* Re: [9front] cwfs and hjfs
@ 2014-08-26 16:03 sl
From: sl @ 2014-08-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> I replaced this by SanDisk SDHC 4GB sd card.
> it improved the speed high.   However, it is
> still slow for me.
> To use Japanese, I use ktrans, and the speed is
> very slow.   It takes 2 to 3 seconds after I hit
> transkation key.   Also, it is difficult to acquire
> update by hg, where it stops on its work.
>
> I'd like to use cwfs on this SD card pi.

Hi Kenji,

In fqa4[0] we recommend at least 12GB for a cwfs installation. By default,
cwfs uses 16KB blocks and creates three separate subdivisions within the Plan 9
partition (worm, other, fscache), which ends up requiring more working space
than hjfs with it's 4KB blocks and single partition. At 4GB you may run out
of space fairly quickly after rebuilding the system and periodic dumps are
taken into account.

It also seems unlikely that file system speed is really your bottleneck. I used
the rpi tcp booted (no local disk access after boot) and experienced similar
problems. The USB ethernet seems to tax the system severely: when the network
was active I routinely experienced dropouts in typing on my USB keyboard. This
could also be related to voltage.

For what it's worth, the cat-v.org sites run on hjfs (at ramnode.com, KVM
backed by an SSD).

sl

[0] http://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/fqa4#4.3.6_-_configfs

* cwfs and hjfs
@ 2014-08-25  3:33 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2014-08-25  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I made cinap's 9pi SD, and found it was built
for hjfs.

Is the /dev/sdM0/fs is compatible, if I use cwfs
on the same media?

I know I'd be better to help t0 debug the experimental
hjfs.   However, I want to confine my effort to another now,
therefore I'd like to use cwfs also on 9pif, because it
is much faster than hjfs in my environment (micro SD card).

Kenji