* Re: [9front] Ports Tree utilities inclusion into 9front
@ 2015-10-29  1:03 mveety
From: mveety @ 2015-10-29  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> I'm not a priori opposed to this inclusion, but why not just put
> ports/ in your contrib, and then we can include it in the fqa?
>
> khm

Thats also a possiblity, but I would like a relationship similar to FreeBSD's or OpenBSD's
ports tree. All the tools are in the OS to use it, but the tree isn't by default. Also I
would like this to be a step towards removing shit (read acme) from the OS and shipping it
in the ports tree.

--
Veety

* Re: [9front] Ports Tree utilities inclusion into 9front
@ 2015-10-29  1:27 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2015-10-29  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 09:03:52PM -0400, mveety@mveety.com wrote:
> Thats also a possiblity, but I would like a relationship similar to FreeBSD's or OpenBSD's
> ports tree. All the tools are in the OS to use it, but the tree isn't by default. Also I
> would like this to be a step towards removing shit (read acme) from the OS and shipping it
> in the ports tree.

I mean, why not put the tools in contrib and just have a ports script
that brings them into the users namespace.  This keeps the ports tools
development out of the base system... which is what freebsd and openbsd
should have done to start with >:(

khm

* Re: [9front] Ports Tree utilities inclusion into 9front
@ 2015-10-29 17:57 mveety
From: mveety @ 2015-10-29 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> I think I understand what you mean, but the tools to install software
> are already in the base system.
>
> sl

Ports makes it easier to fetch and build, and I think a method to fetch and install
software should be either in or basically in the OS.

--
Veety

* Re: [9front] Ports Tree utilities inclusion into 9front
@ 2015-10-29  3:49 sl
From: sl @ 2015-10-29  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2015-10-29  3:17 mveety