* inferno
@ 2020-07-31  7:06 thinktankworkspaces
From: thinktankworkspaces @ 2020-07-31  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I heard mention of inferno in a few posts. Does anyone here still use that? If so why? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like dare i say on top of 9front?

* Re: [9front] inferno
@ 2020-07-31  7:26 ` sirjofri+ml-9front
From: sirjofri+ml-9front @ 2020-07-31  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hey,

> I heard mention of inferno in a few posts. Does anyone here still use that? If so why? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like dare i say on top of 9front?

I only use inferno on windows in acme sac (yes, it's based on inferno).

I think the main use case is like java: implement a nice 9p app with gui etc and run it on inferno base, either packaged into one package per app or using inferno as the desktop for multiple apps.

I once wrote a gridchat app for inferno, with gui etc. It worked the last time I checked and should still work. I didn't manage to package it with inferno, so you can't just download and run it.

sirjofri

* Re: [9front] inferno
@ 2020-07-31  9:59 ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2020-07-31  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020, at 8:06 AM, thinktankworkspaces@gmail.com wrote:
> I heard mention of inferno in a few posts. Does anyone here still use
> that? If so why? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like dare i say
> on top of 9front?

inferno looks and behaves the same on any system, plan 9 or other, that's what most attracted me to it. i stopped trying to use it when i switched to amd64 9front. at the time, it couldn't run on it. i don't know if it's been fixed. most of the inferno fans who were developing for it abandoned it when go came out. more recently, bhgv ported it to inferno and made a bunch of other improvements, but i don't think he ran it on plan 9.

http://vitanuova.com/
links inferno's list

also:
http://www.caerwyn.com/

there's more in inferno list archives.

* Re: [9front] inferno
@ 2020-07-31 10:01   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2020-07-31 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i like inferno, limbo, and how it works everywhere in userland.
for a while i used it for audio streaming between linux and windows
machines, and for ircfs (which also has a great gui) and combined with
bitlbee it was able to support all my chatting needs for compatibility
with mainstream people (back when facebook and google supported
federated jabber, and people were still using icq and msn instead of
this incompatible smartphone-locked-in modern stuff).
inferno didn't work on symbian s60v3 (putty did though), that was my
only complaint.

now i just use 9front bec. it keeps being maintained and comes with
many fresh ideas.
i'm not interested in limbo or go at this moment bec. i have to use C
for my dayjob and don't want the constant extra confusion or bad
feelings when certain other language features aren't available.

* Re: [9front] inferno
@ 2020-07-31 18:23   ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2020-07-31 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Friday, July 31, 2020, 6:02:11 AM EDT, Ethan Gardener <eekee57@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2020, at 8:06 AM, thinktankworkspaces@gmail.com wrote:
> > I heard mention of inferno in a few posts. Does anyone here still use
> > that? If so why? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like dare i say
> > on top of 9front?

I still use it primarily for teaching purposes.  It's the OS that
we study the internals of in the OS courses I teach.

> i stopped trying to use it when i switched to amd64 9front.
> at the time, it couldn't run on it. i don't know if it's been fixed.

 That is currently being worked on. More and more environments
are starting to say "thou shalt not 32-bit" so there's not much
choice.

BLS