some of Erik's stuff to the canonical
> >> source.
> > I fully agree.
>
> The more interesting question is: who doesn't agree, and why?

and the most important question -- who's going to work on it.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
@ 2010-05-04 13:07         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2010-05-04 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebo, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If this is true you must be quite a few steps ahead of us all.

@ 2010-05-04 21:57       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2010-05-04 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:23 AM, hiro <23hiro@googlemail.com> wrote:
> The more interesting question is: who doesn't agree, and why?
>
> On 5/4/10, Pavel Klinkovsky <pavel.klinkovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> maybe it is time to try to pack-port some of Erik's stuff to the canonical
>>> source.
>> I fully agree.
>>
>> Pavel

The argument here is that we need to sync 9atom back to sources, and
that may well be true.

But there's another path:
use mercurial to create a clone of http://bitbucket.org/rminnich/sysfromiso
you can call it 9atom.

You can put your changes there.

Then you can use the mercurial tools to continually refresh your 9atom
tree from sysfromiso.

In that way, you can provide a 9atom tree that is perfectly in sync
with sources, and it is easy for others to see what you have done.
And, most importantly, the maintainers of the main tree can easily see
what they need to see, and figure out what ought to come back to the
mainline, and pull back things that make sense to pull back.

There is real precedent nowadays for people to maintain forks of a
kernel tree, where they can experiment, and do so in a way that makes
merges back to the mainline easy.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Almost immediate ISO Boot Failure
@ 2010-05-04 22:02         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-05-04 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs