* [9fans] Intel 82567LM Ethernet
@ 2010-04-24 19:44 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-04-24 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is there any work going on to drive
the Intel 82567LM ethernet cards
from Plan 9?

I was trying to PXE boot my Thinkpad
X200s laptop, when Plan 9 aborted,
as there are no drivers for this card, so
it couldn't pull the kernel, post 9pxeload.

Thanks,
ak

* Re: [9fans] Intel 82567LM Ethernet
@ 2010-04-24 20:24 ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2010-04-24 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> Is there any work going on to drive
> the Intel 82567LM ethernet cards
> from Plan 9?
>
> I was trying to PXE boot my Thinkpad
> X200s laptop, when Plan 9 aborted,
> as there are no drivers for this card, so
> it couldn't pull the kernel, post 9pxeload.

did the kernel or 9pxeload abort?

iru

* Re: [9fans] Intel 82567LM Ethernet
@ 2010-04-24 21:41 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-24 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Apr 24 15:45:37 EDT 2010, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> Is there any work going on to drive
> the Intel 82567LM ethernet cards
> from Plan 9?

as far as i know the 82567lm does work.
while i don't have the hardware (i haven't
had more than half of the chips reported
supported), i didn't see anything in the data
sheet that was missing.

you will likely need to use 9atom or the
9atom 9pxeload (ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/9pxeload)

> I was trying to PXE boot my Thinkpad
> X200s laptop, when Plan 9 aborted,
> as there are no drivers for this card, so
> it couldn't pull the kernel, post 9pxeload.

could you send (offline) a screenshot and
the vid and did of the card?  including the
bars would be good, too.  thanks.

if it is the ethernet chipset, i'd like to make
it work.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Intel 82567LM Ethernet
@ 2010-04-24 21:43   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-04-24 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think 9pxeload.

The computer went on about its PXE boot
procedure, and got 9pxeload, which tried
to find the kernel from the CPU, but since
there is no support for this ethernet card,
the process failed there and returned to me
the "boot from:" prompt.

ak

@ 2010-04-24 22:20   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-04-24 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just tried the 9atom 9pxeload with my
Thinkpad X200s, and indeed the
ethernet card works enough for the loader
to pull the kernel.

The kernel, then, is a 9pc terminal,
compiled with IL support so that I can
communicate with Ken FS.

I get to the "root is from (tcp, il)[il]:" prompt,
with a message above saying,
"pcirouting: Cannot find south bridge PCI.255.31.7"
(if that's relevant for the following), and so
I proceed by hitting enter, accepting the IL
preference.

Lots of stuff passes by quickly, to where the
top of the screen reads,
"does not exist:
panic: boot process died: unknown
panic: boot process died: unknown
dumpstack
ktrace /kernel/path f0108cbe f004d308
estackx f004d5c0"
and kernel dump follows.

Sadly, everything before that scrolls
by too quickly for me to get a read.

Ideas? Perhaps I should try the 9atom
kernel? I would, but I need IL support -
is there any way to compile that in?

Thank you,
ak

@ 2010-04-24 22:36     ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2010-04-24 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> I think 9pxeload.
>
> The computer went on about its PXE boot
> procedure, and got 9pxeload, which tried
> to find the kernel from the CPU, but since
> there is no support for this ethernet card,
> the process failed there and returned to me
> the "boot from:" prompt.
>

> ak

i have a new pxe boot sector, mail me offlist if you want it.

@ 2010-04-24 22:43       ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-04-24 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just for the record: I'm able to boot into
Plan 9 on my Thinkpad X200s with
Ken FS as my filesystem.

Erik: apparently ftp.quanstro.net/other/9pc
supports IL? Awesome!

Thanks,
ak

@ 2010-04-24 23:33         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-04-24 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Apr 24 18:44:17 EDT 2010, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> Just for the record: I'm able to boot into
> Plan 9 on my Thinkpad X200s with
> Ken FS as my filesystem.
>
> Erik: apparently ftp.quanstro.net/other/9pc
> supports IL? Awesome!

yes.  i use ken's fs.  so does coraid.

- erik