* Re: [9front] new bounties: replace p9sk1; improve the tls(3) device
@ 2015-05-20 23:20 mveety
From: mveety @ 2015-05-20 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> On May 20, 2015 7:05 PM, <sl@9front.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I'll pay someone between $100 and $150 to make a driver for the nVidia
> > > GeForce GTX 460M.  Just being able to set the proper resolution and
> > > use it as a display or so would be awesome.  Ideally make it work like
> > > the vesa driver, in that you can set any resolution and not have to
> > > make a monitor definition for your display.  Something like "aux/vga
> > > -m geforce -l 1920x1080x32" or so.
> >
> > Support for newer nVidia cards would be great. I do have two older
> > cards that work with the existing driver.
> >
> > Note: The VESA driver only works with whatever modes the VESA BIOS
> > reports; unfortunately, we've found (for example) some laptops whose
> > VESA BIOS does not contain a mode for its LCD screen's native
> > resolution.
> >
> > sl
>
> I think this includes my w510.

It includes my laptop.  If I disable the internal display it lets me
set the native resolution of that display fine.  I would like to see a
tool that sets resolutions via vesa that aren't in the bios.  I know
this is possible because the hackintosh fags do it, but I have no clue
how it's done.  They don't document anything.

--
Veety

* Re: [9front] new bounties: replace p9sk1; improve the tls(3) device
@ 2015-05-20 23:08 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2015-05-20 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2015-05-20 23:03 ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2015-05-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

a 660m driver would be great. I could pay about the same price.

@ 2015-05-20 23:00 mveety
From: mveety @ 2015-05-20 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2015-05-20 21:31 sl
From: sl @ 2015-05-20 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> > Note: The VESA driver only works with whatever modes the VESA BIOS
>> > reports; unfortunately, we've found (for example) some laptops whose
>> > VESA BIOS does not contain a mode for its LCD screen's native
>> > resolution.
>> >
>> > sl
>>
>> I think this includes my w510.
>
> It includes my laptop.  If I disable the internal display it lets me
> set the native resolution of that display fine.  I would like to see a
> tool that sets resolutions via vesa that aren't in the bios.  I know
> this is possible because the hackintosh fags do it, but I have no clue
> how it's done.  They don't document anything.

There are several problems:

	- every VESA BIOS is unique
	- even cards with the same model number often contain
		different chips and/or firmware
	- some of them can be altered via software but there is no
		documentation at all
	- fucking up could explode your things

Based on prior experience with hackintosh, I also suspected that
tampering with VESA BIOS would be an option. A few years ago cinap
hacked a program, based on reports by hackintosh nerds:

	https://plan9.stanleylieber.com/hardware/thinkcentre/m55/8810-d3u/vbt.c

that I used to try to manipulate the VESA BIOS in two of my cards:

	nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
	ATI X1300

I never managed to induce a fully working mode at 1920x1080x32,
but I did succeed in altering some of the modes reported. In one
case I was able to induce  working 1920x1080 resolution, but the
colors were all garbled. After a while I gave up.

Again, though, every VESA BIOS is unique. The best hope is to
locate a card that someone already succeeded in altering and
hope that the card you actually receive happens to match the
card the person reported.

sl

* Re: [9front] new bounties: replace p9sk1; improve the tls(3) device
@ 2015-05-20 21:04 sl
From: sl @ 2015-05-20 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front